Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12-01-2022, 03:02 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default A Prayer & Some Thoughts - December

December 1

Prayer To Live Well Today

Lord,
Your Word tells me not to worry about my life or the things of tomorrow. Forgive me for my lack of confidence in Your daily guidance and Your ability to work everything into something good.

Please help me to deal with those things I can, and make changes where necessary. Help me to leave those things I cannot change in Your care.

I choose to seek first your will, as I live one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I came into A.A., was I a desperate person?

Did I have a soul-sickness? Was I so sick of myself and my way of living that I couldn't stand looking at myself in a mirror? Was I ready for A.A.? Was I ready to try anything that would help me to get sober and to get over my soul-sickness?

So ............

Should I ever forget the condition I was in?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Powerless

In Step One, we accept our powerlessness over alcohol. But we are powerless over many parts of life. We are powerless over other people. We are powerless over what our HP has planned for us. Before recovery, we only believed in control. We tried to control everything. We fought against a basic truth, the truth that we are powerless over much of life. When we accept this truth, we begin to see what power we do have. We have the power to make choices. When we're lonely, we have the power to reach out to others. We have power over how we live our own lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inventory

When evening comes, perhaps before going to sleep, many of us draw up a balance sheet for the day.
This is a good place to remember that inventory-taking is not always done in red ink.
It's a poor day indeed when we haven't done something right.
As a matter of fact, the waking hours are usually well filled with things that are constructive.
Even when we have tried hard and failed, we may chalk that up as one of the greatest credits of all.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 93

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge." ~ Carl Jung
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 2

Prayer For New Perspective

Lord, some days my world seems to be spinning out of control. Everywhere I look, I see chaos—even in my own life. There are days where I long to just "throw in the towel."

Lord, give me a new perspective and blow away the cobwebs that keep cluttering my mind and my vision. Every time I'm tempted to become discouraged or depressed because of negative events or situations, help me to gain that new perspective.

With your perspective, I can push past the impossible and find the strength and courage to believe that no matter what happens, your hope will lift me to a higher plane—where joy and purpose reign again.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we were drinking most of us were full of pride and selfishness.

We believed we could handle our own affairs, even though we were making a mess of our lives. We were very stubborn and didn't like to take advice. We resented being told what to do. To us, humility looked like weakness. But when we came into A.A., we began to be humble. And we found out that humility gave us the power we needed to overcome drinking.

So ............

Have I learned that there is power in humility?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Trust

Happiness

Most of us want to be happy. We just don't know how. We aren't sure what happiness is. We've learned the hard way that some things we wanted didn't make us happy. We're learning that happiness comes when we live the way our Higher Power wants us to live. That's when we’re honest. When we do our best work. When we are true friends. We make happiness; we don't find it. Sometimes we don't even know we're happy. We're too busy with our work, our recovery program, our friends and family. We need to slow down and know that when we do what we need to, happiness comes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tolerance

Finally, we begin to see that all people, including ourselves, are to some extent emotionally ill as well as frequently wrong. When this happens, we approach true tolerance and we see what real love for our fellows actually means.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 92

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Let your dreams be bigger than your fears, your actions louder than your words, and your faith stronger than your feelings.” ~ Unknown Author
Old 12-03-2022, 05:34 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 3

Prayer to Awaken The Dawn

Dear Lord,
Sometimes I arise before dawn, I awake in the darkness but know that the light will emerge. I wait on you Lord in hard times, just like those dark mornings when my heart feels cold, when I need to trust that the dawn will break, that light, life and love will shine bright. Help me to remember at these times that morning has broken through the darkness, and to trust you with the anxieties, fears and grief of the night. I will draw near to you, I will wait for the dawn.

~ Thomas Traherne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

...........practice these principles in all our affairs.

We do not just practice these principles in regard to our drinking problem. We practice them in all our affairs. We do not give one compartment of our lives to God and keep the other compartments to ourselves. We give our whole lives to God and we try to do His will in every respect. "Herein lies our growth, herein lies all the promise of the future, an ever widening horizon.

So ............

Do I carry the A.A. principles with me wherever I go?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Mistakes

Everyone makes mistakes. We all know that. So why is it so hard to admit our own? We seem to think we have to be perfect. We have a hard time looking at our mistakes. But our mistakes can be very good teachers. Our Twelve Step program helps us learn and grow from our mistakes. In Step Four, half of our work is to think of our mistakes. In step Five, we admit our mistakes to God, ourselves, and another person. We learn, we grow and become whole. All by coming to know our mistakes The gift of recovery is not being free from mistakes. Instead, we do the Steps to claim our mistakes and talk about them. We find the gift of recovery when we learn from our mistakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy, Joyous and Free

We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. We cannot subscribe to the belief that this life is a vale of tears, though it once was just that for many of us. But it is clear that we made our own misery. God didn't do it. Avoid then, the deliberate manufacture of misery, but if trouble comes, cheerfully capitalize it as an opportunity to demonstrate His omnipotence.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 133

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“In life, you can blame a lot of people and you can wallow in self-pity or you can pick yourself up and say listen, I have to be responsible for myself.” ~ Howard Schultz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 12-04-2022, 05:42 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 4

Being Thankful Prayer

Lord,
I thank you for the direction and guidance you’ve provided me in my life, and for increasing my wisdom as the years pass.

I pray that I’ll continually see you as the source of all wisdom and that I will continue to turn to You for help in understanding myself and the world around me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholics carry an awful load around with them.

What a load lying puts on your shoulders! Drinking makes liars out of all of us alcoholics. In order to get the alcohol we wanted, we have to lie all the time. We have to lie about where we've been and what we've been doing. When you are lying you are only half alive because of the fear of being found out. When you come into A.A., and get honest with yourself and with other people, that terrible load of lying falls off your shoulders.

So ............

Have I got rid of that load of lying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Getting Better

Only a short time ago, we were very sick. Getting sober made us so much better.
At first, when we stopped drinking, we thought we were fixed. Then we began to see that we were not all that well. No doctor can fix us. To get well, we need to keep living by the Twelve Steps and the slogans of our program. We need to keep on trusting that our Higher Power will heal us.
One Day at a Time, day after day, we get stronger and happier. And it never has to stop. Each day, we know ourselves a little better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Priorities

I was also able to realize that this bonfire of resentment and rage was beckoning me to pick up a drink and plunge into my death. Then I realized that I had to separate my sobriety from everything else that was going on in my life. No matter what happened or didn't happen, I couldn't drink. In fact, none of these things that I was going through had anything to do with my sobriety; the tides of life flow endlessly for better or worse, both good and bad, and I cannot allow my sobriety to become dependent on these ups and downs of living. Sobriety must live a life of its own.

Alcoholics Anonymous, Fourth Edition Pages 450-451

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.” ~ Anthony Robbins

“He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” ~ Epictetus
Old 12-05-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 5

Prayer For Uncertain Times

Lord ,
In this time of bewilderment and fear, we ask you to give us the courage to take care of one another.

For those who are ill, especially those who are frightened and alone, for those who cannot access healthcare, for those who are homeless and lost, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our sadness and grief, we ask you to give us words to comfort one another. For those who are dying, and for those who have already died from this virus, for those who tend them and for those with no one to tend them, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our own anxiety, we ask you to give us the courage to support one another as you would. For those who are unexpectedly unemployed, for employers who share what they can, for our government and financial institutions and those who lead them, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our struggle to ensure a healthy future for all who live on this planet, we ask you to give us the hope that surpasses our current understanding. For healthcare workers, spiritual leaders and our faith communities, for artists and poets, for prophets and teachers, hear our prayer!

In the midst of our growing awareness that all life on Earth is connected, we ask for the heart to respect and cherish all life. That all peoples recognize that we are all your children, hear our prayer!

We trust in you and your power working for us. Please hear and answer our prayers.
Amen! Amen!

~ Sister Cynthia Serjak, RSM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Am I critical of other members of A.A. or of new prospects?

Do I ever say about other members: "I don't think they're sincere, I think they're bluffing, or I think they're taking a few drinks on the quiet?" Do I realize that my doubtful and skeptical attitude is hurting those members, if only in my attitude toward them, which they cannot help sensing? Do I say about new prospects: "They'll never make the program," or do I say: "They'll only last a few months?"

So ............

If I take this attitude, I am unconsciously hurting those prospects' chances. Is my attitude always constructive and never destructive?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Achievements

It's said that alcoholics sometimes snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Some of us, deep down inside, don't really think we deserve success. We might be discouraged by feelings of guilt or low self-esteem, or perhaps we don't want to become targets of envy or competitive attacks. We need to practice acceptance of our current situation, always believing that we do have a right to achievements that match our talents and experience, indeed, such achievements may only be possible now that we're sober and thinking rightly.

Some people think that our occupations and our program are separate matters. But the very last idea in the 12 Steps is to practice our principles "in all our affairs." If we take the view that any useful work is a form of service, we'll find opportunities to be beneficial to everyone. With that attitude, we will also realize that we deserve success. I ‘ll know today that I have a right to do well in any legitimate activity for which I am qualified.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Light From A Prayer

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

We treasure our "Serenity Prayer" because it brings a new light to us that can dissipate our oldtime and nearly fatal habit of fooling ourselves.

In the radiance of this prayer, we see that defeat, rightly accepted, need be no disaster. We now know that we do not have to run away, nor ought we again try to overcome adversity by still another bulldozing drive that can only push up obstacles before us faster than they can be taken down.

“As Bill Sees It” Page 20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote
“To experience peace does not mean that your life is always blissful. It means that you are capable of tapping into a blissful state of mind amidst the normal chaos of a hectic life.” ~ Jill Bolte Taylor
Old 12-06-2022, 04:06 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 6

Gratitude Prayer

Thank you, God, for another day
For helping me live in a decent way
Thank you for the joy of living
And the happiness that comes from giving
Teach me to wake to the morning sun
With the prayer 'Thy Will Be Done'
Thank you, God, for another day
Thank you, God for AA,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

It is essential that the A.A. program become part of us.

We must have its essentials at our fingertips. We cannot study the Big Book too much or too often. The more we read it and study it, the better equipped we are to think A.A., act A.A., and live A.A. We cannot know too much about the program. The chances are that we will never know enough. But we can make as much of it our own as possible.

So ...........

How much of the Big Book have I thoroughly mastered?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Human Race

Try to remember that we're part of a larger fellowship called " the human race."

We all hurt the same. We all love the same. We all need understanding and care. Yet, in other ways, we are not all the same.
Let's remember to understand differences among people. If not, we'll be afraid of anyone who's not like us.
And this isn't God's way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conviction and Compromise

One qualification for a useful life is give-and-take, the ability to compromise cheerfully. Compromise comes hard to us "all or nothing" drunks. Nevertheless, we must never lose sight of the fact that progress is nearly always characterized by a series of improving compromises.

Of course, we cannot always compromise. There are circumstances in which it is necessary to stick flat-footed to one's convictions until the issue is resolved. Deciding when to compromise and when not to compromise always calls for the most careful discrimination.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 59

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Compromise is not about losing. It is about deciding that the other person has just as much right to be happy with the end result as you do." ~ Donna Martini
Old 12-07-2022, 04:40 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 7

Prayer When Frustrated

Lord, I feel so frustrated I just want to scream out ‘aargh’ but I can’t even do that.
I try to get through to others what it’s like, but I can’t.
I try to tell them how I feel, but they don’t understand.
I try to tell them what I want, what I need, but I can’t get through.
It’s all so hopeless. I don’t know why I even bother trying.
I hate being helpless: I like to be doing things and relating to people, but I can’t.
I just lie here, stuck, unable to do anything about my situation.
Anxiously I look for signs of hope, signs that the future might be brighter.
Any glimmer of light is seized upon, but the joy is short-lived because the struggle is so intense, the frustration so great.

Don’t leave me, Lord. I need you like I’ve never needed you before.
At least you know what I’m thinking, how I’m feeling.
And I know that I am not alone, not really alone, at all.
Help me to endure the unendurable, give me the courage to keep on trying— again and again and again— so that I don’t sink into the pit of black despair.
Amen.

~ Helen Prior

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We need to check up on ourselves periodically.

Just how good an A.A. am I? Am I attending meetings regularly? Am I doing my share to carry the load? When there is something to be done, do I volunteer? Do I speak at meetings when asked, no matter how nervous I am? Do I accept each opportunity to do twelfth step work as a challenge? Do I give freely of my time and money? Am I trying to spread A.A. wherever I go? Is my daily life a demonstration of A.A. principles? Am I a good A.A.?

So ............

Am I lacking in any of these areas??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Envy

We often find ourselves envying someone else. We think they have more money or more friends. We see them as better looking or luckier in some way than we are.

It is so easy to overlook our own gifts when we do this. We get fooled by what looks good and forget that all human beings have some weaknesses and pain, just like we do. Like the trees in the forest, we each have our own unique beauty and talents to offer. If we believe in ourselves, rather than envy those around us, we will grow green and tall in our own way.

What qualities might I have that someone might envy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common Good

The unity, the effectiveness, and even the survival of A.A. will always depend upon our continued willingness to give up some of our personal ambitions and desires for the common safety and welfare. Just as sacrifice means survival for the individual alcoholic, so does sacrifice mean unity and survival for the group and for A.A.'s entire Fellowship.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 220

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Today I can set my goals with the clear and confident knowledge that I can only do one thing at a time and take one step at a time towards that goal. I do not need to wait until I reach the goal to be happy and satisfied. I am fulfilled with each step, knowing that is all I can do in each moment." ~ Ruth Fishel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

********** Off Topic **********

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Dear Father, on this annual recollection of the Pearl Harbor tragedy, we pray for thy benign blessings and guidance. Enable us to reflect clearly and conscientiously upon our priceless heritage. Let us be determined to guard and preserve it through all trials and difficulties. Help us to be worthy of the lofty ideals for which so many courageous men and women sacrificed so much.

~~ Tom Hoefling

(December 7, 1941)
The attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service upon the United States against the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, just before 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, December 7, 1941.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:12 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 8

A Three Step Morning Prayer

First Step: Plant your feet firmly on the earth. Using your five senses, give thanks to our Creator God for the countless ways God comes to us through creation- for all the beauty that your eyes see, for all the sounds that your ears ear, for all the scents that you smell, the tastes that you taste, for all that you feel (the sun, wind, rain, snow, warm, or cold). Pray this day that you may be open and attuned to the countless ways that our Creator God comes to us through your senses, through the gifts of creation.
Second Step: Let go of all the pain, struggle, regret, failures, garbage of yesterday - step out of it - leave it behind- brush the dust of it from your feet.
Third Step: With this third and final step, step into the gift of the new day, full of hope, promise, and potential. Give thanks for the gift of this new day, which God has made!
Amen.

~ Jose Hobday
(A Native American Prayer)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Before coming to A.A., I always had excuses for taking a drink:

"She said . . . , " "He said . . . ," "I got fired yesterday," "I got a great job today." No area of my life would be good if I drank again. In sobriety my life gets better each day. I must always remember not to drink, to trust God, and to stay active in A.A.

So ............

Am I putting anything before my sobriety, God, and A.A. today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Freedom

Sobriety is freedom. With this freedom, we have a responsibility to help other alcoholics who still suffer. The program tells us this in Step Twelve. We do this by telling our stories and offering hope.
We must be ready to care, to give ourselves. This is what spirituality is about. When we help others, we prepare the road for those who enter the program after us.
Tradition Five of the Twelve Traditions says, “Each group has but one primary purpose---to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.” It means we get better by helping others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Give Thanks

Though I still find it difficult to accept today's pain and anxiety with any great degree of serenity--as those more advanced in the spiritual life seem able to do--I can give thanks for present pain nevertheless.

I find the willingness to do this by contemplating the lessons learned from past suffering--lessons which have led to the blessings I now enjoy. I can remember how the agonies of alcoholism, the pain of rebellion and thwarted pride, have often led me to God's grace, and so to a new freedom.

As Bill Sees It Page 266

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable." ~ Denis Waitley
Old 12-09-2022, 05:14 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 9

New Day Prayer

Lord, I place today in Your hands and trust You to direct my day until I place my head back onto my pillow of sleep. I ask that whether in busyness or in quietude, Your will be done. Whether I am surrounded by crowds of people or remain in the solitude of my own company, I ask that You would be there to direct. I pray that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my inner being, would be pleasing and acceptable to You throughout today, and may Your will be done.
Amen.

From a Prayer by Jim Witherspoon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We finally came to the bottom.

We did not have to be financially broke, although many of us were. But we were spiritually bankrupt. We had a soul-sickness, a revulsion against ourselves and against our way of living. Life had become impossible for us. We had to end it all or do something about it.

So ............

Am I glad I did something about it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Blaming

Are we blamers? We sure were blamers when we were using alcohol. Then everything was someone's fault. Some of us did our blaming out loud. And some of us silently blamed others.
It's harder to praise than to blame people. Faults stand out like street
signs, but the good things about people may be harder to see. We can see the good in people when we slow down, watch, and listen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling Alone

And what can be said of many A.A. members who, for a variety of reasons, cannot have a family life? At first many of these feel lonely, hurt, and left out as they witness so much domestic happiness about them. If they cannot have this kind of happiness, can A.A. offer them satisfactions of similar worth and durability? Yes--whenever they try hard to seek them out. Surrounded by so many A.A. friends, these so-called loners tell us they no longer feel alone. In partnership with others--women and men--they can devote themselves to any number of ideas, people, and constructive projects. Free of marital responsibilities, they can participate in enterprises which would be denied to family men and women. We daily see such members render prodigies of service, and receive great joys in return.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 120

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do." ~ Brene Brown
Old 12-10-2022, 04:23 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 10

Gratitude for the Simple Things

Thank you, God, for all your blessings to me and my family;
for the strength you give me each day and
for all the people around me who make life more meaningful.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have lost many of my resentments.

I have found that getting even with people doesn't do any good. When we try to get revenge, instead of making us feel better, it leaves us frustrated and cheated. Instead of punishing our enemies, we've only hurt our own peace of mind. It does not pay to nurse a grudge; it hurts us more than anyone else. Hate causes frustration, inner conflict, and neurosis. If we give out hate, we will become hateful. If we are resentful, we will be resented. If we do not like people, people will not like us. Revengefulness is a powerful poison in our systems.

So ............

Have I lost my resentments?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Relationships

There is a gift for us in each relationship that comes our way. Sometimes the gift is a behavior we're learning to acquire: detachment, self esteem, becoming confident enough to set a boundary, or owning our power in another way.

Some relationships trigger healing in us. We find ourselves learning the most important lessons from the people we least expect to help us. We learn about loving ourselves or someone else.Or we'll learn to let others love us.We don't have to control this process.

I will try to open myself to the lesson and the gift from each person in my life. I will trust that I, too, am a gift in other people's lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Reservation

We have seen the truth demonstrated again and again: "Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Expecting the world to be fair to you because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." ~ Vernon Davis
Old 12-11-2022, 03:36 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 11

Prayer for Facing This Day

Dear God,
Please give me strength when I am weak, love when I feel forsaken, courage when I am afraid,
wisdom when I feel foolish, comfort when I am alone, hope when I feel rejected,
and peace when I am in turmoil.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Today, I am less self-centered.

The world used to revolve around me at the center.
I cared more about my own needs, desires and my own pleasure, my own way, myself than I did about the whole rest of the world. What happened to me was more important than anything else I could think of. I was selfishly trying to be happy and therefore I was unhappy most of the time. I have found that selfishly seeking pleasure does not bring true happiness. Thinking of myself all the time cuts me off from the best in life. A.A. taught me to care less about myself and more about the other person.

So ............

Today, am I less self-centered?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Living Life

Living means facing all of life. Life is joy and sorrow. We used to be people who wanted joy without sorrow. But we can learn from hard times, maybe more than we do in easy times. Often, getting through hard times helps us grow. When things get tough, maybe we want to turn and run. Then, a gentle voice from within us says, “I am with you. You have friends who will help.” If we listen, we’ll hear our Higher Power. This is what is meant by “conscious contact” in Step eleven. As this conscious contact grows, our courage grows. And we find the strength to face hard times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life on Life's Terms

For years, I was sure the worst thing that could happen to a nice guy like me would be that I would turn out to be an alcoholic. Today, I find it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. This proves I don't know what's good for me. And if I don't know what's good for me, then I don't know what's good or bad for you or for anyone. So I'm better off if I don't give advice, don't figure I know what's best, and just accept life on life's terms, as it is today--especially my own life, as it actually is. Before AA, I judged myself by my intentions, while the world was judging me by my actions.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 449-450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“The thing we all had in common wasn’t muscle; it was the will to do whatever it takes.” ~ Chris Kyle

“Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet.” ~ Suzanne Woods Fisher
Old 12-12-2022, 05:28 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 12

An Amends Prayer

Dear God,
Now I pray for Your help in making me entirely ready to change my destructive patterns.
Give me the strength to deal with the character defects I’ve turned over to You.
Allow me to accept all the changes You want to make in me.
Help me to be the person You want me to be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When I think of all who have gone before me, I realize that I am only one, not the most important, person.

What happens to me is not so very important after all. And A.A. has taught me to be more outgoing, to seek friendship by going at least halfway, to have a sincere desire to help. I have more self-respect now that I have less sensitiveness. I have found that the only way to live comfortably with myself is to take a real interest in others.

So ............

Do I realize that I am not so important after all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Faith

We once believed that Alcohol could help us control our happiness. But now we’re learning to rely on faith for our happiness. Faith is about leaving things to our Higher Power's control. Instead of wanting to control ourselves, we trust our Higher Power will help us handle things that come along.
In recovery, we work at having more faith. Faith in a Higher Power. Faith in the Steps. Faith in our groups. Faith that our lives will get better, if we don't use chemicals and we work an honest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Truth, the Liberator

How truth makes us free is something that we A.A.'s can well understand. It cut the shackles that once bound us to alcohol. It continues to release us from conflicts and miseries beyond reckoning; it banishes fear and isolation. The unity of our Fellowship, the love we cherish for each other, the esteem in which the world holds us--all of these are products of the truth which, under God, we have been privileged to perceive.

As Bill Sees It Page 70

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Learn to ask for forgiveness for the wrongs you've done because you will not die if you swallow your pride." ~ Innah Delos Angeles
Old 12-13-2022, 05:22 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 13

Holiday Depression Prayer

Lord, it seems so silly and wrong to get so depressed about this up-coming holiday, but Lord You know that I find holidays quite difficult to cope with, and I know that I cannot break out of this cycle of holiday depression, without Your help and strength.

Show me what I ought to do in order to prevent this from happening. Teach me what to do when panicky thoughts start to fill up my mind and show me how to prevent those thoughts from taking hold of me, and pushing me back into a state of despair and depression. Lord, may I truly break free of this recurring holiday depression once and for all
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. we have to re-educate our minds.

We have to learn to think differently. We have to take a long view of drinking instead of a short view. We have to look through the glass to see what lies beyond it. We have to look through the night before to the morning after. No matter how good alcohol looks from the short view, we must realize that in the long run it is poison to us.

So ............

Have I learned to look through the bottle to the better life that lies ahead?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Worry

Worry---it's a lonely activity. It puts distance between us and others. Our program is full of ideas about what to do with worry. On Step Three, we turn our will and our lives over to God. This includes worry.
Our slogans also suggest what to do with worry. One Day at a Time. Live and Let Live. Easy Does It. Let Go and Let God. Their main message is stop worrying. Trust the program. Trust your Higher Power. Everything will be okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Way Out

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“It's not the burdens of everyday life that drive men mad. It is the regret of yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves that rob us of today.” -- Unknown Author
Old 12-14-2022, 06:07 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 14

Another Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity
To stop beating myself up for not doing things perfectly,
The courage to forgive myself because I’m working on doing better,
And the wisdom to know that You already love me just the way I am.

~ Eleanor Brownn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

People who have had a slip are ashamed of themselves - sometimes so ashamed that they fear to go back to A.A.

They develop the old inferiority complex and tell themselves that they are no good, that they have let down their friends in A.A., that they are hopeless, and that they can never make it. This state of mind is perhaps worse than it was originally. They have probably been somewhat weakened by their slip. But their A.A. training cannot ever be entirely lost. They always know they can go back if they want to. They know there is still God's help for them if they will again ask for it.

So ............

Do I believe that I can never entirely lose what I have learned in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Acceptance

To finally come to self acceptance. To accept and be comfortable in my own skin. That is one of the keys to life isn’t it?

To be done with perfectionism in all its forms. To learn to practice imperfection in all things in life. I’ve heard it said that in Japanese art when an object like a jar is broken they fill in the cracks with gold. The brokenness and imperfection is what makes the object even more valuable and beautiful. May I see imperfection in that way in my own life. As Leonard Cohen said, “Everything has a crack in it, that’s how the light gets in.”

To forgive myself because I’m in process and it’s all learning and I’ll never be done learning. The thought that life is one big experiment, frees me to experiment, explore and have fun. And I am working on doing better, I always want to improve and to learn more for the joy of it rather than having to prove anything to anyone or to get in good with God, but to become fully myself.

What I’m discovering in deeper ways in my life, is the greatest wisdom in life – is to believe, know, experience and soak in the love of God and to allow that love to overflow in my life so that I will love well – others and even myself. It’s a powerful truth to realize that God loves and accepts me just as I am, just the way I am. Grace is to accept the fact of your acceptance by God, no matter what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understanding

Gradually, however, God began to clear my channels so that real understanding began to come. Then was the time when full realization and acknowledgement came to me. It was realization and acknowledgement of the fact that I was full of self-pity and resentment, realization that I had not fully given my problems to God. I was still trying to do my own fixing.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.” ~ Robert Holden
Old 12-15-2022, 05:19 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 15

Prayer for Guidance and Strength

Lord,
I pray that you guide me and strengthen me as I carry my many burdens.
My burdens weigh down my heart, and I doubt at times if I can bear it.
When I am upset or anxious, bring me strength and calmness.
Bring me peace in my time of need and help me to find happiness every day.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What makes an effective talk at a meeting?

It is not a fine speech with a fine choice of words and an impressive delivery. Often a few simple words direct from the heart are more effective than the most polished speech. There is always a temptation to speak beyond your own experience, in order to make a good impression. This is never effective. What does not come from the heart does not reach the heart. What comes from personal experience and a sincere desire to help the other person reaches the heart.

So ............

Do I speak for effect or with a deep desire to help?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Nourishment

We neglect to provide ourselves with nourishment for our minds and souls.

Life's experiences include joy and beauty and pain and grief. If we are uplifted every day by beauty in its many forms, we are strengthened and carried along to meet the tougher parts of our day. We may need to push some other things aside to have it. Perhaps some jobs can wait until tomorrow, and we can linger over a meal with our loved ones. Maybe mowing the lawn or fixing the car isn't as important as a half-hour of good music. Do we make space for nourishing moments each day?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Success" in Twelfth-Stepping

We now see that in twelfth-stepping the immediate results are not so important. Some people start out working with others and have immediate success. They are likely to get cocky. Those of us who are not so successful at first get depressed.

As a matter of fact, the successful worker differs from the unsuccessful only in being lucky about his prospects. He simply hits newcomers who are ready and able to stop at once. Given the same prospects, the seemingly unsuccessful person would have produced almost the same results. You have to work on a lot of newcomers before the law of averages commences to assert itself.

As Bill Sees It Page 165

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The moment you accept that there's a guidance system supporting you, then you experience a new sense of freedom and peace.” ~ Gabrielle Bernstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply