Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Recovery Topics and Questions

Share This Forum!  

Recovery Topics and Questions Post all recovery related topics and questions that you have here for discussion.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Topic of the week, words that begin with the letter "O"

O is for open mind. Kept it open, but not so open that everything falls out. Don't close it so nothing can get through. Keep an opened mind to what others say, don't let it clamp shut just because they don't believe the same as you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
dwmoeller

O is for One day at a time.

The AA slogan "One Day at a Time" has been quoted millions of times I think. Yet it still has power...power to keep an alcoholic sober. A lifetime of sobriety can seem an impossible thing, but you can be sober for one day. You string all of these one day at a time together and the next thing you know you have 1 month, 2 months....18 months, 1 year, 2 years...a lifetime of sobriety...One day at a Time!

Dave

dwmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dwmoeller For Sharing:
Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Once. Once you have tried us, you won't want to leave us if you have the willingness to stay clean and sober. One alcoholic/addict sharing with another alcoholic/addict their experience, strength and hope, is a winning combination.

I can't do it alone, it is a we program.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Opinion. Everyone has one. Sometimes they are kept to themselvers. Not one of my strong points, too often call them as I see them.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Options. We do have them. When in doubt, turn to your Higher Power. I try to remember when and not repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #6
dwmoeller

O is for On Reasons for Joining AA

People who come to AA for anyone but themselves are trying to swim with concrete flippers--it can be done, but it's a whole lot more difficult than it needs to be.

Again and again, we see people who come to AA because of their wives, husbands, bosses, judges, and so on. Unless these folks come to terms with their denial and compliance (for example, "I'll agree to anything, if you'll only shut up.), they have less than average chances of success, If I'm not in AA to save my own fanny, I will most likely not get better.

Dave

dwmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for OMG!!! We will be amazed before we are half way through Step Nine as to how The Promises start to come true in our lives. When in all times of trials and tribulations, we can say, "Oh my God, please help me." I can't, He can, just for today, I choose to let Him.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Over. The words that came to mind were, "It's not over until I say it is over." Yet those words don't from me, they are from my Higher Power.

This is not a quick fix program. I had to learn to trust the process. Just because I worked on something before, doesn't mean it won't pop up again, and I will have to apply the program, Steps 4-9, on what is causing dis-ease in my mind in today. I didn't get sick over night, I don't get better over night, so I have to keep coming so I don't have to come back. I have to be open to new things, in all areas of my life, not just about my drug of choice.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #9
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Opinion. Everyone has one and have a right to express themselves. We can agree to disagree, we don't have to carry a resentment. We each have to find our own program and find what works for us. Some people do a meeting every week, others only do 2-4 meetings a week, others just go to their home group. As long as it keeps them clean and sober, all the more power to them. Me, I was one of the sick ones. I did two meetings a day for two years, and went to a 3rd, twice a week if I could get a ride. Some people don't get sponsors or if they do, the person is in name only and they rarely call them. Me, I had an AA sponsor, a NA sponsor for a short time, until I found a woman in AA who had been a heroin addict, who got triggered in NA, so went to AA for her recovery. My first sponsor was dually addicted and went to AA. I also had co-sponsors, Indian women from AA. My first sponsor in Al-Anon died and we were sponsoring each other prior to her passing. It was a great experience. The same happened with my Service sponsor, who took credit for teaching me to laugh at myself. I am fortunate to have these wonderful women in my life. I would not be clean and sober without them.
I did go to them for their ESH, and made the decision myself. My co-sponsor said you have the answers within.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #11
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for One day at a time. I like them all but I think this is my favorite. One day's issues, thoughts, feelings, and all I have to do is stay sober for this 24 hours. What makes it special is that I can pause, say the Serenity Prayer, and start my day again. Just for today, I choose not to use people, places, and things.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Occupy. Occupy your mind with positive things. Let go of old habits, patterns, and behaviors, and think up new ways to replace them.

Occupy your mind with spiritual things and that emptiness and chaos will disappear and you will find some peace and serenity.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 AM   #14
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Over. Don't over eat, don't over work, don't fill your life with things that can take your life out of balance. We have a disease that is obsessive/compulsive, and we tend to look at things as more. When I start thinking more, I have to change my thinking and I give it over to my HP to bring it back into balance.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

O is for Ouch. It really hurts to see someone relapse. It hurts that they are not willing to reach out for help and allow their drug of choice do the talking. We are not our disease. We can obtain from using one day at a time, following the spiritual program of recovery. Each person needs to find their own program. As my ex-boyfriend once shared with me, "I had a program, but I chose not to work it." He was in and out of the program for years, thankfully he made it back in and died sober.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply