View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 9

PRAY FOR OTHERS

“We are careful never to pray for our own selfish ends.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 87

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

For what it's worth: The absence of prayer contributed to my alcoholic disaster as surely as the presence of prayer provides for my recovery. Sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, my prayer life began slowly and simply with “please help me” and “thank you”. However, it seemed the Big Book statement about never praying “for our own selfish ends” was saying I was praying all wrong. I am grateful the Prayer of St. Francis offered some clarity: when my prayer focuses on others, I surely benefit. Francis knew praying to be an instrument of peace for others and seeking to love more than being loved is most pleasing to God. So he concludes his prayer reminding me when I give to others, I receive; when I pardon others, I am pardoned; and, when I die, I am born to eternal joy. Today I know from my own experience when I focus on others in prayer, my Heavenly Father attends to me and my needs.

God bless you.
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: