Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12-01-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default A Prayer & Some Thoughts - December

December 1

Prayer To Live Well Today

Lord,
Your Word tells me not to worry about my life or the things of tomorrow. Forgive me for my lack of confidence in Your daily guidance and Your ability to work everything into something good.

Please help me to deal with those things I can, and make changes where necessary. Help me to leave those things I cannot change in Your care.

I choose to seek first your will, as I live one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Some things I do not miss since becoming sober.

That overall awful feeling physically, including the shakes, a splitting headache, pains in my arms and legs, bleary eyes, fluttering stomach, droopy shoulders, weak knees, a three-day beard, and a flushed complexion. Also, facing my loved one at breakfast. Also, composing the alibi and sticking to it. Also, trying to shave or put on make-up with a shaky hand. Also, opening up my wallet to find it empty.

So ............

I don't miss these things, do I?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Humility

An understanding of humility that makes sense to me is that of the man who is aware of his limitations but still reaches for the stars.

For years I thought that humility was groveling in the dirt. Keeping quiet and acting obsequious. Being a religious doormat for others to walk upon.

Nothing could be further from the truth! Humility is about speaking your mind, fighting for your ideas and opinions, creating through effort, sweat and debate. The humble man's ego is based on reality --- not fed on illusion. When he is wrong, he can admit it and is open to the ideas of others.

Humility is based upon a realistic self-love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inventory

When evening comes, perhaps before going to sleep, many of us draw up a balance sheet for the day.
This is a good place to remember that inventory-taking is not always done in red ink.
It's a poor day indeed when we haven't done something right.
As a matter of fact, the waking hours are usually well filled with things that are constructive.
Even when we have tried hard and failed, we may chalk that up as one of the greatest credits of all.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 93

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge." ~ Carl Jung
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 2

Prayer For New Perspective

Lord, some days my world seems to be spinning out of control. Everywhere I look, I see chaos—even in my own life. There are days where I long to just "throw in the towel."

Lord, give me a new perspective and blow away the cobwebs that keep cluttering my mind and my vision. Every time I'm tempted to become discouraged or depressed because of negative events or situations, help me to gain that new perspective.

With your perspective, I can push past the impossible and find the strength and courage to believe that no matter what happens, your hope will lift me to a higher plane—where joy and purpose reign again.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking most of us were full of pride and selfishness.

We believed we could handle our own affairs, even though we were making a mess of our lives. We were very stubborn and didn't like to take advice. We resented being told what to do. To us, humility looked like weakness. But when we came into A.A., we began to be humble. And we found out that humility gave us the power we needed to overcome drinking.

So ............

Have I learned that there is power in humility?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Trust

How much should we trust other people? This is an important question, because many of us have erred in both directions: we've trusted people too much or not enough.

We can find our answer in the spiritual side of the program. We do have a Higher Power in whom we can have absolute trust. We can have little doubt that the spiritual presence behind everything is infallible and supreme.

As human beings, we know that we can only be trusted in certain ways. We can work to develop our trustworthiness, but it is never high enough, even with the strongest souls. All of us have weaknesses that can keep us from being what we know to be our best.

In our 12 Step living, we should work to develop trust in both ourselves and others, but no be hurt or disappointed when things go wrong. Above all, our real trust should be in our Higher Power.

I'll work to be trusting and trustworthy, but I'll not expect too much of anybody, including myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tolerance

Finally, we begin to see that all people, including ourselves, are to some extent emotionally ill as well as frequently wrong. When this happens, we approach true tolerance and we see what real love for our fellows actually means.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 92

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Let your dreams be bigger than your fears, your actions louder than your words, and your faith stronger than your feelings.” ~ Unknown Author
Old 12-03-2021, 04:27 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 3

Prayer to Awaken The Dawn

Dear Lord,
Sometimes I arise before dawn, I awake in the darkness but know that the light will emerge. I wait on you Lord in hard times, just like those dark mornings when my heart feels cold, when I need to trust that the dawn will break, that light, life and love will shine bright. Help me to remember at these times that morning has broken through the darkness, and to trust you with the anxieties, fears and grief of the night. I will draw near to you, I will wait for the dawn.

~ Thomas Traherne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

...........practice these principles in all our affairs.

We do not just practice these principles in regard to our drinking problem. We practice them in all our affairs. We do not give one compartment of our lives to God and keep the other compartments to ourselves. We give our whole lives to God and we try to do His will in every respect. "Herein lies our growth, herein lies all the promise of the future, an ever widening horizon.

So ............

Do I carry the A.A. principles with me wherever I go?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Decision Making

Self-pity is often rooted in the strong feeling that people or conditions have victimized us. "I never had a chance" and "You deceived me!" are common complaints that reveal self-pity. It is astonishing and humbling to learn that we always have choices, even when other people or bad conditions are grinding us down.

We choose our attitudes and responses. We have neither the power nor the right to control others, but we can choose to soften our attitudes toward them, and we can forgive and release people we don't like.
We can always choose how we want to think and feel. It may take effort to break the habit of feeling victimized and sorry for ourselves, but our higher power will show us the way if we decide that is what we really want.

I can always make choices that will enhance my life and place me on a better footing for the days ahead. Nobody can ruffle my feathers today or make me feel oppressed and victimized.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy, Joyous and Free

We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. We cannot subscribe to the belief that this life is a vale of tears, though it once was just that for many of us. But it is clear that we made our own misery. God didn't do it. Avoid then, the deliberate manufacture of misery, but if trouble comes, cheerfully capitalize it as an opportunity to demonstrate His omnipotence.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 133

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“In life, you can blame a lot of people and you can wallow in self-pity or you can pick yourself up and say listen, I have to be responsible for myself.” ~ Howard Schultz

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 12-04-2021, 04:49 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 4

Just for Today Prayer

Just for today, help me, God, to remember that my life is a gift, that my health is a blessing, that this new day is filled with awesome potential, that I have the capacity to bring something wholly new and unique and good into this world.

Just for today, help me, God, to remember to be kind and patient to the people who love me, and to those who are around me. Teach me to see all the beauty that I so often ignore, and to listen to the silent longing of my own soul.

Just for today, help me, God, to remember You are in charge.
Let this be a good day, God, full of joy and love.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The term "spiritual experience" as given in Appendix II of the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous:

"A spiritual experience is something that brings about a personality change. By surrendering our lives to God as we understand Him, we are changed. The nature of this change is evident in recovered alcoholics. This personality change is not necessarily in the nature of a sudden and spectacular upheaval. We do not need to acquire an immediate and overwhelming God consciousness, followed at once by a vast change in feeling and outlook. In most cases, the change is gradual.

So ............

Do I see a gradual and continuing change in myself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Difficult Circumstances

All of us have some difficult circumstances to face. We have many uncontrollable circumstances in our lives, but we don't have to give ourselves over to them.

We are always within the circle of God's love. Always! Knowing that helps us make peace with the limits on what we can do about our situations. Then we can go forth working to make peace in our relationships, accomplish what is possible in our lives, and make a contribution to others.

The frustrations around me are not all of who I am. When I am at peace within, I live among spiritual riches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Guarantee

Sobriety is no guarantee that the recovering alcoholic will become a wise sage, but it is almost certain that trying not to repeat their past follies will make them a little smarter. It is suggested that anyone who is trying to stay sober should go to the meetings of A. A. because the disease of alcoholism has a built-in forgetter and those who forget their past follies are usually doomed to repeat them. Today, show everyone how wise you are by practicing the spiritual principles in all of your affairs. Recovery is one day at a time. Sobriety is a blessing from our Higher Power.

(Not sure of the source)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Few Quotes

“No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change.” ~ Barbara de Angelis

“Sometimes you have to do what’s best for you and your life, not what’s best for everyone else.” ~ Anonymous A.A.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 5

Prayer for a Heavy Heart

Lord,
My heart is heavy. I feel like I have to carry the burden alone.
Words like overwhelmed, distraught, exhausted seem to describe where I am.
I am not sure how to let you carry my heavy load, so please show me how.
Take it from me. Let me rest and be refreshed so that my heart won’t be so heavy in the morning.
Amen.

~ Ron Moore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

For most of us, our spiritual experiences are of the educational variety, and they develop slowly over a period of time.

Quite often friends of newcomers are aware of the difference long before they are themselves. They finally realize that they have undergone a profound alteration in their reaction to life and that such a change could hardly have been brought about by themselves alone.

So ............

Is my outlook on life changing for the better?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Character Defects

We are inclined to feel that our problems and difficulties are largely due to circumstances and other people. We see that the root of our difficulty lies in being centered on self. Our egos can take us only so far before we reach a point where continued growth demands that we begin to abandon them. It is a relief to get rid of the anxiety, frustration, and fear that goes with an ego-centered life!

Focusing on our "God" removes our character defects as we become willing to let go of them. Honest awareness is our first task, and this is facilitated by maintaining abstinence from compulsive behavior. As we change, circumstances and relationships improve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Better Than Gold

As newcomers, many of us have indulged in spiritual intoxication. Like a gaunt prospector, belt drawn in over the last ounce of food, we saw our pick strike gold. Joy at our release from a lifetime of frustration knew no bounds.

The newcomer feels he has struck something better than gold. He may not see at once that he has barely scratched the limitless lode which will pay dividends only if he mines it for the rest of his life and insists on giving away the entire product.

Alcoholics Anonymous, pages 128-129

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” ~ David Brinkley
Old 12-06-2021, 02:50 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 6

Gratitude Prayer

Thank you, God, for another day
For helping me live in a decent way
Thank you for the joy of living
And the happiness that comes from giving
Teach me to wake to the morning sun
With the prayer 'Thy Will Be Done'
Thank you, God, for another day
Thank you, God for AA,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

It is essential that the A.A. program become part of us.

We must have its essentials at our fingertips. We cannot study the Big Book too much or too often. The more we read it and study it, the better equipped we are to think A.A., act A.A., and live A.A. We cannot know too much about the program. The chances are that we will never know enough. But we can make as much of it our own as possible.

So ...........

How much of the Big Book have I thoroughly mastered?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Human Race

Try to remember that we're part of a larger fellowship called " the human race."

We all hurt the same. We all love the same. We all need understanding and care. Yet, in other ways, we are not all the same.
Let's remember to understand differences among people. If not, we'll be afraid of anyone who's not like us.
And this isn't God's way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conviction and Compromise

One qualification for a useful life is give-and-take, the ability to compromise cheerfully. Compromise comes hard to us "all or nothing" drunks. Nevertheless, we must never lose sight of the fact that progress is nearly always characterized by a series of improving compromises.

Of course, we cannot always compromise. There are circumstances in which it is necessary to stick flat-footed to one's convictions until the issue is resolved. Deciding when to compromise and when not to compromise always calls for the most careful discrimination.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 59

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Compromise is not about losing. It is about deciding that the other person has just as much right to be happy with the end result as you do." ~ Donna Martini
Old 12-07-2021, 04:30 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 7

Prayer When Frustrated

Lord, I feel so frustrated I just want to scream out ‘aargh’ but I can’t even do that.
I try to get through to others what it’s like, but I can’t.
I try to tell them how I feel, but they don’t understand.
I try to tell them what I want, what I need, but I can’t get through.
It’s all so hopeless. I don’t know why I even bother trying.
I hate being helpless: I like to be doing things and relating to people, but I can’t.
I just lie here, stuck, unable to do anything about my situation.
Anxiously I look for signs of hope, signs that the future might be brighter.
Any glimmer of light is seized upon, but the joy is short-lived because the struggle is so intense, the frustration so great.

Don’t leave me, Lord. I need you like I’ve never needed you before.
At least you know what I’m thinking, how I’m feeling.
And I know that I am not alone, not really alone, at all.
Help me to endure the unendurable, give me the courage to keep on trying— again and again and again— so that I don’t sink into the pit of black despair.
Amen.

~ Helen Prior

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We need to check up on ourselves periodically.

Just how good an A.A. am I? Am I attending meetings regularly? Am I doing my share to carry the load? When there is something to be done, do I volunteer? Do I speak at meetings when asked, no matter how nervous I am? Do I accept each opportunity to do twelfth step work as a challenge? Do I give freely of my time and money? Am I trying to spread A.A. wherever I go? Is my daily life a demonstration of A.A. principles? Am I a good A.A.?

So ............

Am I lacking in any of these areas??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Envy

We often find ourselves envying someone else. We think they have more money or more friends. We see them as better looking or luckier in some way than we are.

It is so easy to overlook our own gifts when we do this. We get fooled by what looks good and forget that all human beings have some weaknesses and pain, just like we do. Like the trees in the forest, we each have our own unique beauty and talents to offer. If we believe in ourselves, rather than envy those around us, we will grow green and tall in our own way.

What qualities might I have that someone might envy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common Good

The unity, the effectiveness, and even the survival of A.A. will always depend upon our continued willingness to give up some of our personal ambitions and desires for the common safety and welfare. Just as sacrifice means survival for the individual alcoholic, so does sacrifice mean unity and survival for the group and for A.A.'s entire Fellowship.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 220

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Today I can set my goals with the clear and confident knowledge that I can only do one thing at a time and take one step at a time towards that goal. I do not need to wait until I reach the goal to be happy and satisfied. I am fulfilled with each step, knowing that is all I can do in each moment." ~ Ruth Fishel
Old 12-08-2021, 04:21 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 8

Discernment and Wisdom Prayer

Lord,
Thank You for the people You have placed in my life who speak truth, love and words of wisdom.
Give me a heart of discernment to know when You are using someone to speak instructions into my heart and my circumstances, and give me the strength and courage to follow through with that advice, even when it’s hard.
Fill me with peace in knowing that even if I take a wrong turn, Your purpose will prevail.
Amen.

~ Tracie Miles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

There are no leaders in A.A. except as they volunteer to accept responsibility.

The work of carrying on A.A. - leading group meetings, serving on committees, speaking before other groups, doing twelfth step work, spreading A.A. among the alcoholics of the community - all these things are done on a volunteer basis. If I don't volunteer to do something concrete for A.A., the movement is that much less effective. I must do my fair share to carry the load. A.A. depends on all its members to keep it alive and to keep it growing.

So ............

Am I doing my share for A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Finding Courage

During any group discussion of fear, someone usually points out that it serves a protective purpose by keeping us out of harm's way.

With the type of fear that drove us, however, we more often fled into further harm while trying to avoid the threats at hand. No person whose fear reaches a panic stage can effectively control his or her actions.

We cannot expect sobriety alone to make us exempt from fear. What it can do is give us an ability to handle our fear constructively.

There are steps to doing this. FIRST, we should not be too prideful to admit that fear can come to us. SECOND, we should admit it when we do feel fear. THIRD, we can discuss our fear with others while turning it over to our Higher Power.
It would be wonderful if these steps then lifted us above any sense of fear. Even if this doesn't happen completely, we've succeeded in mastering our problems if we don't let fear drive us to work against ourselves. If I am afraid to give a presentation for work or go for a job interview, for example, I am being driven into inaction. This must not be allowed to happen.

I can find courage in the Twelve Step program. This will enable me to act properly and responsibly, even if I'm a bit queasy with fear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meditation and Prayer Rewards

Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of meditation and prayer is the sense of belonging that comes to us. We no longer live in a completely hostile world. We are no longer lost and frightened and purposeless. The moment we catch even a glimpse of God's will, the moment we begin to see truth, justice, and love as the real and eternal things in life, we are no longer deeply disturbed by all the seeming evidence to the contrary that surrounds us in purely human affairs. We know that God lovingly watches over us. We know that when we turn to Him, all will be well with us, here and hereafter.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 105

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Every time you think you’re being rejected, God's actually redirecting you to something better. Ask him to give you the strength to press forward.” ~ Nick Vujicic
Old 12-09-2021, 05:20 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 9

New Day Prayer

Lord, I place today in Your hands and trust You to direct my day until I place my head back onto my pillow of sleep. I ask that whether in busyness or in quietude, Your will be done. Whether I am surrounded by crowds of people or remain in the solitude of my own company, I ask that You would be there to direct. I pray that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my inner being, would be pleasing and acceptable to You throughout today, and may Your will be done.
Amen.

From a Prayer by Jim Witherspoon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

If I do not do my share, A.A. might lose some of its effectiveness.
Are there some things I do not feel like doing? Am I held back by self-consciousness or fear?

Self-consciousness is a form of pride. It is a fear that something may happen to you. What happens to you is not very important. The impression you make on others does not depend so much on the kind of a job you do as on your sincerity and honesty of purpose.

So ............

Am I holding back because I am afraid of not making a good impression?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Honest Desire

In the first bloom of sobriety, many recovering people confront drinking companions who also "need" the program. They're often surprised and disillusioned when efforts to help their friends are rejected... sometimes curtly.

We're truly limited to helping those who desire recovery, not those who we think need it. Though intervention methods can be effective, we're still largely helpless to assist those who don't desire recovery.

We regret that we really have no answers for the millions who perish from alcoholism, unaware of their problem. We also can hold out little hope that any future recovery attempts will succeed without the individual alcoholic's cooperation.

Desire..... a personal determination and decision.... is necessary for almost any kind of change. We have the freedom to choose in many areas of our lives, and alcoholics must eventually choose recovery in order to find and maintain it.

Though I'd love to see others recover, I must accept the fact that their personal desire and choice is necessary. I'll remember this if any opportunities arise today to carry the message.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling Alone

And what can be said of many A.A. members who, for a variety of reasons, cannot have a family life? At first many of these feel lonely, hurt, and left out as they witness so much domestic happiness about them. If they cannot have this kind of happiness, can A.A. offer them satisfactions of similar worth and durability? Yes--whenever they try hard to seek them out. Surrounded by so many A.A. friends, these so-called loners tell us they no longer feel alone. In partnership with others--women and men--they can devote themselves to any number of ideas, people, and constructive projects. Free of marital responsibilities, they can participate in enterprises which would be denied to family men and women. We daily see such members render prodigies of service, and receive great joys in return.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 120

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do." ~ Brene Brown
Old 12-10-2021, 03:06 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 10

Gratitude for the Simple Things

Thank you, God, for all your blessings to me and my family;
for the strength you give me each day and
for all the people around me who make life more meaningful.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have lost many of my resentments.

I have found that getting even with people doesn't do any good. When we try to get revenge, instead of making us feel better, it leaves us frustrated and cheated. Instead of punishing our enemies, we've only hurt our own peace of mind. It does not pay to nurse a grudge; it hurts us more than anyone else. Hate causes frustration, inner conflict, and neurosis. If we give out hate, we will become hateful. If we are resentful, we will be resented. If we do not like people, people will not like us. Revengefulness is a powerful poison in our systems.

So ............

Have I lost my resentments?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Relationships

There is a gift for us in each relationship that comes our way. Sometimes the gift is a behavior we're learning to acquire: detachment, self esteem, becoming confident enough to set a boundary, or owning our power in another way.

Some relationships trigger healing in us. We find ourselves learning the most important lessons from the people we least expect to help us. We learn about loving ourselves or someone else.Or we'll learn to let others love us.We don't have to control this process.

I will try to open myself to the lesson and the gift from each person in my life. I will trust that I, too, am a gift in other people's lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Reservation

We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Expecting the world to be fair to you because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." ~ Vernon Davis
Old 12-11-2021, 04:54 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 11

Prayer for Facing This Day

Dear God,
Please give me strength when I am weak, love when I feel forsaken, courage when I am afraid,
wisdom when I feel foolish, comfort when I am alone, hope when I feel rejected,
and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Today, I am less self-centered.

The world used to revolve around me at the center.
I cared more about my own needs, desires and my own pleasure, my own way, myself than I did about the whole rest of the world. What happened to me was more important than anything else I could think of. I was selfishly trying to be happy and therefore I was unhappy most of the time. I have found that selfishly seeking pleasure does not bring true happiness. Thinking of myself all the time cuts me off from the best in life. A.A. taught me to care less about myself and more about the other person.

So ............

Today, am I less self-centered?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Humility

In our struggles with self-abasement, self-hate and guilt, which often alternates with feelings of superiority, is not the spiritual quality of humility.

With humility, we respect ourselves and our place in the universe. Humility is having ourselves in perspective, knowing we are connected to the whole world, accepting how small and powerless we are, and accepting the power and responsibility we have. With this spiritual feeling comes a sense of awe for the world we live in and a feeling of gratitude for the life we've been given.

The humility I feel today goes hand in hand with my self-respect and gratefulness for being part of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life on Life's Terms

For years, I was sure the worst thing that could happen to a nice guy like me would be that I would turn out to be an alcoholic. Today, I find it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. This proves I don't know what's good for me. And if I don't know what's good for me, then I don't know what's good or bad for you or for anyone. So I'm better off if I don't give advice, don't figure I know what's best, and just accept life on life's terms, as it is today--especially my own life, as it actually is. Before AA, I judged myself by my intentions, while the world was judging me by my actions.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 449-450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I am open and willing to take a step forward in a new direction. I am no longer allowing myself to stay stuck by old thoughts and feelings. This new place is exciting and energizing." ~ Ruth Fishel''
Old 12-12-2021, 04:51 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 12

An Amends Prayer

Dear God,
Now I pray for Your help in making me entirely ready to change my destructive patterns.
Give me the strength to deal with the character defects I’ve turned over to You.
Allow me to accept all the changes You want to make in me.
Help me to be the person You want me to be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I think of all who have gone before me, I realize that I am only one, not the most important, person.

What happens to me is not so very important after all. And A.A. has taught me to be more outgoing, to seek friendship by going at lest halfway, to have a sincere desire to help. I have more self-respect now that I have less sensitiveness. I have found that the only way to live comfortably with myself is to take a real interest in others.

So ............

Do I realize that I am not so important after all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Discipline

Adults, as well as children need discipline to feel secure.

Discipline means ............
understanding there are logical consequences to our behavior.
taking responsibility for our behavior and the consequences.
learning to wait for what we want.
being willing to work for and toward what we want.
learning and practicing new behaviors.
being where we need to be, when we need to be there, despite our feelings.

Discipline is the day to day performing of tasks, whether these are behaviors or washing the dishes.
Discipline involves trusting that our goals will be reached though we cannot see them

Discipline can be grueling. We may feel afraid, confused, and uncertain. Later, we will see the purpose. But this clarity of sight usually does not come during the time of discipline.We may not even believe we're moving forward.But we are.

The task at hand during times of discipline is simple: listen, trust, and obey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Truth, the Liberator

How truth makes us free is something that we A.A.'s can well understand. It cut the shackles that once bound us to alcohol. It continues to release us from conflicts and miseries beyond reckoning; it banishes fear and isolation. The unity of our Fellowship, the love we cherish for each other, the esteem in which the world holds us--all of these are products of the truth which, under God, we have been privileged to perceive.

As Bill Sees It Page 70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Learn to ask for forgiveness for the wrongs you've done because you will not die if you swallow your pride." ~ Innah Delos Angeles

resentmentporcupine.jpg
Old 12-13-2021, 05:27 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 13

Holiday Depression Prayer

Lord, it seems so silly and wrong to get so depressed about this up-coming holiday, but Lord You know that I find holidays quite difficult to cope with, and I know that I cannot break out of this cycle of holiday depression, without Your help and strength.

Show me what I ought to do in order to prevent this from happening. Teach me what to do when panicky thoughts start to fill up my mind and show me how to prevent those thoughts from taking hold of me, and pushing me back into a state of despair and depression. Lord, may I truly break free of this recurring holiday depression once and for all
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I am less critical of other people, inside and outside of A.A.

I used to run people down all the time. I realize now that it was because I wanted unconsciously to build myself up. I was envious of people who lived normal lives. I couldn't understand why I couldn't be like them. And so I ran them down. I called them sissies or hypocrites. I was always looking for faults in the other person. I loved to tear down what I called "a stuffed shirt" or "a snob." I have found that I can never make a person any better by criticism. A.A. has taught me this.

So ............

Am I less critical of people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Anticipation

We wear ourselves out unnecessarily when we spend our energy anticipating the future rather than living in the present. To anticipate bad things is obviously detrimental. Also, it's needless, since most of the things we worry about never happen.

Anticipating future satisfactions can also be detrimental. We may build up some future pleasure in our minds to such an unrealistic pitch that the actual event is bound to be disappointing.

Accepting the here and now is what ensures our sanity and our serenity. Reality is never more than we can manage, with the help of our Higher Power. It is our anticipation of the future, which is unreal and dangerous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Way Out

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“It's not the burdens of everyday life that drive men mad. It is the regret of yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves that rob us of today.” -- Unknown Author
Old 12-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 14

Another Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity
To stop beating myself up for not doing things perfectly,
The courage to forgive myself because I’m working on doing better,
And the wisdom to know that You already love me just the way I am.

~ Eleanor Brownn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

People who have had a slip are ashamed of themselves - sometimes so ashamed that they fear to go back to A.A.

They develop the old inferiority complex and tell themselves that they are no good, that they have let down their friends in A.A., that they are hopeless, and that they can never make it. This state of mind is perhaps worse than it was originally. They have probably been somewhat weakened by their slip. But their A.A. training cannot ever be entirely lost. They always know they can go back if they want to. They know there is still God's help for them if they will again ask for it.

So ............

Do I believe that I can never entirely lose what I have learned in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Acceptance

To finally come to self acceptance. To accept and be comfortable in my own skin. That is one of the keys to life isn’t it?

To be done with perfectionism in all its forms. To learn to practice imperfection in all things in life. I’ve heard it said that in Japanese art when an object like a jar is broken they fill in the cracks with gold. The brokenness and imperfection is what makes the object even more valuable and beautiful. May I see imperfection in that way in my own life. As Leonard Cohen said, “Everything has a crack in it, that’s how the light gets in.”

To forgive myself because I’m in process and it’s all learning and I’ll never be done learning. The thought that life is one big experiment, frees me to experiment, explore and have fun. And I am working on doing better, I always want to improve and to learn more for the joy of it rather than having to prove anything to anyone or to get in good with God, but to become fully myself.

What I’m discovering in deeper ways in my life, is the greatest wisdom in life – is to believe, know, experience and soak in the love of God and to allow that love to overflow in my life so that I will love well – others and even myself. It’s a powerful truth to realize that God loves and accepts me just as I am, just the way I am. Grace is to accept the fact of your acceptance by God, no matter what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understanding

Gradually, however, God began to clear my channels so that real understanding began to come. Then was the time when full realization and acknowledgement came to me. It was realization and acknowledgement of the fact that I was full of self-pity and resentment, realization that I had not fully given my problems to God. I was still trying to do my own fixing.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.” ~ Robert Holden
Old 12-15-2021, 05:55 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 15

Prayer for Guidance and Strength

Lord,
I pray that you guide me and strengthen me as I carry my many burdens.
My burdens weigh down my heart, and I doubt at times if I can bear it.
When I am upset or anxious, bring me strength and calmness.
Bring me peace in my time of need and help me to find happiness every day.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What makes an effective talk at a meeting?

It is not a fine speech with a fine choice of words and an impressive delivery. Often a few simple words direct from the heart are more effective than the most polished speech. There is always a temptation to speak beyond your own experience, in order to make a good impression. This is never effective. What does not come from the heart does not reach the heart. What comes from personal experience and a sincere desire to help the other person reaches the heart.

So ............

Do I speak for effect or with a deep desire to help?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Nourishment

We neglect to provide ourselves with nourishment for our minds and souls.

Life's experiences include joy and beauty and pain and grief. If we are uplifted every day by beauty in its many forms, we are strengthened and carried along to meet the tougher parts of our day. We may need to push some other things aside to have it. Perhaps some jobs can wait until tomorrow, and we can linger over a meal with our loved ones. Maybe mowing the lawn or fixing the car isn't as important as a half-hour of good music. Do we make space for nourishing moments each day?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Success" in Twelfth-Stepping

We now see that in twelfth-stepping the immediate results are not so important. Some people start out working with others and have immediate success. They are likely to get cocky. Those of us who are not so successful at first get depressed.

As a matter of fact, the successful worker differs from the unsuccessful only in being lucky about his prospects. He simply hits newcomers who are ready and able to stop at once. Given the same prospects, the seemingly unsuccessful person would have produced almost the same results. You have to work on a lot of newcomers before the law of averages commences to assert itself.

As Bill Sees It Page 165

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The moment you accept that there's a guidance system supporting you, then you experience a new sense of freedom and peace.” ~ Gabrielle Bernstein

Post New ThreadReply