Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reflections for Every Day - July (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4073)

yukonm 07-14-2014 07:15 AM

July 14

Cee Says:

Well, for me, what was driving me crazy (him too) was the nagging, worrying, arguing over the finances. He did the spending while I did the saving, scrimping, and *****ing. My life changed dramatically when I decided to get my own bank account, my own credit margin, and my own responsibilities. Yeehaw! I achieved so much serenity in changing what I could.

yukonm 07-15-2014 07:19 AM

July 15

Val Says:

What made me start thinking about quitting was reading an article about a woman dying of cirrhosis of the liver. The article was written by the woman's daughter who was taking care of her sick mother. She said she never saw her mother actually drunk, but her mother drank secretly and constantly for years and years. This is how I felt about drinking. I thought I had it under control.

yukonm 07-16-2014 07:57 AM

July 16

Rover Says:

Never in my 30 years of drinking had I considered myself an alcoholic, despite going through two marriages, several homes, many auto accidents, and 53 different jobs. But listening to those Al-Anons discuss their significant others brought about a change. As they talked the thought ran through my mind that if the men they were discussing were alcoholics then surely that is what I must be. Went to an AA meeting the next night.

yukonm 07-17-2014 07:03 AM

July 17

Lorin Says:

They agreed to allow me to call the Employee Assistance folks. I called them, to ask for therapy. The woman who answered's first question was whether I drank. I said yes. She then asked how much I drank. Not wanting to disturb her, I cut my drinking in half in my answer. Imagine my shock when she immediately responded that she thought I should go into a 28-day rehab.

yukonm 07-18-2014 08:23 AM

July 18

Jack P. Says:

I learned how to live a sane and reasonably happy life from people in AA, AA literature and several excellent therapists. I am far from perfect and neither is my life, but I feel much more confident about my ability to handle my problems.

yukonm 07-19-2014 07:59 AM

July 19

Bryan Says:

So why did I stop? To state it simply, I woke up. I realized that alcohol dominated my life and that I would never be able to change that. I realized that I was driving away my wife and children and that eventually I wouldn't care. I realized that my life had no meaning -- I lived to drink and nothing else mattered. The enormity of my problem crashed in upon me like it never had before. Alcohol could no longer effectively block it out.

yukonm 07-20-2014 07:42 AM

July 20

Roselle Says:

I learned that I don't have to defend my choices towards anyone, not even my mother. That if they don't like it, it's their problem. That yes, I'd like acceptance but I don't need it from others, for I am already accepted by the One who counts. Actually two-in-one: God and myself.

yukonm 07-21-2014 07:09 AM

July 21

Bonnie Says:

I should have been happier but some spark was missing. I wanted it to be GOOD again, not just an emotionally flat merry-go-round. I really wanted to be in the game mind, body and spirit. Alcohol was keeping me from doing that. I'm very new (only 4 months) at this but it's made a big difference in the quality of my life. The numbing effect of alcohol never allowed me to experience the day to day joys.

yukonm 07-22-2014 08:11 AM

July 22

Bryan Says:

The steps have given me a connection with God like I've never had before, and as a result I'm usually at peace with myself and those around. As a result, I tend to create fewer dilemmas in my life. Before the steps could change me, I had help from other members of AA, the fellowship. I have many AA friends who can share valuable experience with me or just be there when I'm hurting. They give me hope that I can get through hard times because they've already done it.

yukonm 07-23-2014 07:29 AM

July 23

Terri F. Says:

I fought going to an AA meeting as hard as I fought (afterwards for 3 years), going into treatment. I was scared, embarrassed, beat down, and totally and completely ashamed. They call it "incomprehensible demoralization." I bet you can relate? I was frightened to death but more frightened to continue on living the way I had been.

yukonm 07-24-2014 08:29 AM

July 24

Mark R. Says:

After 13 months of sobriety, working the program, taking direction, it is amazing the changes in myself when I look back. Gone is the feeling of dread, the fear of people and social situations. I still have bad days here and there, but I know now that they pass. I would take 25 bad sober days in a row over one day filled with the dread, remorse, guilt and loneliness I used to have.

yukonm 07-25-2014 07:18 AM

July 25

Roselle Says:

I used to try to deny or excuse the things he did that hurt, but that didn't do anything to heal my hurt. When I came out with my true feelings and honestly 'told' him I was hurt and angry, he came back with his true feelings. The wrongs are never made right, but the love and forgiveness puts them in the past and out of today's 'processing memory.'

yukonm 07-26-2014 07:38 AM

July 26

Bryan Says:

The truth is that I have suffered setbacks and depression in sobriety. I've had to learn new coping skills, which takes time. But I always found that if I didn't give up, I always found the help I needed (not always what I wanted but some way to get through each difficulty sober). And even when I was depressed, I wasn't drinking and I felt good about it.

yukonm 07-27-2014 07:06 AM

July 27

Terri F. Says:

So my counselor and psychiatrist suggested I go to a meeting, and I did. I went back, the next time because I wanted to. The bottom line for me was the pain of living in the disease of Alcoholism, became greater than my FEAR of change, and so I reached out for help, and utilized all that was offered to me.

yukonm 07-28-2014 07:17 AM

July 28

Larry Says:

My shrink also sent me to AA and I felt embarrassed about going. I was okay with my friends, family, and neighbors seeing me act like a drunk, but I sure wouldn't want them to know I went to AA! I was such a wuss I took my wife with me to an open meeting. We met people we knew there, and after going through the "Oh my, I didn't want anyone I know to see me here," I realized that they were alkies too and that the second "A" in AA stands for "anonymous." I quickly became comfortable.