Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Powerless (Celebrate Recovery) (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28027)

janbear 07-30-2022 03:40 PM

Powerless (Celebrate Recovery)

Ihe routine of our daily lives often reminds us of our lack of control. We stand in a slow line at the grocery store waiting for a cashier-in -training. Our car breaks down on the way to work. We wait over a weekend to learn the results of a medical test. Our coworker got promoted, while we continue to wait for recognition.

To be continued

janbear 07-31-2022 12:33 PM

In our attempts to deal with our lack of control, we worry about the details in our lives, pretend that it just doesn't matter, or we become angry and resentful. We may isolate ourselves from other people to keep the pain at a distance. Many of us try in one way or another to control our circumstances and the people around us.

To be continued

janbear 08-04-2022 05:33 PM

Some of us are to proud to admit that certain areas of our lives have become unmanageable. This pride can undermine our faith, cut us off from God and prevent us from recognizing our own powerlessness. In this mode we refuse to allow ourselves to reach out for help.

janbear 08-11-2022 06:28 PM

Stories we encounter in the news distress us. We hear about a man who left his 3 year old son in a car when it was 35 degrees outside. The man was visiting a strip club! Outraged, we asked ourselves, Why doesn't this father get help for his struggle with sexual addiction? Meanwhile we're attempting to escape our own pain through the repeated cycle of overeating and dieting. Like the father visiting the strip club, we refuse to admit our own struggle or reach out for help.

janbear 08-14-2022 02:46 PM

By facing our powerlessness and admitting our weaknesses we invite God to step into change our lives. After hearing a testimony at a Celebrate Recovery conference, a pastor approached the speakers, saying "I want to tell you some bad news and some good news. The bad news is I've been struggling with my pride. Your testimony made it clear to me that I'm a codependent who is powerless over my issues and that I need Recovery. The good news is that I'm going back to my church to start a Celebrate Recovery program. My prayer is that our church can reach out and help people deal with their hurts hang-ups, and habits."

To be continued

janbear 08-29-2022 05:39 PM

We need to take 4 actions in order to complete Principle One:

1. Stop denying the pain. Psalm 6:2-3 describes a time in David's life when he came to the end of his emotional and physical resources: "Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am faint; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish. How long O Lord, how long?" When Davids pain finally surpassed his fear, he was able to face his denial and feel the reality of his agony. In the same way, if we want to be rid of our pain, we need to face it and work our way through it.

janbear 09-01-2022 05:24 PM

2. Stop playing God. The simple truth is that we're either going to serve God or ourselves. We can't do both. In the words of Matthew 6:24, no one can serve 2 masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or,he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You can not serve both God and money. " When our self is out of control, all our attempts at control-of ourselves or others - will fail. We need to admit that we're not God and that we're powerless without him. Then when we've finally emptied ourselves God will have room to come in and begin his healing work.

janbear 09-17-2022 03:09 PM

3. Start admitting our powerlessness. Our lust for power isn't rooted in our strengths but in our weaknesses. We need to recognize our human limitations and quit trying to resolve the issues by ourselves. We need to admit that we're powerless and be willing to turn over our lives to God. Jesus knew how difficult this would be for us to do. Matthew 19:26 sums up the situation for us, recording Jesus own words: "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

janbear 09-26-2022 09:55 PM

4. Start admitting that our lives have become unmanageable. With this admission we finally acknowledge that we are out of control and powerless to change. David shared his feelings in Psalm 40:12 "Troubles without number surround me ; my sins have overtaken me, and I can not see. They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me."