Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 02-16-2023, 04:33 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 16

Prayer to Release

God,
You know I am troubled by thoughts and feelings of anger, resentment and bitterness. You also know why. And You know how deep the hurt goes and how long I have lived with it. But I don’t want to live with it any longer. I don’t want to be an angry, resentful and bitter person. With Your help, I release my anger into Your hands. I surrender my resentment. I let go of my bitterness. Help me to keep letting go and release these toxic emotions as often as they try to return.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We have definitely left that dream world behind.

It was only a sham. It was a world of our making and it was not the real world. We are sorry for the past, yes, but we learned a lot from it. We can put it down to experience, valuable experience, as we see it now, because it has given us the knowledge necessary to face the world as it really is. We had to become alcoholics in order to find the A.A. program. We would not have got it any other way. In a way, it was worth it.

So ............

Do I look at my past as valuable experience?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Time Alone

We all need some time alone.
It's a good idea to set aside a few minutes every day to be alone with ourselves. This goes for every member of the family, and it's important that we allow others some time for themselves. This is a very special time that is all our own. It's a time to relax and refresh ourselves.

If we want to have healthy, fulfilling relationships with each other, we all need time to ourselves every day. Without being "real people"--truly ourselves - how can we be full members of our family?

When I am alone, I can talk with my God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Be Fair-Minded

Too often, I think, we have depreciated and even derided projects of our friends in the field of alcoholism just because we do not always see eye to eye with them. We should very seriously ask ourselves how many alcoholics have gone on drinking simply because we have failed to cooperate in good spirit with these many agencies--whether they be good, bad, or indifferent. No alcoholic should go mad or die merely because he did not come straight to A.A. at the beginning. Our first objective will be the development of self-restraint. This carries a top-priority rating. When we speak or act hastily or rashly, the ability to be fair-minded and tolerant evaporates on the spot.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 91

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not." ~ James Gordon
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2023, 04:38 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 17

Guidance Prayer

God,
You know my weakness and failings, and that without Your help I can accomplish nothing for the good of souls, my own and others’. Grant me, therefore, the help of Your grace. Grant it according to my particular needs this day. Enable me to see the task You will set before me in the daily routine of my life, and help me work hard at my appointed tasks. Teach me to bear patiently all the trials of suffering or failure that may come to me today.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Seeing the privileges that the A.A. movement has given me ............

I shall share in the responsibilities, taking it upon myself to carry my fair share of the load, not grudgingly but joyfully. I am deeply grateful for the privileges I enjoy because of my membership in this great movement. They put an obligation upon me, which I will not shirk. I will gladly carry my fair share of the burdens. Because of the joy of doing them, they will no longer be burdens, but opportunities.

So ............

Will I accept every opportunity gladly?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Actions

What we do can be much more important than what we say. We tend to talk about things we want to do. We need to also be people who do things we talk about. We are not spiritual people unless our actions are spiritual.
Many of us used to be "all or nothing" people. That made us afraid to take on big projects. But now we can get things done, if we take one step at a time. We're not "all or nothing" people anymore. We're people who are changing and growing a little every day. And each day our deeds match our words a little better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appreciation

It is strictly my opinion, based on my experience, that one becomes richer in spirit as one grows in spirit. The more I accept God, the more He gives me. As I become more appreciative of the benefits received, I try harder to show my appreciation. My capacity to be content with life as it is has greatly increased. Therefore, as time goes on, I become more able to be at peace with my fellowman, with God, and within myself.

Came To Believe Page 87

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

"To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue." ~ Gautama Buddha

"The most difficult thing I have ever had to do is follow the guidance I prayed for." ~ Albert Schweitzer
Old 02-18-2023, 06:27 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 18

Prayer For Peace Of Mind

Dear God,
Please give me peace of mind and heart, discipline and organization skills in my life. Please help me be the best person I can be. Rid my heart of all feelings of envy and of resentment. Help me reach my goals and dreams. Help me stop losing sleep over things I can’t control and over people that have offended me.

Lord, also please help me become an organized and disciplined person; I know that much of my stress will go away if I can learn those two very important life skills. Thank you for all the blessings you give me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

It doesn't do much good to come to meetings only once in a while and sit around, hoping to get something out of the program.

That's all right at first, but it won't help us very long. Sooner or later we have to get into action by coming to meetings regularly, by giving a personal witness of our experience with alcohol, and by trying to help other alcoholics. Building a new life takes all the energy that we used to spend on drinking.

So ............

Am I spending at least as much time and effort on the new life that I'm trying to build in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

All We Have Is Now

We can only live now, this moment. We cannot erase the mistakes we made yesterday or bring back the good times we had. We cannot know what tomorrow will require of us, nor can we ensure future security and happiness. Now is what we have, and now is everything.

We can deal with the problems, which confront us today as best we can, trusting God to guide us. We can be in touch with our Higher Power only in the present. As we focus on the present moment, we live it deeper, and we derive a satisfaction that we did not know when we were regretting the past and worrying about the future. Whatever happens now is all I can manage and all I need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fear

This short word somehow touches about every aspect of our lives. It was an evil and corroding thread; the fabric of our existence was shot through with it. It set in motion trains of circumstances which brought us misfortune we felt we didn't deserve. But did not we, ourselves, set the ball rolling? Sometimes we think fear ought to be classed with stealing. It seems to cause more trouble.

Alcoholics Anonymous Pages 67- 68.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them." ~ Joshua Liebman
Old 02-19-2023, 07:04 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 19

Prayer for Happiness and Peace

Lord,
When I suffer despair and lack of confidence, lead me to hope, faith, and trust.
Lead me away from dishonesty and deceit toward eternal truth.
Allow eternal peace and tranquility to fill my heart, my mind, my life, and my world.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Thank God that I have A.A. meetings to go to.

Where would I go without them? Where would I be without them? Where would I find the sympathy, the understanding, the fellowship, and the companionship? Nowhere else in the world. I have come home. I have found the place where I belong. I no longer wander alone over the face of the earth. I am at peace and at rest. What a great gift has been given me by A.A.! I do not deserve it. But it is nevertheless mine. I have a home at last. I am content.

So ............

Do I thank God every day for the A.A. fellowship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Gift of Life

When we are ill, we are forced to face our own mortality. A close brush with death is enough to put the fear of dying into us, but with this fear a sense of spiritually may flow through our lives. Problems, which once seemed overwhelming diminish in size. The trees are greener, the sky is bluer. People are kinder and more sharing than ever before.

We often don’t miss what we’ve taken for granted until it’s nearly yanked away from us. All of a sudden, every day is a gift. Every day is a precious chance to live.

I am continuing the struggle to make each day the best one because I rejoice in the gift of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting Active

I know today that getting active means trying to live the suggested Steps of The Program to the best of my ability. It means striving for some degree of honesty, first with myself, then with others. It means activity directed inward, to enable me to see myself and my relationship with my Higher Power more clearly. As I get active, outside and inside myself, so shall I grow in The Program. Do I let others do all the work at meetings? Do I carry my share?

May I realize that “letting go and letting God” does not mean that I do not have to put any effort into The Program. It is up to me to work the Twelve Steps, to learn what may be an entirely new thing with me — honesty. May I differentiate between activity for activity’s sake — busy-work to keep me from thinking – - and the thoughtful activity which helps me to grow.

~ Danielle S., San Francisco, CA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.” ~ Saint Francis de Sales
Old 02-20-2023, 06:07 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 20

Prayer For The Irritated

Lord,
I confess my irritation with those who bully their way with words,
who fail to take responsibility for their actions,
who think no one sees what they do in the shadows,
and who live in a world of denial.
I’m angry and scared and tired of doing the right thing.
Strengthen my heart so that I do not lose hope.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

On the foundation of sobriety, we can build a life of honesty, unselfishness, faith in God, and love of our fellow human beings.

We'll never fully reach these goals, but the adventure of building that kind of a life is so much better than the merry-go-round of our old drinking life that there's no comparison. We come into A.A. to get sober, but if we stay long enough, we learn a new way of living. We become honest with ourselves and with other people. We learn to think more about others and less about ourselves. And we learn to rely on the constant help of a Higher Power.

So ............

Am I living the way of honesty, unselfishness, and faith?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Struggles

The struggles of life teach us a lot. They challenge our beliefs. As we struggle, we come to believe that our friends, family, and our God will be there for us in hard times.

But we must do our part. We need to call and honestly let people know how we are doing. We need to pray and ask our God for help. If we do these things, we'll come to respect and learn from hard times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Attitudes

We find that our old attitudes toward our instincts need to undergo drastic revisions. Our desires for emotional security and wealth, for personal prestige and power, for romance, and for family satisfactions - all these have to be tempered and redirected. If we place instincts first, we have got the cart before the horse; we shall be pulled backward into disillusionment. But when we are willing to place spiritual growth first - then and only then do we have a real chance.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 114

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"The individual is capable of both great compassion and great indifference. He has it within his means to nourish the former and outgrow the latter." ~ Norman Cousins
Old 02-21-2023, 05:51 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 21

Prayer For A Clear Mind

Lord, I desire to be clear-minded in a time when deceit and deception floods into our minds from so many quarters. I do not want to be swept into the world’s way of thinking, and pray that You would give me increasing and ongoing clarity of thought in my home and in the general activities of life as well as my special times of devotion, prayer and fellowship meetings.

Lord, open the eyes of my understanding, I pray, and give me real wisdom. Help me not to fall into a spiritual slumber but rather to remain alert and watchful for the truth.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In A.A. we're all through with lying, hangovers, remorse, and wasting money.

When we were drinking, we were only half alive. Now that we're trying to live decent, honest, unselfish lives, we're really alive. Life has a new meaning for us, so that we can really enjoy it. We feel that we're of some use in the world. We're on the right side of the fence, instead of on the wrong side. We can look the world in the face instead of hiding in alleys. We come into A.A. to get sober and if we stay long enough, we learn a new way of living.

So ............

Am I convinced that no matter how much fun I thought I got out of drinking, that life never was as good as the life I can build in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Tempting Moments

Though real sobriety means all loss of desire to drink, it's not uncommon to have moments when the old life takes on a sudden appeal. This appeal is never based on a realistic look at things as they were. It is more a rush of feeling connected with some alluring aspect of the drinking life. Such a false feeling will always pass if we let ourselves remember what happened to us and why we needed to seek recovery. We cannot have this rush of feeling when we remember the misery, despair, and other pain from that part of our lives.

All that glitters is not gold, goes an old saying. All the glittering scenes connected with drinking are not really golden moments, either. They are, for us, always preludes to disaster. I'll remember today to let realistic thinking rule my life even if there are moments when my feelings run temporarily awry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Change

I tried to change the time and place and amount of my drinking. I tried to change my environment, my place of living -- like most of us who at one time or another think that our trouble is geography rather than whiskey. I even entertained the idea of changing wives. I tried to change everything and everybody, except myself -- the only thing I could change.

Experience, Strength and Hope Page 153

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"You can keep things in perspective by realizing that not much in life is as urgent as others would like you to believe. Lord, help me to know and stay focused on what is really important to me." ~ M. Robin Sharma
Old 02-22-2023, 05:22 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 22

Morning Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, help me to live this day, quietly, easily; to lean on your great strength, trustfully, restfully;
to wait for the unfolding of your will, patiently, serenely; to meet others, peacefully, joyfully;
to face tomorrow, confidently, courageously.

~ St. Francis of Assisi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

To grasp the A.A. program, we have to think things out.

We have to learn to think straight. We have to change from alcoholic thinking to sober thinking. We must build up a new way of looking at things. Before we came into A.A., we wanted an artificial life of excitement and everything that goes with drinking. That kind of a life looked normal to us then. But as we look back now, that life looks the exact opposite of normal. In fact, it looks most abnormal. We must reeducate our minds.

So ............

Am I changing from an abnormal thinker to a sober normal thinker?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Wants and Needs

Part of taking responsibility for us means taking responsibility for what we want and need, and knowing that's okay to do. Learning to tune in to us, learning to listen to ourselves, is an art. It takes practice.

What we want and need counts. It's important, and it's valid. It's okay to learn to participate in meeting our own needs. What does it sound like we might want and need? What would we guess would help us feel better? What are our feelings telling us? Our body? Our mind? Our intuition? If we ask, then listen closely; we'll hear the answer.

We can learn to identify what we want and need and be patient with ourselves while we're learning. I will pay attention to what I want and need. I will not discount myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Restore Us to Sanity

Few indeed are the practicing alcoholics who have any idea how irrational they are, or, seeing their irrationality, can bear to face it. For example, some will be willing to term themselves "problem drinkers," but cannot endure the suggestion that they are in fact mentally ill.

They are abetted in this blindness by a world which does not understand the difference between sane drinking and alcoholism. "Sanity" is defined as "soundness of mind." Yet no alcoholic, soberly analyzing his destructive behavior, whether the destruction fell on the dining-room furniture or his own moral fiber, can claim "soundness of mind" for himself.

As Bill Sees It Page 141

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote
“Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.” ~ Chinese proverb
Old 02-23-2023, 05:47 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 23

Prayer for Direction

Lord,
Give me the strength and direction to do the right thing no matter what the consequences may be.
Help me to consider others and not harm them in any way.
Help me to consult with others before I take any actions that would cause me to be sorry.
Help me to not repeat such behaviors.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In the beginning, you want to get sober.

But you're helpless, so you turn to a Power greater than yourself and by trusting in that Power, you get the strength to stop drinking. From then on, you want to keep sober, and that's a matter of reeducating your mind. After a while, you get so that you really enjoy simple, healthy, normal living. You really get a kick out of life without the artificial stimulus of alcohol. All you have to do is to look around at the members of any A.A. group and you will see how their outlook has changed.

So ............

Is my outlook on life changing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Appreciating Our Past

It is easy to be negative about past mistakes and unhappiness. But it is much more healing to look at ourselves and our past in the light of experience, acceptance, and growth. Our past is a series of lessons that advance us to higher levels of living and loving.

The relationships we entered, stayed in, or ended taught us necessary lessons. Our mistakes? Necessary. Our frustrations, failures, and sometimes-stumbling attempts at growth and progress? Necessary too.Each step of the way, we learned. We went through exactly the experiences we needed to, to become who we are today. Each step of the way, we progressed.

I need to let go of negative thoughts I may be harboring about my past circumstances or relationships. I can accept, with gratitude, all that has brought me to today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Book

By 1937, some of us realized that AA needed a standard literature. There would have to be a book. .
Well, we did quarrel violently over the preparation and distribution of that AA Book. In fact, it took five years for the clamor to die down.
Should any AA's dream that the old-timers who put the Book together went about in serene meditation and white robes, then they had best forget it.
The inspiration that readers now say they find in the volume must have got there by the grace of God only!

The Language of the Heart Page 33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Big things are built one brick at a time. Victories are achieved one choice at a time. A life well lived is chosen one day at a time.” ~ Lysa TerKeurst
Old 02-24-2023, 05:22 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 24

Negative Thinking Prayer

Lord,
There are days in life where my thoughts consume me.
I sink to lows I never imagined possible.
My entire being suffers as my thoughts become increasingly negative.
I become depressed and unmotivated.
Lord, come alongside me and give me the strength to endure those days of bad thoughts and mental affliction.
Give me peace of mind to make it through them, and that I can finish those days with faith and confidence.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Alcoholics are people whose drinking got them into a "dead end."

They are always making the same mistakes and suffering the same consequences over and over again. They refuse to admit they're alcoholic. They still think they can handle it themselves. They won't swallow their pride and admit that they're different from ordinary drinkers. They won't face the fact that they must spend the rest of their lives without alcohol. They can't visualize life without ever taking a drink.

So ............

Am I out of this dead end?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-Love

There’s a big difference between being self-centered and having self-love. We’re self-centered when we think we don’t need people. We might think, “I’m more important than others.” Being self-centered ends up hurting us.
It makes us lonely. It keeps us from our Higher Power. Alcoholic addiction is about being self-centered.
Recovery and the Twelve Steps are about self-love. If we love ourselves, we say, “We’re all equal and in need of each other.” Self-love includes having good relationships.
It includes trusting that we'll do what is best, with the help of our Higher Power. We must believe in ourselves to trust others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inspiration

At some time, perhaps in a more moderate way, nearly everyone has experienced this spirit touch of God, the fleeting feeling of insight, love, joy, and 'The world is right.' Once, I thought that only unusual circumstances made these moments possible. Actually, I now think, they are forecasts of what one can have if one is willing to take the time and make the effort. Peace, love, and joy can be sought through quiet thinking and honest prayer. The wholeness, the new awareness, that is produced affects one's relationship with God and man to a degree greater than would seem possible in ordinary life.

Came to Believe Page 65

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"For many, negative thinking is a habit which, over time, becomes an addiction." ~ Peter McWilliams
Old 02-25-2023, 05:14 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 25

Obsessive Thoughts Prayer

Lord,
You know how much I want to cling to these concerns and rehearse them over and over again in my head.
Rid me of these obsessive thoughts. I give all my worries and cares to You, for I know You care about each minor detail.
Forgive me for failing to fully trust in Your providence for me, and help me develop a greater faith.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Strength comes also from working with other alcoholics.

When you are trying to help a new prospect with the program, you are building up your own strength at the same time. You see the other person in the condition you might be in yourself and it makes your resolve to stay sober stronger than ever. Often, you help yourself more than the other person, but if you do succeed in helping the prospect to get sober, you are stronger from the experience of having helped another person.

So ............

Am I still receiving strength from helping others?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Blame

It's so easy to blame others. Others are always making mistakes we can hide behind. That's what blame is---hiding. When we blame others for our mistakes, we're trying to hide our character defects.
It's nobody else’s fault that we act the way we do. It's our fault. We're responsible for our actions.
And with the help of our Higher Power, we can change. We can turn over our character defects. Over time, we're not afraid to learn about ourselves---even the parts we don't like---because we want to know ourselves better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Self Will

The philosophy of self-sufficiency doesn't pay off. Plainly enough, it is a bone-crushing juggernaut whose final achievement is ruin. Therefore, we can consider ourselves fortunate indeed. Each of us has had his own near-fatal encounter with the juggernaut of self-will, and has suffered enough under its weight to look for something better.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Pages 37-38

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” ~ Lao Tzu, ancient Chinese philosopher
Old 02-26-2023, 05:56 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 26

Prayer to Accept Change

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, Lord, things change again. When will I be able to rest in the comfort of knowing what comes next?

Empty my heart of anxiety, and fill it instead with wonder and awe. Release me from the chains of complacency, and bind me to your ever-moving Spirit.

When fear of something new paralyzes me, and grief cripples me with anger over the loss of what had been, send your angels to give me a gentle push over that frightening edge into the unknown, so that I may learn to trust in you.
Amen

~ Diana Macalintal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I can help other alcoholics. I am of some use in the world. I have a purpose in life. I am worth something at last.

My life has a direction and a meaning. All that feeling of futility is gone. I can do something worthwhile. God has given me a new lease on life so that I can help other alcoholics. He has let me live through all the hazards of my alcoholic life to bring me at last to a place of real usefulness in the world. He has let me live for this. This is my opportunity and my destiny.

So ............

I am worth something! Will I give as much of my life as I can to A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Guiding Principle

All of us have our own battles to win, the battle between the material view of life and the spiritual view. Something must guide our lives. Will it be wealth, pride, selfishness, and greed or will it be faith, honesty, purity, unselfishness, love, and service? Each one has a choice. We can choose good or evil. We cannot choose both. Are we going to keep striving until we win the battle? If we win the victory, we can believe that even God in His heaven will rejoice.

Today, I seek to choose the good and resist the evil. Also, I pray that I will not be a loser in the battle for righteousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Room for Improvement

We have come to believe that A.A.'s recovery Steps and Traditions represent the approximate truths which we need for our particular purpose. The more we practice them, the more we like them. So there is little doubt that A.A. principles will continue to be advocated in the form they stand now.
If our basics are so firmly fixed as all this, then what is there left to change or to improve?
The answer will immediately occur to us. While we need not alter our truths, we can surely improve their application to ourselves, to A.A. as a whole, and to our relation with the world around us. We can constantly step up the practice of 'these principles in all our affairs.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come." ~ Joseph Campbell
Old 02-27-2023, 06:09 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 27

Prayer to Reduce Fear

Dear Lord,
You know that we live in a crazy and chaotic world.
You also know my struggles in my daily life.
When life gets to be too much, please help me come to you.
Calm my thoughts and emotions and open my heart to your peace, comfort, and wisdom.
Help me not to live in fear.
Please reduce the feelings of fear and anxiety that plague me.
Help me rest in You and trust You as I navigate through this broken world..
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

An alcoholic carries an awful load around with them.

What a load lying puts on your shoulders! Drinking makes liars out of all of us alcoholics. In order to get all the alcohol we want, we have to lie all the time. We have to lie about where we've been and what we've been doing. When you are lying you are only half alive, because of the fear of being found out. When you come into A.A., and get honest with yourself and with other people, that terrible load of lying falls off your shoulders.

So ............

Have I got rid of that load of lying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Today

Today, let’s be gentle and kind. Let's talk to ourselves with love and respect. Let’s be gentle with others too.
Today, let’s be clear in how we think, speak, and act. And if we start to get mixed up, let’s stop thinking and listen to our Higher Power’s voice.
Today, we know that we have just a small job to do. It is to live today with love in our heart. We can’t take care of every problem in the world. But we make our actions today part of the answer instead of the part of the problem. Let's Keep It Simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gratitude

Gratitude is the measure of our appreciation for what we've been given. We in Program have SO much for which we should be thankful. We stand on the shoulders of giants - we are indebted to those members who've proceeded us in Program and handed down the tools, wisdom and resources - the bedrock upon which our recovery is based. We are indebted to our HP, our sponsors, to those who do service in innumerable ways at the Recovery Group and - to each other - for mutual love and support - and for our precious gift of recovery. Be grateful for each day - each moment.

"One Day at a Time . . . I will continue to practice the attitude of gratitude and learn to forgive others."
~ Rob R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don’t have.” ~ Woody Allen
Old 02-28-2023, 05:53 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 28

Self Respect Prayer

Lord,
Thank You for giving me the richest gift of all: You taught me to respect myself.
I have the ability to say “no” to the toxic people in my life.
I am now able to surround myself with only those who share authentic love through word and deed.
I can grow to my full potential.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have lost much of my inferiority complex.

I was always trying to escape from life. I did not want to face reality. I was full of self-pity. I was constantly sorry for myself. I tried to avoid all responsibilities. I did not feel that I would handle the responsibilities of my family or my work. Owing to my inferiority complex, I was eager to be free of all responsibilities. I wanted to drift; I wanted to be "on the beach." A.A. showed me how to get over my feeling of inferiority. It made me want to accept responsibility again.

So ............

Have I lost my inferiority complex?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

One Day At A Time

None of us woke up one morning and found we had suddenly turned into an al;copholic. We got to be one by practice. And we practiced often. We ignored our families--we left work early--and went drinking. Daily, we chose alcohol over anything else. Likewise, getting sober is no accident. We work the program. At meetings, we're reminded to help others. We all get sober on the installment plan. A day at a time. We got sick one day at a time; we recovered one day at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rebellion

Rebellion dogs our every step at first.
When we have finally admitted we are powerless over alcohol, we are apt to breathe a great sigh of relief, saying,
"Well, thank God that's over! I'll never have to go through that again!"
Then we learn, often to our consternation, that this is only the first milestone on the new road we are walking.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 73

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~ Joan Didion
Post New ThreadReply