View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 12:28 PM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 9

Quote of the Week

"Listen for the similarities, not the differences."

Before my first-ever meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous, I was scared and didn’t know what to expect. My friend made this suggestion to me, and it allowed me to pay closer attention; it also helped me to identify and see how I might fit in. I kept listening for the similarities during other meetings I attended, and each time I did I recognized pieces of myself, and I heard my story come out of the mouths of others. Soon I knew I belonged.

In addition to identifying with others in this way, I also saw the similarities in the different stages of recovery that people went through. Each time members shared their experience of using the Twelve Steps to meet life on life’s terms, I saw how my own journey of recovery would soon mirror theirs, and this gave me the strength to begin dealing with some difficult situations in my own life. Seeing others recover through the program also filled me with the hope that I would recover also.

Like many of the lessons I’ve learned in the program, I now apply this one in all areas of my life. Listening for the similarities in other people’s experience—at work, at home, and in relationships—has increased my empathy for others, as well as myself. Doing this has helped me feel not only a part of the program, but a part of life again as well. Today, I’m quick to see how my experience and life journey are similar to others, which helps keep me connected, humble, and happy.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: