Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06-16-2022, 05:17 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 16

A Prayer For Common Sense

Lord,
Give me the common sense to do common sense things.
Give me the wisdom to see things as they are and not as I want them to be or as I hope for them to be.
Show me the way to use what you have given me rather than letting me long for things I do not have or cannot use.
In your ways of working in the world, let the light you have given me be a light for others.
When I want to go about my life and build castles in the sky, show me the needs of those around me who hunger for the humblest abodes.
When I tend to overlook the most common of people, places, and things, show me these people, places, and things are made by you.
Show me the most common people, places, and things are given to me as an opportunity to let your light shine in the world.
When I think I need special people, places, things, and circumstances to do your work, show me they are already within my grasp through you.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When drinking we did not practice any self-discipline.

We alcoholics used so little self control when we were drinking; we were so absolutely selfish, that it does us good to give up something once in a while. Using self-discipline and denying ourselves a few things is good for us. At first, giving up alcohol is a big enough job for all of us, even with God's help. But later on, we can practice self-discipline in other ways to keep a firm grip on our minds so that we don't start any wishful thinking. If we daydream too much, we'll be in danger of slipping.

So ............

Am I practicing enough self-discipline?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Charity & Service

Charity is not just giving money to good causes. Charity is having a heart that's ready to give. Charity is helping a friend at two in the morning. Charity is going early to the meeting to put on coffee without being asked.

Service is how Twelve Step programs refer to "Charity". Service and charity are a lifestyle. We see a need, so we try to help. Our values and our heart will guide us in how we help. Service is a big part of our program. Service helps us think of others, not just of ourselves. We stop asking, "What's in it for me?" The act of helping others is what's in it for us. Sobriety is what's in it for us. Serenity is what's in it for us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunlight

He said, "Why don't you choose your own conception of God?"
That statement hit me hard. It melted the icy intellectual mountain in whose shadow I had lived and shivered many years. I stood in the sunlight at last. It was only a matter of being willing to believe in a Power greater than myself.
Nothing more was required of me to make my beginning.

Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 12

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done.” – Josh Billings
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2022, 05:15 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 17

Self-Respect Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank You for giving me the richest gift of all:
You taught me to respect myself.
I have the ability to say “no” to the toxic people in my life.
I am able to surround myself with only those who share authentic love through word and deed.
I can grow to my full potential.

Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

One thing that keeps me sober is a feeling of loyalty to the other members of the group.

I know I'd be letting them down if I ever took a drink. When I was drinking, I wasn't loyal to anybody. I should have been loyal to my family, but I wasn't. I let them down by drinking. When I came into A.A., I found a group of people who were not only helping each other to stay sober, but who were loyal to each other by staying sober themselves.

So ............

Am I loyal to my group?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Rest

When we are tired, we need to stop and give ourselves time to rest. Sometimes we think we can't spare the time. But without rest, all our activity soon becomes a burden and there is no joy in it. Animals know it is necessary to take time to rest. This is part of the rhythm of life: activity and rest, effort and relaxation.

Our bad moods are often our body's way of telling us we need rest. When we were little, we needed naps. Somehow, we forget to allow ourselves this right when we are older. We are wise to remember we never outgrow this need for rest to make the day go better.
When we return to our day refreshed, we have given ourselves and all those around us the gift of ourselves at our best.
I do better when I am rested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source of Strength

I would tell a friend of mine, who was having the same problems, that I prayed to God not to take a drink today and not to get married today. It was a sort of pact. I was very serious about this. I couldn't seem to handle romance and God too well at the same time. And God did start to give me the strength that I had always thought would come from the man in my life.

Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, Pages 102-103

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Remember, you have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn't worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens." ~ Louise L. Hay
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 06-18-2022, 05:27 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 18

Prayer of Thanks

Sometimes life gets me down and I find it hard to see things to be thankful for.
I am also thankful for the strength you give me each day and for all the people around me who make life more meaningful.
Open my eyes to see the gifts you’ve given me in my life.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We can depend on those members of any group who have gone all out for the program.

They come to meetings. They work with other alcoholics. We don't have to worry about them slipping. They're loyal members of the group. I'm trying to be a loyal member of the group. When I'm tempted to take a drink, I tell myself that if I did I'd be letting down the other members who are the best friends I have.

So ............

Am I going to let them down, if I can help it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear

As alcoholics, we had lots of fear. Some of us were afraid of failure. So we didn't try to do much. Or else we tried too hard all the time. We used alcohol to forget our fear, but it didn't go away. It got worse. Now we know we don't have to be afraid. When our lives are in the care of our Higher Power, we're safe. Faith is the cure for our fear. But still, fear keeps creeping back inside us. That's okay. It's normal. There is so much that's new in our sober life! We don't know what will happen next. It's hard to always remember to trust our Higher Power. It's hard to always do what our Higher Power says. It's hard to always have faith. We have to practice turning our fear over to our Higher Power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amends

It is important for me to realize that, as an alcoholic, I not only hurt myself, but also those around me. Making amends to my family, and to the families of alcoholics still suffering, will always be important. Understanding the havoc I created and trying to repair the destruction, will be a lifelong endeavor. The example of my sobriety may give others hope, and faith to help themselves.

Daily Reflections Page 173

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The world we have created is a product of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 06-19-2022, 07:35 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 19

Anxiety and Depression Prayer

Dear Lord,
I come to You today to ask for help.
Lord, I need rest. I give You my worry. Take it, Lord.
I accept Your peace, love, and understanding.
Help me to turn to You and not to myself.
Help me to stop doing and start trusting.
Help me to wait on Your answers, because I know that they are good.
Give me wisdom, hope, and peace.
Thank you, Lord, for Your patience and grace.
Amen

~ Lori B.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fathers in Our Lives

We give our thanks for the fathers in our lives.

Fatherhood does not come with a manual, and reality teaches us that some fathers excel while others fail.
We ask for Your blessings for them all and forgiveness where it is needed.

This Father's Day we remember the many sacrifices fathers make for their children and families, and the ways--both big and small--they lift children to achieve dreams thought beyond reach.

So too, we remember all those who have helped fill the void when fathers pass early or are absent; grandfathers and uncles, brothers and cousins, teachers, pastors and coaches and the women of our families.

For those who are fathers, we ask for wisdom and humility in the face of the task of parenting. Give them the strength to do well by their children .
Amen

~ Rev. Chuck Currie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We come into A.A., looking for a way out of drinking.

We really need a lot more than that. We need fellowship. We need to get the things that are troubling us out into the open. We need a new outlet for our energies and we need a new strength beyond ourselves that will help us face life instead of running away from it. In A.A. we find these things that we need.

So ............

Have I found the things that I need?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Truth

Before recovery, we relied on false facts about addiction. We said things like, "I can quit anytime I want." "If you had my family, you'd drink too." The truth is, we were out of control. We couldn't manage our lives. We were sick. We were scared. When others pointed out this truth to us, we denied it. Honesty, the backbone of our program, is about truth. We even start our meetings with the truth about who we are. "Hi, my name is ___________, and I'm an alcoholic." The truth frees us from our addiction. The truth heals us and gives us comfort. It's like a blanket on a cold winter night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helping Others

When trying to help a fellow alcoholic,
I've given in to an impulse to give advice, and perhaps that's inevitable.
But allowing others the right to be wrong reaps its own benefits.
The best I can do -- and it sounds easier than it is to put into practice -- is to listen, share personal experience, and pray for others.

Daily Reflections Page 364

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We could accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible" ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old 06-20-2022, 05:44 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 19

Comforting Prayer

Lord, my life is full of difficulties.
I am anxious about everything and I am consumed with worry.
Even though I know that You always provide, I struggle to apply this to my life.
Let Your comforting spirit descend upon me.
Let it wash through me so that I might know this comfort and learn to trust in You.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

People often ask what makes the A.A. program work.

One of the answers is that A.A. works because it gets a person away from himself as the center of the universe. And it teaches him to rely more on the fellowship of others and on strength from God. Forgetting ourselves in fellowship, prayer, and working with others is what makes the A.A. program work.

So ............

Are these things keeping me sober?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Grief

How can we measure all the grief we feel, and how can we put up with it? Doesn't the Grief of Death weigh a ton or more? Doesn't it stretch out to a month, a year, or longer still? Is the Grief of Failure lighter than the Grief of Despair, but maybe longer? Isn't the Grief of Emptiness the heaviest of all? Whether we try to ignore or make light of it, our grief, like a ton of feathers or a ton of rocks, is all the same to us. This much is sure: if we lock our grief in, it will weigh more on us and lengthen out; if we open our hearts with weeping and words, others will help carry it away.

What sadness can I let go of by sharing it today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simplicity

A willingness to do whatever I was told to do simplified the program for me. Study the AA book - don't just read it. They told me to go to meetings, and I still do at every available opportunity, whether I am at home or in some other city. Attending meetings has never been a chore for me. Nor have I attended them with a feeling of just doing my duty. Meetings are both relaxing and refreshing to me after a hard day. They said 'Get active," so I helped whenever I could, and still do.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, Page 381

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.” ~ Arthur Somers Roche

Old 06-21-2022, 07:01 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 21

Prayer for Hope

Lord send me hope. There are times when I feel helpless and weak. I want a better future and life but I can’t see it. I need love and kindness.

The sky is at its darkest just before the light. I pray that this is true, for all seems dark. I need your light, Lord, in every way.

I pray to be filled with your light from head to toe. To bask in your glory. To know that all is right in the world, as you have planned, and as you want it to be. Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

A drinking life isn't a happy life. Drinking cuts you off from other people and from God.

One of the worst things about drinking is loneliness. And one of the best things about A.A. is the fellowship. Drinking cuts you off from other people, at least from the people who really matter to you, your wife and children, your family and real friends. No matter how much you love them, you build up a wall between you and them by drinking. You're cut off from any real companionship with them. As a result, you're terribly lonely.

So ............

Have I got rid of my loneliness?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Honesty

Lying can be like sailing choppy waters. The more we lie, the higher the waves get, and the harder the sailing. When we lie, we feel we've failed ourselves and others. We have to work hard to cover up our lies, and the fear of someone finding out is always with us.

If we ask God for courage to tell the truth, we can be like the sailboat on a clear and calm day. We can enjoy the small waves and the light warm breeze we've given ourselves. Honesty is a good habit, and is easy. With a little faith in our own worth, we can choose the calm waters' honesty and apply our creativity to new, growth-oriented activities instead of covering up old mistakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inspiration

From "Alcoholics Anonymous Number Three": I thought, I think I have the answer. Bill was very, very grateful that he had been released from this terrible thing and he had given God the credit for having done it, and he's so grateful about it he wants to tell other people about it. That sentence, 'The Lord has been so wonderful to me, curing me of this terrible disease, that I just want to keep telling people about it,' has been a sort of a golden text for the A.A. program and for me.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 191

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“No matter the storm... When you're with God there's always a rainbow waiting. Remember, God answers knee-mail!” ~ Unknown Author
Old 06-22-2022, 05:44 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 22

Peace Within

May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you
May you be confident knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.

~ St. Therèse of Lisieux and St. Theresa of Avila

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have definitely left that dream world behind.

It was only a sham. It was a world of our own making and it was not the real world. We are sorry for the past, yes, but we learned a lot from it. We can put it down to experience, as we see it now, because it has given us the knowledge necessary to face the world as it really is. We had to become alcoholics in order to find the A.A. program. We would not have got it any other way. In a way, it was worth it.

So ............

Do I look at my past as valuable experience?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Give & Receive

Many of us took so much from others during our alcoholic addiction that now we may not want to ask for anything.

We may be afraid to ask for help, so our needs go unmet. In fact, many of us would rather give than receive. In recovery, we need to understand the difference between taking and receiving. Giving to others is important. So is receiving from others. As we grow spiritually, we learn to accept gifts. The gift of sobriety teaches us this. We need to accept the gifts the world gives us without shame. We are entitled.

God loves us and will give us much if we're willing to receive it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Letting Go

Letting go of everything at once was both painful and terrifying. I could never have accomplished this alone. It took the help, understanding and wonderful companionship that was given so freely to me by my ex-alkie friends. This and the program of recovery embodied in the Twelve Steps. In learning to practice these steps in my daily living, I began to acquire faith and a philosophy to live by. Whole new vistas were opened up for me, new avenues of experience to be explored, and life began to take on color and interest.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, page 311
Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, page 275

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future." ~ Bernard Meltzer
Old 06-23-2022, 06:11 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 23

Mohawk Prayer

Oh Great Spirit, Creator of all things;
Human Beings, trees, grass, berries.
Help us, be kind to us.
Let us be happy on earth.
Let us lead our children
To a good life and old age.
These our people; give them good minds
To love one another.
Oh Great Spirit,
Be kind to us
Give these people the favor
To see green trees,
Green grass, flowers, and berries
This next spring;
So we all meet again
Oh Great Spirit,
We ask of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

People believe in A.A. when they see it work.

An actual demonstration is what convinces them. What they read in books, what they hear people say doesn't always convince them. But when they see a real honest-to-goodness change take place in a person, a change from a drunkard to a sober, useful citizen, that's something they can believe because they can see it. There's really only one thing that proves to me that A.A. works.

So ............

Have I seen the change in people who come into A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Destiny

None of us, perhaps, ever thought we'd end up in recovery. But we were working at joining recovery years before we got here! Maybe recovery was our fate from the day we first took a drink. Others around us could see the writing on the wall, but we couldn't. We were too busy trying to avoid the pain. Alcoholism leads us to finding spiritual wholeness--- the kind of spiritual wholeness we're finding now. . .in recovery. So, let's welcome recovery into our lives. We have found our spiritual home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Beginning

I knew I had to have a new beginning, and this beginning had to be here.
I had to let go of the past and forget the future.
As long as I held on to the past with one hand and grabbed at the future with the other hand I had nothing to hold on to today with. So I had to begin here, now.

Came To Believe Page 46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"The miracle of gratitude is that it shifts your perception to such an extent that it changes the world you see." ~ Dr. Robert Holden
Old 06-24-2022, 05:46 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 24

Let Go of The Past Prayer

Lord,
I pray that in Your mercy and kindness You would help me to simply let go of all the fears and worries, problems and doubts, guilt and disappointments that seem to be filling my heart and mind so often, during the course of a day.

Fill my hurting soul with Your love and peace I pray. Fill the emptiness and pain that is tearing my life asunder. Lord, You know what is in my heart and why I am going through this time of fear and worry. Help me Lord, to take every thought captive, to hand it over to You as it rears up in my mind, and help me to replace it with your peace and love.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have been given a new life, just because we happened to become alcoholics.

We certainly don't deserve the new life that has been given us. There is little in our past to warrant the life we have now. Many people live good lives from their youth on, not getting into serious trouble, being well adjusted to life, and yet they have not found all that we alcoholics have found. We had the good fortune to find Alcoholics Anonymous and with it a new life. We are among the lucky few in the world who have learned a new way of life.

So ............

Am I deeply grateful for the new life that I have learned in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Happiness

For a long time, we didn't really laugh. It's surprising when we think about it: We hadn't really laughed for so long . . . we almost forgot how good we could feel. It feels so good to laugh again!

Now our spirits come more alive each day. Now we feel what alcohol stuffed deep inside us. Pain, fear and anger come up. But so do happiness and joy, thankfulness and a sense of humor. In early recovery, we work through the hard feelings. As we grow in the program, we have more and more room for happiness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Leap of Faith

We needed to ask ourselves but one short question.
"Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?"
As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 47

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out." ~ Art Linkletter
Old 06-25-2022, 05:53 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 26

Prayer for Emotional Strength

Lord,
I’ve reached my emotional breaking point. I am full of doubt, despair, and anxiety.
I’m dissatisfied and don’t know why or where to turn.
I pray to ask you for emotional strength.
Please give me trust, joy, and excitement so I can be lifted from this dark place and become the person you created me to be.
Please be with me and give me comfort and fill my heart with your goodness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Having gotten over drinking, we have only just begun to enjoy the benefits of A.A.

We find new friends, so that we are no longer lonely. We find new relationships with our families, so that we are happy at home. We find release from our troubles and worries through a new way of looking at things. We find an outlet for our energies in helping other people.

So ............

Am I enjoying these benefits of A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-esteem

It's maybe unsettling to learn that we need to like ourselves more, especially when we've often been accused of being conceited.
Being conceited does not mean liking oneself; it's really a matter of being smug and contemptuous in our dealing with others. This attitude is easily recognized by others, and it causes them to dislike us.

However, if we like ourselves in the right way, others sense this too, and they will be drawn to us. We will truly like ourselves more as we learn to practice the principles of AA. We will like the kind of life we are trying to live. We will like ourselves for practicing fairness and honesty. We will also like ourselves for letting people see us as we are and feel comfortable doing so. In liking ourselves, we feel no need to impress or dazzle others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humility in the Fellowship

We of A.A. sometimes brag of the virtues of our Fellowship. Let us remember that few of these times are actually earned virtues. We were forced into them, to begin with, by the cruel lash of alcoholism. We finally adopted them, not because we wished to but because we had to.

Then, as time confirmed the seeming rightness of our basic principles, we began to conform because it was right to do so. Some of us, notably myself, conformed even then with reluctance.

But at last we came to a point where we stood willing to conform gladly to the principles which experience, under the grace of God, had taught us.

A.A. Comes Of Age Page 224

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Often we convince ourselves by rationalizing that all is well when it is not. Our emotional and spiritual health requires that we examine honestly our behavior and our relationships. When they are not right, we need to take action to correct them." ~ Cristina Ferrare
Old 06-26-2022, 05:02 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 26

Prayer To Forgive Others

Lord,
I want to forgive others, but there seems to be a sort of blockage that is causing me to hold fast to my anger and hurt.
Please would You help me to forgive fully, freely and forever so that I may be released from this sharp pain of unforgiveness, which seems to be holding my heart in an icy, iron grip.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. we find a new strength and peace.

We start to realize that there must be a Power greater than ourselves that is running the universe and that is on our side when we live a good life. So the A.A. program really never ends. We begin by overcoming alcohol and go on from there to many new opportunities for happiness and usefulness.

So ............

Am I really enjoying the full benefits of A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Growth

Humility is often used in the context of being honest enough to admit one's faults, but it also means being teachable. The truly humble person realizes there's always more to learn and is open to such learning.

If we think we have humility, we usually don't. However, we can look back and recognize times when we made wonderful progress while being deeply humble. This was particularly true when we recognized our alcoholism and achieved sobriety. In this one action, we changed our lives. If we continue to practice the honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness that helped get us sober, these traits will be apparent in other areas of our lives. Though humility isn't generally sought as a way of life, it's the right way for recovering people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First Things First

Using "First Things First," we have found it helpful to concentrate first on sobriety alone, steering clear of any risky emotional entanglements.
Immature or premature liaisons are crippling to recovery.
Only after we have had time to mature somewhat beyond merely not drinking are we equipped to relate maturely to other people.

Living Sober Page 62

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.' ~ Bryant H. McGill
Old 06-27-2022, 06:02 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 27

Enjoying Life Prayer

Teach us how to enjoy being. Encourage us to be present to the gifts that are ours. May we be more fully aware of what we see, taste, touch, hear, and smell. May this awareness of our senses sharpen our perception of our everyday treasures and lead us to greater joy and gratitude

Grant us the courage to be our true selves. Help us to let go of being overly concerned about what others think of us or of how successful we are. May our inner freedom be strengthened and our delight in life be activated.

Life is meant to be celebrated, enjoyed, delighted in, and embraced in all its mystery. Guide us to our inner child. Draw us to your playground of creation, so that we will live more fully.
Amen.

~ Joyce Rupp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The alcoholic is absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge.

We must admit we can do nothing about it ourselves. Willpower and self-knowledge will never help in the strange mental blank spots when we are tempted to drink. An alcoholic mentally is in a very sick condition. The last flicker of conviction that we can do the job ourselves must be snuffed out. The spiritual answer and the program of action are the only hope. Only spiritual principles will solve our problems. We are completely helpless apart from Divine help. Our defense against drinking must come from a Higher Power.

So ............

Have I accepted the spiritual answer and the program of action?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Reading

Good ideas are the seeds that start our growth. We hear things at meetings. We listen to our sponsor.
Maybe we listen to program tapes. And we read. Reading is special because we do it when we're alone.

We read in quiet times, when we can think. We can read as fast or as slow as we want. We can mark special words and come back to them again and again. We'll figure things out in our way, but we need help to get started. That's why we read. It gives us good ideas to think about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damage Repairs

Now we go out to our fellows and repair the damage done in the past.
We attempt to sweep away the debris which has accumulated out of our effort to live on self-will and run the show ourselves. If we haven't the will to do this, we ask until it comes.
Remember it was agreed at the beginning we would go to any lengths for victory over alcohol.

Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 76

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"To believe in sensible ideas is easy, but to implement them involves sacrifice." ~ Dorothy H.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:48 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 28

Happiness Prayer

Dear Lord,
I pray that you bless me with true happiness and peace in life.
Lead me away from hate and anger toward love.
From a restless mind and anxiety, give me peace.
Lead me from fear of death to eternal life.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

A.A. may be human in its organization, but it is divine in its purpose.

The purpose is to point me toward God and the good life. My feet have been set upon the right path. I feel it in the depths of my being. I am going in the right direction. The future can be safely left to God. Whatever the future holds, it cannot be too much for me to bear. I have the Divine Power with me, to carry me through everything that may happen.

So ............

Am I pointed toward God and the good life?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Growth

We should be thankful we can never reach complete serenity. If we could, we would never have the need to improve ourselves. We would stop growing, because there would be no reason to learn any more than we already know, and we would become bored. Even the things, which seem so serene in nature usually contain a struggle within. A lake, with a swan gliding slowly across it, seems a perfect picture of serenity. But, unseen below the surface, fish, turtles, and frogs struggle each day for survival.

The important thing is to accept the struggles as a part of the beauty of life, not as blemishes on it.

What struggles shall help me grow better today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prayer

As the alcoholic goes along with his process of prayer, he begins to add up the results.
If he persists, he will almost surely find more serenity, more tolerance, less fear, and less anger. He will acquire a quiet courage, the kind that doesn't strain him. He can look at so-called failure and success for what they really are. Problems and calamity will begin to mean instruction, rather than destruction.
He will feel freer and saner. . . Wonderful and unaccountable things will start to happen.
Twisted relations with family and on the outside will unaccountably improve.

Bill W., June 1958
The Language of the Heart Page 241

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Life is always moving, changing, shifting into its next shape. The movement is natural. It is how we evolve. Let the shift happen. Take responsibility for yourself each step of the way." ~ Earnie Larsen
Old 06-29-2022, 06:38 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 29

Prayer for Happiness in Life

Let me awaken each morning with hope for everything that the world has to offer.
Help me so that I can discover peace, prosperity, and happiness in life.
Guide me to find joy in each day and appreciate the beauty of your creation.
Teach me how to touch each soul I meet and be thankful for every person in my life.
Teach me how to see a happy life in all of its infinite varieties.
Help me to find happiness in every moment as I go through each day.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We're in A.A. for two main reasons: to keep sober ourselves and to help others to find sobriety.

It's a well-known fact that helping others is a big part of keeping yourself sober. It's also been proven that it's very hard to keep sober all by yourself. A lot of people have tried it and failed. They come to a few A.A. meetings and then stay sober alone for a few months, but usually they eventually get drunk.

So ............

Do I know that I can't stay sober successfully alone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Right Action

A principle is sometimes defined as a fundamental guide to action. The more mature we become, the more likely it is that we'll work from principles rather than blind feelings.
The principles outlined in the Twelve Steps are good guides for mature living. They call for honesty in motive, fair and considerate treatment of others, and reliance on our Higher Power throughout each day.

As we continue on such a path, we will outgrow the childish selfishness and reactions that were so destructive in our old lives. We will be viewed by others as mature, responsible, reliable people.
We also grow into maturity by acting according to sound principles even when we don't always feel like it. Whatever our feelings might be at any given moment, we can choose actions that are sound and constructive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guidance

Walk day by day in the path of spiritual progress. If you persist, remarkable things will happen. When we look back, we realize that the things which came to us when we put ourselves in God's hands were better than anything we could have planned. Follow the dictates of a Higher Power and you will presently live in a new and wonderful world, no matter what your present circumstances!

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"One of the greatest sources of insecurity and frustration is our tendency to try and change things that we don't have any control of." ~ Ryan Help

Old 06-30-2022, 06:05 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 30

Prayer for Accepting God's Will

Lord,
Teach me to be patient - with life, with people, and with myself. I sometimes try to hurry things along too much, and I push for answers before the time is right. Teach me to trust Your sense of timing rather than my own and to surrender my will to Your greater and wiser plan. Help me let life unfold slowly, like the small rosebud whose petals unravel bit by bit, and remind me that in hurrying the bloom along, I destroy the bud and much of the beauty therein.

Instead, let me wait for all to unfold in its own time. Each moment and state of growth contains a loveliness. Teach me to slow down enough to appreciate life and all it holds.
Amen

~Matthew R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Fellowship is a big part of staying sober.

We never go to an A.A. meeting without taking something out of it. Sometimes we don't feel like going to a meeting and we think of excuses for not going. But we usually end up going anyway. And we always get some lift out of every meeting. Meetings are part of keeping sober. And we get more out of a meeting if we try to contribute something to it.

So ............

Am I contributing my share at meetings?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Resentments

When we hang on to resentments, we poison ourselves. As alcoholics, we cannot afford resentment, since it exacerbates our disease. If we do not get rid of our anger and bitterness, we will suffer more than anyone. Seeking revenge will harm ourselves in the long run.

Many of us have carried around old grudges, which caused us to reach for a drink when we thought about them. We don't need alcohol and we don't need grudges, either. When we give away the resentments, we are that much lighter in body and in spirit. Now that we have found A.A., we have a way to get rid of the animosity and indignation, which has been poisoning our system.

Taking inventory and making amends is an essential part of burying resentments. We need to first be consciously aware of them before we can give them away. These steps usually need to be taken again and again as negative material threatens our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Results of Prayer

As the doubter tries the process of prayer, he should begin to add up the results. If he persists, he will most surely find more serenity, more tolerance, less fear, and less anger. He will acquire a quiet courage, the kind that isn't tension-ridden. He can look at "failure" and "success" for what these really are. Problems and calamity will begin to mean his instruction, instead of his destruction. He will feel freer and saner.

The idea that he may have been hypnotizing himself by autosuggestion will become laughable. His sense of purpose and of direction will increase. His anxieties will commence to fade. His physical health will be likely to improve. Wonderful and unaccountable things will start to happen. Twisted relations in his family and on the outside will improve surprisingly.

As Bill Sees It Page 321

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The basic purpose of prayer is not to bend God's will to mine, but to mold my will into His.” ~ Timothy Keller
Post New ThreadReply