Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09-01-2022, 06:07 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default A Prayer & Some Thoughts - September

September 1

Prayer for Sanity

Dear Lord,
Grant us sanity during these very challenging times.
We live in a time that brings many of us the unexpected and the unexplainable.
Help us think with clarity, and guide us to behave with courage when the opportunity comes to change our difficulties.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

As we became alcoholics, the bad effects of drinking came more and more to outweigh the good effects.

But the strange part of it is that, no matter what drinking did to us, loss of our health, our jobs, our money and our homes, we still stuck to it and depended on it. Our dependence on alcohol became an obsession. In A.A., we find a new outlook on life. We learn how to change from alcoholic thinking to sober thinking. And we find out that we can no longer depend on drinking for anything. We depend on a Higher Power instead.

So ............

Have I entirely given up that dependence on drinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Needing Others

To stay in this program, we need to accept that we have an illness. We need to accept that we were out of control. And we need to accept that we need others and they need us. At times, we won't want to accept these facts. We will want to deny we have an illness and our lives are out of control.

Many of us get into trouble when we don't accept that we need others. This is why helping others is so important. It teaches us that we need others, and others need us. By helping others, we learn about the give-and-take of human relationships. There is no give-and-take in alcoholism. There is just take. Now, finally, we can give too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emotional Sobriety

Those adolescent urges that so many of us have for top approval, perfect security, and perfect romance -- urges quite appropriate to age seventeen -- prove to be an impossible way of life when we are at age forty-seven or fifty-seven.
Since AA began, I've taken immense wallops in all these areas because of my failure to grow up, emotionally and spiritually. My God, how painful it is to keep demanding the impossible, and how very painful to discover, finally, that all along we have had the cart before the horse!

The Language of the Heart, p. 236

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." ~ Josiah Stamp
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 2

Give Me Strength

God, I ask not for easier tasks.
I ask for stronger aptitudes and greater talents
to meet any tasks which may come my way.

Help me to help others
so that their lives may be made easier and happier.
Strengthen my confidence in my fellow men
in spite of what they may do or say.

Give me strength to live according to the Golden Rule,
enthusiasm to inspire those around me,
sympathy to help lighten the burdens of those who suffer,
and a spirit of joy and gladness to share with others.

~~ Harry Bullis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We are living on borrowed time.

We are living today because of A.A. and the grace of God. And what there is left of our lives we owe to A.A. and to God. We should make the best use of our borrowed time and in some small measure pay back for that part of our lives which we wasted before we came into A.A. Our lives from now on are not our own. We hold them in trust for God and A.A. And we must do all we can to forward the great movement that has given us a new lease on life.

So ............

Am I holding my life in trust for A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accepting Reality

Nothing lasts forever. At times I feel sad, angry, resentful and ashamed -- but it passes. In my recovery I have learned to live in "my day" and accept the consequences of that day. I can only deal with life as I experience it. Tomorrow is a new day with new experiences. And some of the experiences are painful. Reality teaches me this. At times I wish I could go through life without pain or rejection but I know that is fantasy. Sobriety does not mean that everything will be perfect -- only better!

Nothing is so bad that I need to drink. Today I know that alcohol increases my pain; it is never a solution. God, who has given me today, will also give me a tomorrow -- and time eases the pain if I work my program. Misfortunes are not worth drinking over. Nothing lasts forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fear of Success

Although this seems like a paradox, the fear of success is actually a common fear. Many people in recovery suffer from low self-esteem. This means that somewhere in the back of their mind, they don’t think they deserve a better life.

Negative thoughts like these can come from many places. Perhaps you were raised in an invalidating environment or perhaps your depression is a product of alcohol use. Unfortunately, this thought pattern often leads to self-sabotage. People use it as an excuse to relapse.

No matter what you’ve done in the past, you have to remember that you are now free and a new person. Over time, sobriety will help you see things more clearly. You deserve happiness just like anyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“I have accepted fear as a part of life – specifically the fear of change… I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back.”~ Erica Jong

Old 09-03-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 3

The Knots Prayer

Dear God,
Please untie the knots in my mind,
my heart and my life.

Remove the have nots,
the can nots, and the do nots
that I have in my mind.

Erase the will nots,
may nots,
might nots that may find
a home in my heart.

Release me from the could nots,
would nots and
should nots that obstruct my life.

And most of all,
Dear God,
I ask that you remove from my mind,
my heart and my life all of the “am nots”
that I have allowed to hold me back,
especially the thought that
I am not good enough.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

An alcoholic carries an awful load around with them.

What a load lying puts on your shoulders! Drinking makes liars out of all of us alcoholics. In order to get all the alcohol we want, we have to lie all the time. We have to lie about where we've been and what we've been doing. When you are lying you are only half alive, because of the fear of being found out. When you come into A.A., and get honest with yourself and with other people, that terrible load of lying falls off your shoulders.

So ............

Have I got rid of that load of lying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Three Things

Our program says three things are more important than knowing ourselves: (1) admitting we have no control over our addiction, (2) believing in a Higher Power, and (3) turning our lives over to the care of that Higher Power. Knowing ourselves makes our lives better in recovery. But it does not give us sobriety. Sobriety starts with surrender to our Higher Power. We now know we need the faith and strength we get from a Higher Power. We also need the support of others in our program.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Man In The Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

~ Peter Dale Wimbrow Sr.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The thing that lies at the foundation of positive change, the way I see it, is service to a fellow human being.” ~ Lee lacocca
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 09-04-2022, 06:26 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 4

Prayer to Accept Myself

Lord,
Starting today, help me to live my life being myself and not pretending to be someone else. Help me to love and accept everyone else the way you created them. Help me to remember that when I reject others, I reject myself and when I reject myself. Clean my mind of any emotional poison it has known through abusive words, actions of others and of myself. Please help me to be happy to share my time with my loved ones and to forgive them for any injustice and hurt I feel in my mind. Allow me to love my family and friends unconditionally, to find better, loving ways to communicate with everyone, that there is no winner or loser.

Today is a new beginning. Help me to start my life over, help me to love you above all, to love others and treat them with dignity, to be happy to be alive and to no longer live in fear. Help me to become great in Kindness, Love, Faith, Forgiveness, Gratitude, Generosity, and Compassion so that I can be at peace.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What a load hangovers, put on your shoulders!

What terrible physical punishment we've all been through. The pounding headaches and jumpy nerves, the shakes and the jitters, the hot and cold sweats! When you come into A.A. and stop drinking, that terrible load of hangovers falls off your shoulders. What a load remorse, put on your shoulders! That terrible mental punishment we've all been through. Ashamed of the things you've said and done. Afraid to face people because of what they might think of you. Afraid of the consequences of what you did when you were drunk. What an awful beating the mind takes! When you come into A.A., that terrible load of remorse falls off your shoulders.

So ............

Have I gotten rid of these loads of hangovers and remorse?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Bending

Our program is based on bending. We call it "surrender." We surrender our self-will to the care of God. We do what we believe our Higher Power wants us to do. We learn this as an act of love.
Many of us believed surrender was a sign of weakness. We tried to control everything. But we change as we're in the program longer and longer. We learn to bend. We start to see that what is important is learning. We learn to do what's best for us and others. To learn, we need an open mind. To bend, we must stay open. Love and care become the center of our lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emotional Bottom

In the first years, those of us who sobered up in A.A. had been grim and utterly hopeless cases. But then we began to have success with milder alcoholics and even some potential alcoholics. Younger folks appeared. Lots of people turned up who still had jobs, homes, health, and even good social standing.

Of course, it was necessary for these newcomers to hit bottom emotionally. But they did not have to hit every possible bottom in order to admit that they were licked.

As Bill Sees It Page 209

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“What self-acceptance does is open up more possibilities of succeeding because you aren’t fighting yourself along the way.” ~ Shannon Ables
Old 09-05-2022, 06:07 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 5

Prayer for Making Decisions

Lord,
You know that today—or very soon—I must make a decision which is going to affect my whole life.
Grant me your guidance, and the humility to accept it.
Help me not necessarily to choose what I want to do, but what I should do.
Grant that I may not be swayed solely by fear or by hope of gain, by selfish love of ease or comfort or by personal ambition, by the desire to escape or by longing for prestige.
Hear this prayer of mine and send an answer so clear that I cannot mistake it.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Sometimes we try too hard to get this program.

It is better to relax and accept it. It will be given to us, with no effort on our part, if we stop trying too hard to get it. Sobriety can be a free gift of God, which he gives us by His grace when He knows we are ready for it. But we have to be ready. Then we must relax, take it easy, and accept the gift with gratitude and humility. We must put ourselves in God's hands. We must say to God: "Here I am and here are all my troubles. I've made a mess of things and can't do anything about it. You take me and all my troubles and do anything you want with me."

So ............

Do I believe that the grace of God can do for me what I could never do for myself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Trust

Big changes are happening to us, but we can trust that changes will bring good things. After all, what have we got to lose? We have lived through the days and years of our addiction. Now, with the help of our Higher Power, the pain of those days has ended. We have no reason to worry.

Yet, recovery won't make our lives perfect. Hard things still happened. But we never have to lose hope again. We never have to feel alone with our problems. What will come next? We don't know the details, but we can be sure the future will be good if we stay on our path of recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Growing Up in AA

Life is meant to be lived by facing the challenges it brings. Otherwise, I'm not living, just existing. God didn't give me this gift of sobriety to sit in a rocking chair, imagining myself as some old wise woman who has arrived somewhere. There is no easier, softer way.

The Best Of The Grapevine [Vol.3], Page 320

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We cannot get rid of our emotions. We can, however, manage them by changing our perception of them." ~ Lennox Cornwall
Old 09-06-2022, 05:40 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 6

Prayer to Release

God,
You know I am troubled by thoughts and feelings of anger, resentment and bitterness.
You also know why.
Plus, You know how deep the hurt goes and how long I have lived with it.
But I don’t want to live with it any longer.
I don’t want to be an angry, resentful and bitter person.
With Your help, I release my anger into Your hands.
I surrender my resentment. I let go of my bitterness.
Help me to keep letting go and release these toxic emotions as often as they try to return.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Let Go of the Past

It’s time to face up to the fact that the past is gone, and any effort to repeat it is a sure way to stay stuck in old blueprints that you would have already outgrown if you hadn’t been so busy clinging to what you have already been through.

So ............

Let the past go. Don’t let your memories stop you from seeing how beautiful and precious each moment in your life is now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Walks Like a .........

When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.

Remember how we tried to make others think we were not in trouble? We walked and talked like alcoholics. We acted like an alcoholic . Most everyone knew the truth but us. We were like ducks pretending to be eagles.

We see ourselves as we really are. But sometimes we can't see ourselves that way. This is normal.
That's why we need others to help us see what we can't. We were alcoholics. We are now recovering alcoholics . We need friends, sponsors, and family members to tell us when we may be acting like alcoholics again. It may save our lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out of Bondage

At Step Three, many of us said to our Maker, as we understand Him:
"God, I offer myself to Thee--to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that my transcendence over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love, and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always!"

We thought well before taking this Step, making sure we were ready. Then we could commence to abandon ourselves utterly to Him.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 63

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts” ~ David O. McKay
Old 09-07-2022, 03:47 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 7

Thankful Prayer

Lord,
Sometimes life gets me down and I find it hard to see things to be thankful for.
Open my eyes to see the gifts you’ve given me in my life.
I’m going to start by thanking you for another day and the ability to live it fully.
Please help me understand and do your will today.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Anyone can fight the battles in just one day.

It is only when you and I add the burden of those two awful eternities, yesterday and tomorrow that we break down. It is not the experience of today that drives us mad. It is the remorse or bitterness for something, which happened yesterday, or the dread of what tomorrow may bring. Let us therefore do our best to live but one day at a time.

So ............

Am I living one day at a time?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Failure

Failure is part of the road to success.

Failure isn't fun, but beating yourself up over it won't help. Each time you fall down, it serves as proof you're pushing yourself to new limits. Remember that each failure is an opportunity to grow stronger and become better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fear

When I face a fear, I am given courage; when I support a brother or sister, my capacity to love myself is increased; when I accept pain as part of the growing experience of life, I realize a greater happiness; when I look at my dark side, I am brought into new light; when I accept my vulnerability and surrender to a Higher Power, I am graced with unforeseen strength.

Daily Reflections Page 62

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Few Quotes

“You don't make progress by standing on the sidelines, whimpering and complaining. You make progress by implementing ideas.” ~ Shirley Chisholm

“Complaining not only ruins everybody else's day, it ruins the complainer's day, too. The more we complain, the more unhappy we get.” ~ Dennis Prager
Old 09-08-2022, 04:23 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 8

Serving Others Prayer

Lord,
Allow me to serve others with a joyful heart;
Never keeping score;
Always giving;
Never expecting to receive.
Allow me to give of myself,
To give of my talents and of my goods,
To give of my time and of my energy,
To give of my heart and of my soul.
Help me understand the needs of others.
Lord, keep a condemning spirit
Far from my heart and further from my lips.
Allow me to serve others,
With gentleness, compassion, and tenderness,
Never diminishing the worth of another,
Amen

~ Jack Watts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When ordinary people decide to step out and be part of something big, that’s when they become extraordinary.

So ............

It is amazing what can be accomplished when nobody cares about who gets the credit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Helping

What is the importance of helping others?

Helping others is not only good for them and a good thing to do, it also makes us happier and healthier too. Giving also connects us to others, creating stronger communities and helping to build a happier society for everyone. And it's not all about money - we can also give our time, ideas and energy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Working With Others

Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.

Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 89

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” ~ Pablo Picasso

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” ~ Dr. Seuss
Old 09-09-2022, 05:06 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 9

Prayer for Guidance

Lord, I am feeling uncertain about what I’m facing.
Please guide me and help me to cope with what is unfolding.
Please also grant me the peace that only you can give.
Amid my worries, please come alongside me and sustain me.
I know that I can put my trust in you.
Please grant me reminders along the way, so that I do not become overtaken by the unknown.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We got a kick out of the first few drinks, before we got stupefied by alcohol.

For a while, the world seemed to look brighter. But how about the letdown, the terrible depression that comes the morning after? In A.A., we get a real kick, not a false feeling of exhilaration, but a real feeling of satisfaction with ourselves and self-respect. And a feeling of friendliness toward the world. We got a sort of pleasure from drinking. For a while we thought we were happy. But it's only an illusion. The hangover the next day is the opposite of pleasure.

So ............

Am I getting real pleasure and serenity and peace in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Growth

Each of us has been given recovery. Now it's up to each of us what we do with it. At times, we'll work hard to grow quickly. At other times, our growth will be slower. This is okay. We're not in a race. Our pace is not important. What is important is that we're always working on our recovery.

We're all part of a fellowship, a caring group. We're one of many. But we're each important. Each of us will have a special way to work our programs through our readings, friends, meetings, and what we know of how life works. each of us puts together a miracle of recovery. We then take our miracle and share it with others, so they can build their miracle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Legitimate Reason

So, our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, if we have a legitimate reason for being there. That includes bars, nightclubs, dances, receptions, weddings, even plain ordinary whoopee parties. To a person who has had experience with an alcoholic, this may seem like tempting Providence, but it isn't.

You will note that we made an important qualification. Therefore, ask yourself on each occasion, "Have I any good social, business, or personal reason for going to this place? Or am I expecting to steal a little vicarious pleasure from the atmosphere of such

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 101

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

“When we finally give up the struggle to find fulfillment "out there," we have nowhere to go but within. It is at this moment of total surrender that a new light begins to dawn.” ~ Shakti Gawain
Old 09-10-2022, 06:05 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 10

Push My Buttons Prayer

Lord, it's likely that sometime today
someone will push my buttons
challenge my good will
misread my intentions
tick me off
try my patience
rattle my cage
judge me in haste
test my kindness
or do all of the above...

Give me the grace I'll need at such times
to respond with patience
to trust and accept
to listen carefully
to reach out in peace
to be fair and just
to anticipate goodness
in all my words and deeds...

I know this is a lot to ask, Lord,
but I need your help
to do for others
as I'd have them do for me...
Amen

~ Rev. Austin Fleming

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We in A.A. must remember that we are offering something intangible.

We are offering a psychological and spiritual program. We are not offering a medical program. If people need medical treatment, we call in a doctor. If they need a medical prescription, we let the doctor prescribe for them. If they need hospital treatment, we let the hospital take care of them. Our vital A.A. work begins when a person is physically able to receive it.

So ............

Am I willing to leave medical care to the doctors?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Little Things

Before recovery, we liked things our way. We thought every new thing we tried should go right the first time. Little problems could really upset us. We let little things spoil our day. We let little things affect big things---our entire lives. And our bad moods affected people around us. Funny how we have fewer of those problems now. The program is teaching us to let go. What a relief when we know we don't have to control every little thing. How nice when things get done without our "expert advice"! We are starting to see what's really important, and what's not. One promise of the program is coming true: we know how to handle situations better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Power Source

Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem. That means we have written a book which we believe to be spiritual as well as moral. And it means, of course, that we are going to talk about God. Here difficulty arises with agnostics. Many times we talk to a new man and watch his hope rise as we discuss his alcoholic problems and explain our fellowship. But his face falls when we speak of spiritual matters, especially when we mention God, for we have re-opened a subject which our man thought he had neatly evaded or entirely ignored.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 45

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” ~ Victor Frankl
Old 09-11-2022, 05:33 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 11

Prayer to Heal Stress

Lord, please grant me peace of mind and calm my troubled heart.
I can't seem to find my balance so I stumble and worry constantly.
Give me the strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose and walk the path you've laid out for me.
Lord, I trust you and know that you will heal this stress.
Just as the sun rises each day against the dark of night.
Please bring me clarity with the light of God.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I was always fascinated with the study of scientific principles.

I pursued Absolute Knowledge. God and spirituality were meaningless academic exercises. I was a modern man of science; knowledge was my Higher Power. Given the right set of equations, life was merely another problem to solve. Yet my inner self was dying from my outer man's solution to life's problems and the solution was alcohol. In spite of my intelligence, alcohol became my Higher Power. It was through the unconditional love which emanated from A.A. people and meetings that I was able to discard alcohol as my Higher Power. The great void was filled. I was no longer lonely and apart from life. I had found a true power greater than myself, I had found God's love.

So ............

There is only one equation which really matters to me now: God is in A.A.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

More

Before recovery, we never thought we had enough alcohol. More would make us feel better, we thought. Sometimes, we are like this in recovery too. We know we need to change, so we want to do it all right now. If we can just change ourselves totally, we'll feel better, we think.
But we can't change all at once. If we ask our Higher Power to take charge of our lives, we'll have the chance to change a little at a time. We'll learn the right things when we need to know them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the "Honeymoon"

For most of us, the first years of A.A. are something like a honeymoon. There is a new and potent reason to stay alive, joyful activity aplenty. For a time, we are diverted from the main life problems. That is all to the good.

But when the honeymoon has worn off, we are obliged to take our lumps, like other people. This is where the testing starts. Maybe the group has pushed us onto the side lines. Maybe difficulties have intensified at home, or in the world outside. Then the old behavior patterns reappear. How well we recognize and deal with them reveals the extent of our progress.

As Bill Sees It Page 216

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Every time you think you’re being rejected God’s actually redirecting you to something better. Ask him to give you the strength to press forward.” ~~ Nick Vujicic

“God doesn’t give you the people you want, he gives you the people you need. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you the person you were meant to be.” ~~ Anonymous

****** Off Topic ******

May All of us Remember

May all of us remember with love and compassion this day.
May we grieve with those who still mourn,
And share memories with those who cannot forget.
May we draw strength from those who bravely responded,
And gave their lives to save others.
May we stand with strangers who became neighbors that day,
And remember their generosity and hospitality.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:40 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 12

Prayer for Peace of Mind

Lord, sometimes my insides feel like a battle zone, where missiles are falling too close to home. Other times I'm caught in an endless storm, with thoughts flying out of control. Confusion reigns and defeat creeps in to steal my joy.

Lord, I ask you to give me all around peace in my mind, body, soul, and spirit. I want you to heal and remove everything that is causing stress, grief, and sorrow in my life.

Please guide my path through life and make my enemies be at peace with me. Let your peace reign in my family, at my place of work, businesses and everything I lay our hands on.

Bring peace into my soul that passes all worldly understanding and make me a light for others to see Your strength.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We in A.A. are offering a spiritual program.

The fundamental basis of A.A. is belief in some Power greater than ourselves. This belief takes us off the center of the universe and allows us to transfer our problems to some power outside of ourselves. We turn to this Power for the strength we need to get sober and stay sober. We put our problem with alcohol in God's hands and leave it there. We stop trying to run our own life and seek to let God run it for us.

So ............

Do I do my best to give spiritual help?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Conscious Contact

A.A. members are encouraged to recognize their Higher Power, to listen to that Higher Power, and allow Him or Her to inspire them in their journey of recovery. This is achieved through prayer and meditation. Seek conscious contact with God more and more each day. Make God an abiding presence during the day. Be conscious of His spirit helping you.

Nothing happens by mistake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Calmness Quiz

Allocate one point for each "Yes" answer.
In the last month, have you:

1. Worried a lot about something bad happening that in the end turned out just fine?
2. Had trouble sleeping because your mind was too busy with racing thoughts and/or your heart was pounding?
3. Worried about being late/not having enough time?
4. Had problems with your digestion?
5. Experienced shallow breathing because of anxious thoughts before an exam, presentation, important meeting at work, or awkward social meeting?
6. Lost your train of thought in a conversation and found it hard to focus on what the other person is saying?
7. Avoided social occasions by making up an excuse or white lie, or simply not turned up because you couldn’t face people?
8. Felt overly concerned if someone was late that something bad happened to them?
9. Felt overwhelmed by having too much to do?
10. Felt intense anxiety of panic?

Score: ____ out of 10

A score of three or more "Yes" answers indicate your calmness levels need love and attention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health.” ~ Dalai Lama

“Calmness is a huge gift. And once you master it, you will be able to respond in a useful way to every difficult situation that decides to walk into your heart.” ~ Geri Larkin
Old 09-13-2022, 05:32 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 13

Lord, For Today

Be with me Lord.
Be the patience when I'm frustrated.
Be the endurance when I am tired.
Be the wisdom when I am uncertain.
Be the inspiration when I'm out of ideas.
Be the peacemaker when I feel hurt.
Be the comforter when I feel overwhelmed.
Be the energy when I am weary.
Be the guide when I am confused.
Be the forgiver when I get it wrong.
Be with me Lord, today.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

On a dark night, the bright lights of the corner tavern looked mighty inviting.

Inside, there seems to be warmth and good cheer. But we don't stop to think that if we go in there we'll probably end up drunk, with our money spent and an awful hangover. A long mahogany bar in the tropical moonlight looks like a very gay place. But you should see the place the next morning. The chairs are piled on the tables and the place stinks of stale beer and cigarette stubs. And often we are there too, trying to cure the shakes by gulping down straight whiskey.

So ............

Can I look straight through the night before and see the morning after?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Faith

We believed Alcohol could help us control our happiness. But now we’re learning to rely on faith for our happiness. Faith is about leaving things to our Higher Power's control. Instead of wanting to control ourselves, we trust our Higher Power will help us handle things that come along.
In recovery, we work at having more faith. Faith in a Higher Power. Faith in the Steps. Faith in our groups. Faith that our lives will get better, if we don't use chemicals and we work an honest recovery program. Faith makes life a lot easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Money Matters

Money gradually became our servant and not our master.
It became a means of exchanging love and service with those about us.
When, with God's help, we calmly accepted our lot, we found we could live at peace with ourselves and show others who still suffered the same fears that they could get over them, too. We found that freedom from fear was more important than freedom from want.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 122

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being." ~ James E. Faust
Old 09-14-2022, 05:16 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 14

Prayer For Energy & Strength

Lord,
I pray for myself and others who are feeling tired or empty.
Help us not to complain amidst our weakness.
Restore our minds so that we can still function properly.
Give our bodies the energy needed to get through each day.
Please also help us to manage our time so that we will get the rest we need.
Help us to prune things that are hard to let go of that suck the energy from us.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We in A.A. are offering a wonderful program.

When we learn to turn to a Higher Power, with faith that that Power can give us the strength we need, we find peace of mind. When we re-educate our minds by learning to think differently, we find new interests that make life worthwhile. We who have achieved sobriety through faith in God and mental re-education are modern miracles. It is the function of our A.A. program to produce modern miracles.

So ............

Do I consider the change in my life a modern miracle?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Problems

When we worry, we get upset. Problems seem too big for us. We get afraid. We feel powerless. What does the program tell us to do when we feel powerless and our life is upset? We look at the problem honestly . Then we ask our Higher Power to help us with the problem. We take it One Day at a Time. We believe our Higher Power will take care of us and help. We'll have problems. That's life! But we can get through them with care and support. We don't have to get crazy. We don't have to make things worse. We can be kind to ourselves and live through problems just fine---with our Higher Powers help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time

And what is time to me now? It is a most precious asset.
I have the luxury of being able to cherish the memory of yesterday, to live today with serenity, to wait for tomorrow. I find contentment in just knowing where I was and where I am. And I am grateful; grateful for the existence of Alcoholics Anonymous; grateful to my God for leading me to the doors of AA and to Himself, grateful for hope.
I am grateful for this minute. My eternity may be in it.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 2] Page 21

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Just as we experience joy in caring for others, they experience joy in caring for us.” ~ Linda Nocks Shah
Post New ThreadReply