View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 3

Quote of the Week

"I’ll never be happy as long as I keep comparing my insides with someone else’s outsides."

It is very easy for me to feel less than. I’m constantly comparing myself to other people and asking why I don’t have a better car, a bigger house, or more money. I’m convinced that most people are happier than I am, know something I don’t, or are having a better life. While I’ve always felt something was wrong with me, it wasn’t until I entered recovery that I found out what it was.

I remember having this discussion with my sponsor and him telling me that alcoholism is a disease of perception. He told me there are three beliefs most alcoholics have that will forever prevent them from being happy. First, he said that we believe that what we don’t have is almost certainly better than what we do have. Second, no matter how much we have of something, we’re sure that having more of it would be better. The third belief is that when we finally get what we want, then we’ll be happy.

Now, I don’t know how he read my mind, but that sure described me! When I asked him what I was supposed to do next, he told me that God could and would restore me to sanity if I was willing to work Step Two. I was. It’s taken awhile, but today I have an attitude of gratitude, I’m comfortable in my own skin, and I have a peace and serenity that no car or amount of money could ever give me. And best of all, I’m truly happy because I no longer feel the need to compare my insides with someone else’s outsides.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.