View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 05:58 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 14

Quote of the Week

“Sometimes you don’t make progress, you hold on.”

When I was new in recovery, there were many days when I felt I just wasn’t going to make it. I would see others take chips and cakes on their anniversaries, and I was pretty sure I’d be drunk tomorrow. When I met with my sponsor, he told me that even if I couldn’t see the progress I was making, others could. When he saw my look of disbelief, he asked if I was sober that day. I told him I was, and he told me the program was working for me even if it didn’t feel like it.

As I made my way through the Steps, it continued to be a roller coaster ride. Sometimes the pink cloud returned and I was filled with hope and gratitude. But other times I descended into the pit of despair and felt like I was going backward. During these dark times, my sponsor told me to just hold on. “Don’t drink today, and I guarantee it will pass,” he said. And it always did.
​​​​​​​
After many years of sobriety, there are still times in life when I don’t feel as though I’m making the progress I would like. What I’ve learned is that it is okay to just hold on during these times. I have found the solution is for me to stay sober, turn things over to God, get grateful for what I do have, and be open for what His will is next for me. Each time I do this, I find that holding on is actually part of the process that leads to the progress I was hoping for.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote