Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - September (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21331)

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:38 AM

A Prayer & Some Thoughts - September

September 1

Prayer For The Overwhelmed

Lord, I do not see a way out of the burden I feel, but I put all my faith and trust in You for a path to open up, that new opportunities and new relationships will grace my life.
Give me strength, to overcome these negative feelings and to get all the task that I have to do, completed efficiently, effectively, and on time!
Calm my mind, give me peace, as I recollect all the tasks I need to complete.
Give me patience to be still and remember that You will make all things work together for my good.
Everything that happens to me happens for a reason – to make me stronger.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Unless we discuss our defects with another person, we do not acquire enough humility, fearlessness, and honesty to really get the program. We must be entirely honest with somebody, if we expect to live happily in this world. We must be hard on ourselves, but always considerate of others. We pocket our pride and go to it, illuminating every twist of character and every dark cranny of the past. Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we can look the world in the eyes.

So ............

Have I discussed all my defects with another person?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Find My Limits

We learn about ourselves by throwing ourselves into a project, meeting an obstacle we can't overcome, perhaps making some mistakes, we learn what we are capable of and what we are not. We are not here to live a comfortable and placid life. Our task is to grow and learn, to make a contribution, and to have some tranquility while we do. The only way we can achieve those goals is to assert ourselves, find out where the solid limits are, and assert our right to make mistakes in the process.

Today, I will have opportunities to assert myself. I will take the risks required to learn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiritual Growth

When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you find in this book. Do not let any prejudice you may have against spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself what they mean to you. At the start, this was all we needed to commence spiritual growth, to effect our first conscious relation with God as we understood Him. Afterward, we found ourselves accepting many things which then seemed entirely out of reach. That was growth, but if we wished to grow we had to begin somewhere. So we used our own conception, however limited it was.

We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 47

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"It does not matter how much money you have or how long you are spending on the earth. Matters the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in your life." ~~ Amit Ray Read

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:40 AM

September 2

Prayer When Frustrated & Overwhelmed

Lord,
Life can be so overwhelming at times, frustration has gotten the better of me today. I feel as though I am weary but there is yet so much to do and there seems to be so little time. My workload seems to be growing; the demands on me from everyone are just simply too much for me today, it’s too overwhelming. My energy is drained and I feel as though I am losing hope, that this life would not get any easier.

Give me strength, Lord, to overcome these negative feelings and to get all the tasks that I have to do. That they be completed, efficiently and effectively, and on time!
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

If we are still clinging to something that we will not let go, we must sincerely ask God to help us to be willing to let even that go, too. We cannot divide our lives into compartments and keep some for ourselves. We must give all the compartments to God. We must say: 'My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my friends.

So ............

Am I still clinging to something that I will not let go?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Honesty

Our lies to ourselves kept us so fully in the dark. We sometimes told "sincere" lies because we honestly did not distinguish the truth within ourselves. For so long we had preferred dishonest rationalizations, and we had come to believe them.

We slowly cleanse ourselves of the lies that we told ourselves. With this kind of honesty comes an inner peace with ourselves, and we can say, "I know myself."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tolerance

For countless reasons, people with drinking problems blunder into conflicts with others. It's not unusual to hear that a person has not spoken to a relative for years as a result of some foolish misunderstanding.

The key to peace in our lives is the slogan: "Live and Let Live." If we reflect on this slogan a bit, we want to live freely, and we ought to let others choose their lifestyles without interference from us. After all, if there was anything we alcoholics resented, it was the busybody who tried to shape our lives for us.

Nobody has the competence or understanding to tell us how we should live, nor should we try to control other people.

~~ Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just a Quote

"Forget perfect on the first try. In the face of frustration, your best tool is a few deep breaths, and remembering that you can do anything once you've practiced two hundred times. Seriously." ~~ Andrea Buchanan

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:40 AM

September 3

Prayer to Clear My Mind

Clear my mind of doubt, fear, worry, sadness, despair, lust, temptation, envy, jealousy, malice, pride and anything that stops me from becoming a better person daily. Give me the strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Procrastination – is not acting when the time is right - is a self-defeating behavior. It produces anxiety, guilt, disharmony, and a nagging consciousness of the task that life is telling us it's time to do.

Is there something in your life you are avoiding because you don't want to face it? Is there a building anxiety from putting this off?

So ............

Trust and listen to yourself, your Higher Power. Watch for signs and signals. If it is time to do something, do it now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Acceptance is not submission

Powerlessly watching our lives go by was common for many of us, and our feelings of powerlessness escalated the more idle we were.

The courage to take action, to make decisions that will benefit us as well as the people who are close to us, is a gift of recovery. Also, courage to accept what we cannot change, believing that all will be well, courage to change in ourselves what we do have control over, is a by product of our spiritual progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surrender

On the face of it, surrendering certainly does not seem like winning. But it is in AA

Only after we have come to the end of our rope, hit a stone wall in some aspect of our lives beyond which we can go no further; only when we hit "bottom" in despair and surrender, can we accomplish sobriety which we could never accomplish before.
We must, and we do, surrender in order to win.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 2nd Edition, pp. 341-2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When someone tries to trigger you by insulting you or by doing or saying something that irritates you, take a deep breath and switch off your ego. Remember that if you are easily offended, you are easily manipulated.” ~~ Mitra Phukan

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:41 AM

September 4

Simple Morning Prayer

God, please enlighten my mind with truth, inflame my heart with love, inspire my will with courage, enrich my life with service.
Pardon what I have been, sanctify what I am, and order what I shall be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We must continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. We should grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter; it should continue for our lifetime. Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We must not rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve, contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.

So ............

Am I checking my spiritual condition daily?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Happiness is a by-product of love and service

A life of power and joy and satisfaction is built on love and service. Persons who hate or are selfish are going against the law of their own being. They are cutting themselves off from God and other people. Little acts of love and encouragement, of service and help, erase the rough places of life and help to make the path smooth. If we do these things, we cannot help having our share of happiness.

I pray that I may not grow weary in my attempts to do the right thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leisure
by W. H. Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty’s glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Happiness is a choice, a repetitive one.” ~~ Akilnathan Logeswaran

“Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.” ~~ Gordon B. Hinckley

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:41 AM

September 5

Prayer For Alcoholic Anonymous

Lord, thank You for all those that are involved in helping others with their addiction to alcohol. We thank You for places like Alcoholic Anonymous and the many other places that are dedicated to helping men and women recover from this debilitating and distressing addiction.

Give wisdom, grace and patience to all that are serving in one capacity or another to relieve the distress and devastation that alcoholism leaves in it wake. We pray that You would give them the right words of encouragement and advice to enable those that are addicted to permanently break free of their alcoholism and so live a more meaningful and fruitful life

We pray that You would not only rescue alcoholic men and women from the depths of despair to which many have fallen, but also that bring them into newness of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We cannot get along without prayer and meditation. On awakening, let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking. Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when we start the day with prayer and meditation. We conclude this period of meditation with a prayer that we will be shown through the day what our next step is to be. The basis of all our prayers is: Thy will be done in me and through me today.

So ............

Am I sincere in my desire to do God's will today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Choose the right way

God has given us two things - His spirit and the power of choice - to accept or not, as we will. We have the gift of free will. When we choose the path of selfishness and greed and pride, we are refusing to accept God's spirit. When we choose the path of love and service, we accept God's spirit and it flows into us and makes all things new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Healing Contact

Sometimes we become overburdened with frustration and disappointment in our lives. When we turn inward and focus only on our problems, we may be cutting ourselves off from the healing effect of contact with others.

When we help others, we affirm our solidarity with them in their stress and suffering. We don't give help because we are better or without problems of our own, but because we suffer too. When we act as fellowmen/women, the comradeship and human contact we get provide us with as much help as we give. They liberate us from our own oppressive egos and make us see we are worthwhile.

~~ Peter Benton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Take life one day at a time. There's no need to finish everything all at once. Avoid a hectic day and just breathe." ~~ 12-Step Sayings for Everyone (Guideposts)

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:43 AM

September 6

Accepting Others Prayer

Lord, it's sometimes hard for me to understand or accept or love those who are different from me. I find myself wanting to change them, so that they fit my accepted patterns. I know that the difference between us need not separate us, but my lack of understanding makes me want to stay within the safety of my own perceptions rather than embrace what seems foreign. Give me curiosity of mind so that I am open to the perspectives that others can offer me. Help me see the similarities that bind us together.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We live in an age of information. The technological tools have put us into a mode of speed—we actually start trying to approach the soaking up of information at a rate similar to a computer processing data. In such a fast-paced environment the slow savoring of ideas and concepts has gotten lost in the push for quickness and efficiency.

The practice of spiritual reading is one way to regain a more balanced and meaningful interaction with the world around us. It can help us slow down so that information is allowed to seep unhurriedly into our heart, our mind, our soul, where it can be turned over. This action of slowing our intake of information helps us slacken our pace as we walk through the world without—and the world within.

So ............

Am I using a form of meditation and reflection that calms a thumping heart to a gentle and silent beat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accepting Our Best

We will do our best for the moment. If we have to redo it, we can do our best in another moment, later. There comes a time when we feel we have done our best.

God, help me stop criticizing myself so I can start appreciating how far I've come.
Today, I will do my best, and then let it go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Justified Resentments

One of the greatest hurdles in sobriety is the so-called justified resentment. We feel that we have a right to be angry at somebody who has hurt or offended us. This feeling might be correct if our anger could remedy the matter and bring it to a just conclusion, but this hardly ever happens. If we are angry, we usually want revenge more than we want justice. Uncontrolled anger will make us behave as unjustly as those who harmed us did. This means more trouble. Whether revenge is sought or not, anger also poisons our own lives.

We can deal with "justified resentment" by reminding ourselves that there's no justification for the pain and sickness a festering resentment will cause in our lives. There is no justified resentment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“I live on a ship full of outcasts, populated by society's unacceptable. And yet, here I stand, happy. And I love them all. It is time to tender myself the same level of courtesy. Or perhaps it is time that I simply accepted that I too am one of the strange and abandoned.” ~~ Gail Carriger

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:44 AM

September 7

A Prayer For Purpose

Lord, at times my days run together into weeks, into months, into years without any conscious thought on my part. Then, suddenly, I come to myself in the space of a moment and realize how unaware and without purpose I have been. Yet, when I try to define my purpose, it seems strangely elusive. I ask that you will give me clarity of purpose; that you will reveal to me my own reason for existence; that you will give me the sure and certain assurance that even when I have lost track of myself and my life, your purpose, though unknown to me or forgotten by me, is still being lived out through me. I ask this for this charity.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

There are just two kinds of people in the world: givers and takers. Those of us who are givers delight in it. But sometimes we givers are uncomfortable when we're on the receiving end. We brush off thanks and gifts and help, even when they're needed or deserved.

Those of us who are takers, on the other hand, know how to receive graciously what others have to give; we know how to ask for what we need. Often, however, we don't know how to give.

We can all strive to become traders, people who have learned how to both give and receive. We each have the capacity to give what we have freely and to ask, gratefully, for what we don't have.

So ............

What can I give and take today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Garbage in, Garbage Out

One thing we don't need in our lives is garbage from the past. Yet many of us say that old thoughts and bitter memories often sneak devilishly back to spoil what should have been a pleasant day. Why do we let garbage from the past befoul our lives a second time?

There is no benefit in bringing back old garbage. We can't change the past. We can't change our mistakes by brooding about them, and we can't obtain justice by remembering how badly we were treated or by plotting revenge. When we bring back garbage, we allow it to occupy space that should be devoted to constructive and positive things.
If we don't want garbage in our lives, let's not put it there by bringing up matters that should have been released, forgiven, and forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Accountability

In the early days of his drinking, the alcoholic is often guilty of
irresponsibility. But once the time of compulsive drinking has arrived,
he can't very well be held fully accountable for his conduct. He then
has an obsession that condemns him to drink. and a bodily sensitivity to
alcohol that guarantees his final madness and death.

But when he is made aware of this condition, he is under pressure to
accept A.A.'s program of moral regeneration.

"As Bill See It" Page 32

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

"Maintaining sobriety is like feeding a parking meter. It's all about change." ~~ unknown

"Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one." ~~ Hans Selye

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:44 AM

September 8

A Troubled Mind Prayer

Dear Lord,

Calm my troubled mind
Still my worried heart
Guide my endless thoughts
Come and leave your mark.

Shelter my tired body
Lift my heavy soul
Quiet my deepest fears
Come and make me whole.

Carry my deepest hurt
Cover my open wounds
Restore my abandoned dreams
Come and hold my life.

Open my ears to hear
Shower my life with praise
Full up my thoughts with truth
Stay by me every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Sometimes we want to get what we want right away. But some things take time. We might have lessons to learn first, lessons that prepare us so we can accept the good. Be patient, Relax and trust. Let go.

Today, I will identify what I want and need; then, I'll be willing to let go of it. I will devote my energy to living my life today, so I may master my lessons as quickly as possible. I will trust that what I want and need is coming to me.

So ............

I will let go of my need to control the details.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

What most of us want is to be heard

If we want attention, we must also give it. That means letting go of all extraneous thoughts when we're in conversation with someone. We cannot expect to get from others what we are unable or unwilling to give.

The beauty of hearing each other is that it helps us to hear ourselves. We know better who we are when we listen to one another. Every conversation offers us a chance to be real, to help another person be real.

Attention is a gift. If I want to receive it, I must give it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H.A.L.T.

H.A.L.T. stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. These feelings can be danger to us. They can lead us away from our program. We need to eat regular meals. When we get too hungry, we get cranky. Then we say and do things we regret. We need to turn anger over to our Higher Power, or else our anger turns into rage. We need friends to help us in recovery. If we get to lonely, we may turn our addictive way for friendship. We don't stay sober by ourselves. We need a clear mind to deal with life. If we get too tried, we tend to feel sorry for ourselves. Being tired get us into crazy thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

"He who knows the precepts by heart, but fails to practice them, Is like unto one who lights a lamp and then shuts his eyes." ~~ Akkineni Nagarjuna

"Listen or thy tongue will keep thee deaf." ~~ American Indian Proverb

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:45 AM

September 9

A Prayer for a Good Day

Lord,
I pray, that You will help me have a good day today, despite my changing circumstances. Give me the wisdom and discernment to know how I can help someone or reach out to someone who is hurting. Help me be a good part of someone else’s day, and encourage me to think of others before myself. And at the end of this day, remind me to thank You for every blessing You have given me. May I always take delight in every small or large blessing.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Outline the program of action to new prospects, explaining how you made a self appraisal, how you straightened out your past, and why you are now endeavoring to help them. It is important for them to realize that your attempt to pass this on to them plays a vital part in your own recovery. The more hopeless they feel, the better. They will be more likely to follow your suggestions. Tell them about the fellowship of A.A. and if they show interest, lend them a copy of the Big Book

So ............

Can I tell the A.A. story to another alcoholic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

We take our failures non-seriously

Perfectionism and its control over our lives stands seriously in the way of our growth and well-being, emotionally, spiritually, and even physically. Life's lessons come through failures probably more than successes. Through our failures we learn humility. We learn to look to others for help and guidance. We learn how to let others fail, too. We fail because we are human.

When we no longer fear failure, we are free to attempt greater feats. We dare to learn more, and life is fuller for it--not just our own lives, but the lives that we touch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not Allied With Any Sect

While A.A. has restored thousands of poor Christians to their
churches, and has made believers out of atheists and agnostics, it has
also made good A.A.'s out of those belonging to the Buddhist, Islamic,
and Jewish faiths. For example, we question very much whether our
Buddhist members in Japan would ever have joined this Society had
A.A. officially stamped itself a strictly Christian movement.

You can easily convince yourself of this by imagining that A.A. started
among the Buddhists and that they then told you you couldn't join them
unless you became a Buddhist, too. If you were a Christian alcoholic
under these circumstances, you might well turn your face to the wall and
die.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 34

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never be fulfilled. If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy with yourself. Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” ~~ Lao Tzu

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:45 AM

September 10

Prayer for Contentment

Lord,
I pray for Contentment.
Help me to stay positive even when it feels like my world is falling apart.
Help me to see blessings, even in my burdens
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Coping with problems and weathering troubled times - is part of life. Those of us who have survived painful experiences have a duty to help younger ones prepare to face bad times by sharing the solutions we found.

We will never have perfect living conditions. The only place where every day is a sunny one is in the desert. When pain comes, we can walk through our problems and settle things quickly, rather than prolonging the hurt by battling our way around the obstacles in an effort to avoid them.

So ............

What problem can I confront and eliminate today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Honesty

Sometimes we think that honesty is simply too painful and demanding---- all sacrifice with no gain. If we are completely honest with ourselves, however, the results can only be positive.What are the advantages of being entirely honest about our motives and feelings? One benefit is that we never will have to face the disillusionment and humiliation that come from self-deception.

The honest person has self-respect and a clear conscious. In real honesty, there is no inner struggle to keep up appearances or to pretend we are anybody except ourselves. Honesty makes us comfortable rather than pained, relaxed rather than anxious, and decisive rather than confused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Practice These Principles

Step Twelve - "Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

In Step Eight, we continued our housecleaning, for we saw that we were not only in conflict with ourselves, but also with people and situations in the world in which we lived. We had to begin to make our peace, and so we listed the people we had harmed and became willing to set things right. We followed this up in Step Nine by making direct amends to those concerned, except when it would injure them or other people. By this time, at Step Ten, we had begun to get a basis for daily living, and we keenly realized that we would need to continue taking personal inventory, and that when we were in the wrong we ought to admit it promptly. In Step Eleven we saw that if a Higher Power had restored us to sanity and had enabled us to live with some peace of mind in a sorely troubled world, then such a Higher Power was worth knowing better, by as direct contact as possible. The persistent use of meditation and prayer, we found, did open the channel so that where there had been a trickle, there now was a river which led to sure power and safe guidance from God as we were increasingly better able to understand Him.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 108-109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Storms make trees take deeper roots." ~~ Claude McDonald

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:48 AM

September 11
Prayer of Gratitude

Lord, thank you for the blessings you have bestowed on my life. You have surrounded me with people who always look out for me. You have given me family and friends who bless me every day with kind words and actions. They lift me up in many ways.

Also, thank you, Lord, for keeping me safe. You help me make better choices, and you have provided me with advisors that help me with the difficult decisions. You speak to me in so many ways.

And Lord, I am so grateful to you, for keeping those around me safe and loved. I hope that you provide me with the ability and sense to show them every day how much they matter. I hope that you give me the ability to give to them the same kindness they have provided to me. I am just so grateful for all of your blessings in my life, Lord. I pray that you remind me of just how lucky I am, and that you never allow me to forget to show my gratitude in prayer and returned kind acts.
Amen

~~ Kelli Mahoney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We must be careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an institution. Experience shows that such an attitude is not helpful to anyone. We are not fanatics or intolerant of people who can drink normally. Prospects are relieved when they find we are not witch burners. Temperate drinking is okay, but we alcoholics can't get away with it. And no alcoholic likes to be told about alcohol by anyone who hates it. We shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility.

So ............

Do I have tolerance for those who can drink normally?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Petty Annoyances

Do not become encumbered by petty annoyances. Never respond to emotional upsets by emotional upset. Try to keep calm in all circumstances. Try not to fight back. Call on the grace of God to calm you when you feel like retaliating. Look to God for the inner strength to drop those resentments that drag you down. If you are burdened by annoyances, you will lose your inward peace and the spirit of God will be shut out. Try to keep peaceful within.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Long View

One thing we learn in A.A. is to take a long view of drinking instead of a short view. When we were drinking we thought more about the pleasure or release that a drink would give us, than we did about the consequences which would result from our taking that drink. Liquor looks good from the short view. When we look in a package store window, we see liquor dressed up in its best wrappings, with fancy labels and decorations. They look swell. But have I learned that what's inside those beautiful bottles is just plain poison to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Where humility formerly stood for a forced feeding on humble pie, it now begins to mean the nourishing ingredient that can give us serenity.” ~~ Bill W.

September 12

Prayer for Wisdom

In everything we do, Lord, give us a desire to seek out the truth;
give us a willingness to heed the advice of others;
give us wisdom in reaching decisions;
give us faith to believe in our conclusions;
give us courage to put our ideas to the test;
and, if we prove ourselves wrong, give us the grace to admit it.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"First Things First."

This means that we should always keep in mind that alcohol is our number one problem. We must never let any other problem; whether of family, business, friends, or anything else take precedence in our minds over our alcoholic problem. As we go along in A.A., we learn to recognize the things that may upset us emotionally. When we find ourselves getting upset over something, we must realize that it's a luxury we alcoholics can't afford. Anything that makes us forget our number one problem is dangerous to us.

So ............

Am I keeping sobriety in first place in my mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

View of Competition

Although competitiveness can be a good quality, we've seen it become very ugly and destructive. A few like the excitement of competition, but many of us withdraw from it. We hate anything that includes the risk of defeat or might make us appear second best. Sometimes we even feel guilty in winning.

There is a kind of competition that does pay off …… competition with ourselves. We can try to be better people than we might have been yesterday, or a week ago, or a month ago. This kind of competition requires skill and stamina, and it also requires exercise and training. But anybody who sincerely seeks a spiritual life and true self-improvement can find it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most Important Thing

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life.
The most important decision I ever made was my decision
to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life
depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the
world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything
I have, my whole life depends on that one thing. Can I afford
ever to forget this, even for one minute?

~~ Richmond Walker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Nothing is interesting, if you are not interested." ~~ Helen MacInnes

September 13

God's Happiness in Me

Dear God, I pray for happiness.
I pray that I have a cheerful heart.
I pray that others are drawn to my happy smile, my positive attitude, and my face that shines with joy.
Dear God, I know that you have created me and everyone else to be happy, to find joy and laughter in the different stages and experiences of life.
I pray that I express You in my expression of joy.
A cheerful heart is a continual feast.
My outlook is positive, and I feel happy.
My life is a banquet of uplifting experiences.
I feel so good as I release the joy of God from within.
I express God's eternal, loving presence within me.
I pray, daily, that my cheerful heart up lifts me, and brings joy to everyone around me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"Live and Let Live."

This, of course, means tolerance of people who think differently than we do, whether they are in A.A. or outside of A.A. We cannot afford the luxury of being intolerant or critical of other people. We do not try to impose our wills on those who differ from us. We are not "holier than thou." We do not have all the answers. We are not better than other good people. We live the best way we can and we allow others to do likewise.

So ............

Am I willing to live and let live?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

What surprises lie in wait for us today

We may look forward, not just to the expected, but to the unexpected. Whom shall we meet? What will we see? What will we learn? How will we be entertained? What changes to help others will come our way? What chances to love and be loved?

Now that our eyes are opened to today's beauty, let us remain alert for new sights. Let us cry when sad, smile when touched, and laugh at what is funny in a whole new lifetime before us.

What can I be thankful for today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thankful

The family must realize that dad, though marvelously improved, is still convalescing. They should be thankful he is sober and able to be of this world once more. Let them praise his progress. Let them remember that his drinking wrought all kinds of damage that may take long to repair. If they sense these things, they will not take so seriously his periods of crankiness, depression, or apathy, which will disappear when there is tolerance, love, and spiritual understanding.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 127

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.” ~~ John F. Kennedy

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:49 AM

September 14

A Prayer for Today

Lord,
Just for this day,
Help me to understand and do your will.
Allow me the strength to face and overcome stressful situations.
Please give my family and friends the same strength, this day.
Let me try to help another human being, like I was helped.
Allow me the willingness to look for the good and serenity to accept the bad.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

God's Timetable

We have probably heard many times at meetings that God's timetable is not necessarily the same as our timetable. That events will happen as scheduled to fit a picture bigger than the picture encompassed by our egos. And frequently our patience wears thin because we aren't privy to God's timetable. But we can trust, today and always, that doors open on time. Opportunities are offered when we are ready for them. Nary a moment passes that doesn't invite us to both give and receive a special message--a particular lesson. We are always in God's care, and every circumstance of our lives is helping to mold the person we are meant to be.

So ............

Will I take a long look at where I am today and be grateful for my place?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Humility

Humility is the quality of being humble and means putting the needs of another person before your own, and thinking of others before yourself. It also means not drawing attention to yourself, and it can mean acknowledging that you are not always right.

To cultivate humility: Spend time listening to others, Practice mindfulness and focus on the present, Be grateful for what you have, Ask for help when you need it, Seek feedback from others on a regular basis, Review your actions against the language of pride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newcomer Problems

You can't make a horse drink water if he still prefers beer or is too
crazy to know what he does want. Set a pail of water beside him, tell
him how good it is and why, and leave him alone.

If people really want to get drunk, there is, so far as I know, no way
stopping this--so leave them alone and let them get drunk. But don't
exclude them from the water pail, either.

As Bill Sees It Page 14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“We are willing to turn our lives over to the care of God, as each of us understands Him. As we let ourselves be led hour-by-hour and day-by-day, our lives fall into place, and we are given inner joy and serenity.” ~~ John W., San Antonio, TX

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:49 AM

September 15

A Patience Prayer

Dear God, I pray that I am patient
every moment of this day with myself
and with everyone around me. I am patient in traffic.
I am patient in the workplace and with my co-workers.
I am patient with the world when I hear
the news on radio or TV.
I am patient at home with my spouse and loved ones.
I am a patient person, because I have a patient God.
God is patient with me. Therefore,
I am patient with all those around me
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Recovery is a process.The Twelve Steps provide the foundation to support our growth as healthy, productive men and women. Each Step must be carefully and honestly worked, or the whole foundation will be weakened

Not only can we discover who we are, now, but also we can change, nurture those traits that we favor, diminish those that attract trouble. My actions today are the key. They tell who I am at this moment. Who I become is up to me. I will work each Step and reflect before I move ahead. The strength of my foundation depends on it.

So ............

I am building my foundation?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Growth

In our spiritual growth, one of our movements is from passive to active, from helpless to responsive.

Our Higher Power speaks to us in a quiet, subtle voice, which can easily be ignored until we learn to listen. It takes courage to listen to this inner voice. When we listen, we develop a relationship that is a strong force moving us into recovery. We are still powerless over many things, but we can make active choices in how we will grow and how we will respond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understanding & Approval

The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself. As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval. Momentarily we did - then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen - Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. Unhappy drinkers who read this page will understand!

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 151

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” ~~ Frank A. Clark