Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - March (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26170)

bluidkiti 03-01-2022 06:14 AM

A Prayer & Some Thoughts - March

March 1

A Prayer Today

Lord,
Forgive me where I have been resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid.

Help me to not keep anything to myself but to discuss it all openly with another person – show me where I owe an apology and help me make it.
Help me to be kind and loving to all people.
Lord, Use me in the mainstream of life.
Free me of worry, remorse or morbid reflections that I may be of usefulness to others.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

I have real friends where I had none before.

My drinking companions could hardly be called my real friends, though when drunk we seemed to have the closest kind of friendship. My idea of friendship has changed. Friends are no longer people whom I can use for my own pleasure or profit. Friends are now people who understand me and I them, whom I can help and who can help me to live a better life. I have learned not to hold back and wait for friends to come to me, but to go halfway and to be met halfway, openly and freely.

So ............

Does friendship have a new meaning for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accent on the Present

We are/were often obsessed with the past. We would rehash old hurts and resentments, old fears and desires. Our dreams, along with our waking hours, may have been filled with people from our past.

Such preoccupation with the past prevented us from focusing on the present. If we are to be alive in the present, we need to let go of the past. What is over is over and cannot be replayed except in our minds.

What we can do is turn our memories over to our Higher Power for healing. The creative Spirit, which is not bound by time, can take away old hurts and resentments. Then we are free to deal with the present and concentrate on doing God's will for us now, today. Living in the present keeps us in touch with God, who restores us to sanity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Past

Showing others who suffer how we were given help is the very thing which makes life seem so worthwhile to us now. Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have-- the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 124

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve” done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!” ~ Steve Maraboli

bluidkiti 03-02-2022 06:26 AM

March 2

A Fellowship Prayer

God,
I pray for the hurting; for those still living in their misery.
I pray for those whose lives have been impacted by the disastrous touch of addiction;
for the families torn apart and especially for the children left to wonder and grieve.
God, give them your peace and guide them gently through this next twenty-four hours.
Amen

~ C.L.Murphy 2014

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What a load wasting money puts on your shoulders!

It's been said that members of A.A. have paid the highest initiation fee of any club members in the world, because we've wasted so much money on liquor. We'll never be able to figure out how much it was. We not only wasted our own money, but also the money we should have spent on our families. When you come into A.A., that terrible load of wasted money falls off your shoulders. We alcoholics were getting round-shouldered from carrying all those loads that drinking put on our shoulders. But when we come into A.A., we get a wonderful feeling of release and freedom.

So ............

Can I throw back my shoulders and look the whole world in the face again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Irresponsibility

Irresponsible behavior is not unfamiliar to us. Passivity is equally familiar. In the past, excusing ourselves of all responsibility prevented us from being blamed. We have learned that it also prevented us from feeling worthy, from fulfilling our potential, from feeling the excitement that comes with achievement.

Our fear of failure helped us to be irresponsible. We may still fear failure, but the program offers us an antidote. We can't fail if we have turned our lives over to our higher power. We will be shown the way to proceed. Our fellow travelers have messages for us that will smooth our path.

I will celebrate that I am taking responsibility for my life today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More than Comfort

When I am feeling depressed, I repeat to myself statements such as these: "Pain is the touchstone of progress." . . . "Fear no evil." . . . "This, too, will pass." . . . "This experience can be turned to benefit."

These fragments of prayer bring far more than mere comfort. They keep me on the track of right acceptance; they break up my compulsive themes of guilt, depression, rebellion, and pride; and sometimes they endow me with the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

As Bill Sees It Page 148

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"I use my own greatest defeat and failure and sickness as a weapon to help others." ~ Richmond Walker

bluidkiti 03-03-2022 06:21 AM

March 3

Prayer in Time of Trouble

Lord,
In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations, Lord, help me.
In hours of loneliness, weariness, and trials, Lord, help me.
In the failure of my plans and hopes; in disappointments, troubles, and sorrows, Lord, help me.
When others fail me and Your grace alone can assist me, help me.
When my heart is cast down by failure at seeing no good come from my efforts, Lord, help me.
When I feel impatient and irritable, Lord, help me.
When I am ill and my head and hands cannot work and I am lonely, Lord, help me.
Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls, and shortcomings of every kind, Lord, help me.
Lord, in every need let me come to You with humble trust saying, "Lord, help me."

Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought
Getting sober was a long and painful journey, but we can truthfully say it was worth it.

We know now that all we've been through led us to A.A. and was part of our spiritual journey. We found it in A.A. what we had been vainly seeking in the bottle. We've learned that our journey goes on as we continue to deal with our shortcomings and the human problems everybody must face. And when we reach a crossroads or a roadblock, we know that our Higher Power will come to our aid in making the right choices and surmounting all obstacles.

So ............

Do I turn to my Higher Power to sustain me as I continue the spiritual journey that brought me to A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Understanding Life

Why do bad things happen?
No one has been able to explain why pain and misfortune must be part of the human condition. Bad things can and do happen to everybody, and sometimes there's no way to explain it. Even in sobriety, AA members have misfortunes---times when it appears that God is hiding. We even hear members share such experiences at meetings.

Many of us have found ways to use misfortunes constructively, however, by seeing how the program helps us deal with it. In some cases---but not all---we even learn that a misfortune was a disguised blessing.

Most importantly, by using the program, we are eliminating the drinking that has been the cause of many misfortunes in our lives. That alone makes our immediate world a much better place for everyone.

My life today can be both easy and hard. It gives me great comfort to know that I am not making conditions worse for myself and others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiritual Experience

A "spiritual experience" to me meant attending meetings, seeing a group of people, all there for the purpose of helping each other; hearing the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions read at a meeting, and hearing the Lord's Prayer, which in an AA meeting has such great meaning -- "Thy will be done, not mine." A spiritual awakening soon came to mean trying each day to be a little more thoughtful, more considerate, a little more courteous to those with whom I came in contact.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition Page 356

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Who do you spend time with? Criticizers or encouragers? Surround yourself with those who believe in you. Your life is too important for anything less.” ~ Steve Goodier

“Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better.” ~ Walt Disney

bluidkiti 03-04-2022 05:07 AM

March 4

Guidance Prayer

Lord,
You have guided me this far and have watched out for me in tough times and dark places.
Lord you blessed me with an intelligent mind, great spirit and a strong body, help me to use these attributes
to do well for others and make a positive influence in this life that you have given me.
Grant me success and confidence in all I do.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Drinking cuts you off from God and other people.

No matter how you were brought up, no matter what your religion is, no matter if you say you believe in God, nevertheless you build up a wall between you and God by your drinking. You know you're not living the way God wants you to. As a result, you have that terrible remorse. When you come into A.A., you begin to get right with other people and with God. A sober life is a happy life, because by giving up drinking, we've got rid of our loneliness and remorse.

So ............

Do I have real fellowship with other people and with God?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Going with the Flow

Going with the flow doesn’t mean that we don’t know where we’re going; it means that we are open to multiple ways of getting there. We are also open to changing our destination, clinging more to the essence of our goal than to the particulars. We acknowledge that letting go and modifying our plans is part of the process. Going with the flow means that we are aware of an energy that is larger than our small selves and we are open to working with it, not against it.

Many of us are afraid of going with the flow because we don’t trust that we will get where we want to go if we do. This causes us to cling to plans that aren’t working, stick to routes that are obstructed, and obsess over relationships that aren’t fulfilling. When you find yourself stuck in these kinds of patterns, do yourself a favor and open to the flow of what is rather than resisting it. Trust that the big river of your life has a plan for you and let it carry you onward. Throw overboard those things that are weighing you down. Be open to revising your maps. Take a deep breath and move into the current.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sponsorship

Dr. Bob led me through all of these Steps. At the moral inventory, he brought up some of my bad personality traits or character defects, such as selfishness, conceit, jealousy, carelessness, intolerance, ill-temper, sarcasm and resentments. We went over these at great length and then he finally asked me if I wanted these defects of character taken away. When I said yes, we both knelt at his desk and prayed . . . If I live to be a hundred, this will always stand out in my mind. I wish that every AA could have the benefit of this type of sponsorship today.

Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 292 (3rd Edition)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” ~ Joseph Campbell

bluidkiti 03-05-2022 06:24 AM

March 5

Grace For Today Prayer

Lord, give me the grace for today.
Before me, the day looms with great possibilities and even greater challenges.
I put it all in your hands.
Help me to embrace every challenge,
to be open to all you have to give and to see all as an opportunity.
One moment at a time. One person at a time. One gift at a time.
Help me to breathe in your Spirit and to exhale any fear that may cause me to question and to worry.
The world causes stress. You offer peace.
I choose you!
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Getting a real kick out of life.

We got a kick out of the first few drinks, before we got stupefied by alcohol. For a while, the world seemed to look brighter. But how about the letdown, the terrible depression that comes the morning after? In A.A., we get a real kick: not a false feeling of exhilaration, but a real feeling of satisfaction with ourselves, self respect, and a feeling of friendliness toward the world. We got a sort of pleasure from drinking. For a while we thought we were happy. But it's only an illusion. The hang over the next day is the opposite of pleasure.

So ............

In A.A., am I getting real pleasure and serenity and peace?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear & Faith

We all experience fear. Sometimes we fear small things that only seem large at the time, like a test in school, or meeting a new boss, or going to the dentist. Sometimes we fear big things like serious illness or death, or that someone we love will come to harm. Fear is healthy, and we all feel it. It keeps us from doing foolish things sometimes, but too much fear can also keep us from doing what we need for our growth.

If we have faith in God and in ourselves, we can turn and face whatever frightens us, believing we can, with help, do what seems impossible. And we will, and the fear will vanish. The important first step in dealing with fear is to take action--either by tackling what we fear ourselves, or by asking for help. Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happiness

I feel myself a useful member of the human race at last. I have something to contribute to humanity, since I am peculiarly qualified, as a fellow-sufferer, to give aid and comfort to those who have stumbled and fallen over this business of meeting life. I get my greatest thrill of accomplishment from the knowledge that I have played a part in the new happiness achieved by countless others like myself.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 229 (3rd Edition)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Don’t let fear or insecurity stop you from trying new things. Believe in yourself. Do what you love. And most importantly, be kind to others, even if you don’t like them." ~ Stacy London

bluidkiti 03-06-2022 06:27 AM

March 6

Prayer For Right Choice

Dear God,
I know that You can open doors that no man can ever shut.
It’s not always easy for me to see and sense the direction I need to take.
So today, I trust and ask You to lead me to open doors of opportunity that you have prepared for me.
Help me make sense of the options that lay before me and help me see and make the right choices today.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Since I've been in A.A., have I made a start toward becoming more loving to my family and friends?

Do I visit my parents? Am I more appreciative of my spouse than I was before? Am I grateful to my family for having put up with me? Have I found real understanding with my children? Do I feel that the friends I've found in A.A. are real friends? Do I believe that they are always ready to help me and do I want to help them if I can?

So ............

Do I really care now about other people?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear of Giving

It is often the fear of rejection, which makes us afraid to give of ourselves. If our self-image is too grand and inflated, we cannot possibly live up to it in reality. Expecting ourselves to be perfect sets us up for frustration and fear, since we know deep down that we do not measure up to our image of perfection.

By focusing more on the needs of others and less on the imaginary concept of ourselves, which is our ego, we learn to overcome our fear of giving. With humility comes the willingness to give of what we have and what we are right now, without waiting until we are more eloquent or more accomplished. I should not be afraid to give of myself to others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willingness

All we need is a key, and the decision to swing the door open. There is only one key, and it is called willingness. Once unlocked by willingness, the door opens almost of itself, and looking through it, we shall see an inscription. It reads: "This is the way to a faith that works."

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 34

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We cannot lead a choice less life. Every day, every moment, every second, there is a choice. If it were not so, we would not be an individuals." ~ Ernest Holmes

bluidkiti 03-07-2022 06:17 AM

March 7

Just for Today Prayer

Just for today, help me, God, to remember that my life is a gift, that my health is a blessing, that this new day is filled with awesome potential, that I have the capacity to bring something wholly new and unique and good into this world.

Just for today, help me, God, to remember to be kind and patient to the people who love me, and to those who work with me too. Teach me to see all the beauty that I so often ignore, and to listen to the silent longing of my own soul.

Let this be a good day, God, full of joy and love.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

By drinking, we escaped from boredom for a while and almost forgot our troubles.

But when we sobered up, our troubles were twice as bad. Drinking had only made them worse. In A.A., we really escape boredom. Nobody's bored at an A.A. meeting. We stick around after it's over and we hate to leave. Drinking gave us a temporary feeling of importance. When we're drinking, we kid ourselves into thinking we are somebody. We tell tall stories to build ourselves up. In A.A., we don't want that kind of self-importance. We have real self-respect and honesty and humility.

So ............

Have I found something much better and more satisfactory than drinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Fear

Fear is a killer. It is a killer because it drains us of life, energy and creativity. Fear petrifies the human spirit.

I spent a lot of yesterdays afraid. Afraid of people finding out. Afraid of the telephone. Afraid of where it would all end. Afraid of me! I did not realize that I was feeding the fear with my behavior. I drank myself into fear. The day I stopped drinking alcohol was the day I stopped giving energy to my fear.

Today I live my life without abnormal or unrealistic fears. Today I enjoy my life. I work through my problems. I am not afraid of my shadow. Today I love me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Consistency

What right do I have to expect perfection and efficiency in my spiritual growth when the rest of my life is so full of ups and downs, ins and outs, and backs and forths? Throughout this whole adventure, the only consistency I have maintained is an absolute and total faith in AA, come what may.

The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1], Page 187

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When you make a mistake, there are only three things you should ever do about it: admit it, learn from it, and don’t repeat it.” ~ Paul Bear Bryant

bluidkiti 03-08-2022 06:00 AM

March 8

Prayer for Strength

Lord, I’m struggling with Life.
My heart is weighed down with anxiety, frustration, anger and fear.
Please help me turn this over to you. I can’t fix it.
I want to trust you to handle it.
Give me the strength to let go and accept the outcome, whatever it may be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

One thing we learn in A.A. is to take a long view of drinking instead of a short view.

When we were drinking we thought more about the pleasure or release that a drink would give us than we did about the consequences that would result from our taking that drink. Liquor looks good from the short view. When we look in a package store window, we see liquor dressed up in its best wrappings, with fancy labels and decorations. They looked splendid.

So ............

Have I learned that what's inside those beautiful bottles is just plain poison to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Lies

I lied to impress. I lied to hide my guilt and shame. I lied to cover my mistakes. I lied to bridge the silence. I lied to fantasize. I lied to hurt and destroy. I lied to hide the real me. Then I lied to cover the lies. Then I lied to cover the lies I told to cover the original lies! So it went on. Endless. Exhausting. Meaningless. A part of me always loathed the lies I told. Then I grew to hate myself.

Today, because I understand spirituality to be based on truth, I try not to tell lies. When I do lie, I make an effort to correct myself and apologize. Today lying is painful for me. Today I try to use my mind, imagination and memory for better things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magic

When I couldn't find an easier, softer way, I looked for the person with the magic wand, the one person in AA who could make me all better, right now. This was a frustrating task, and I finally realized that if I wanted this life, I was going to have to do what the others had done. No one made me drink, and no one was going to make me sober. This program is for people who want it, not people who need it.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 315

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“When in doubt, tell the truth. It will confound your enemies and astound your friends.”~ Mark Twain

“Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.”~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky

bluidkiti 03-09-2022 05:29 AM

March 9

Prayer for Peace

God of mercy and compassion,
of grace and reconciliation,
pour your power upon all your children:
Jews, Muslims and Christians.
Let hatred be turned into love, fear to trust, despair to hope,
oppression to freedom, occupation to liberation,
that violent encounters may be replaced by loving embraces,
and peace and justice could be experienced by all.

~ Reverend Said Ailabouni

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Before alcoholics come into A.A., they are "flying blind."

But A.A. gives them a directed beam in the A.A. program. As long as they keep on this beam, the signal of sobriety keeps coming through. If they have a slip, the signal is broken. If they swing off course into drunkenness, the signal stops. Unless they regain the A.A. directed beam, they are in danger of crashing against the mountain peak of despair.

So ............
Am I on the beam?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Listening

We hate being told what to think. We like to make up our own minds. It helps to talk things out with another person who listens to us. Someone who cares what we think.

We can give this respect to others. We can listen to their point of view. We can try to understand them and care about what they think.

When we do this, others start to care what we think too. We share ideas. The ideas get a little clearer. They change a little. We get a little closer to agreement. We both feel good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Acceptance

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.
When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me,
and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober;
unless I accept life on life's terms, I cannot be happy.
I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitude.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 417

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“One of the best ways to persuade others is with your ears---by listening to them.” ~ Dean Rusk

bluidkiti 03-10-2022 05:57 AM

March 10

For Today Prayer

God,
Give me strength to live another day;
Let me not turn coward before its difficulties or prove recreant to its duties;
Let me not lose faith in other people;
Keep me sweet and sound of heart, in spite of ingratitude, treachery, or meanness;
Preserve me from minding little stings or giving them;
Help me to keep my heart clean, and to live so honestly and fearlessly that no outward failure can dishearten me or take away the joy of conscious integrity;
Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see good in all things;
Grant me this day some new vision of thy truth;
Inspire me with the spirit of joy and gladness.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The A.A. program is one of charity.

Because the real meaning of the word charity is to care enough about other people to really want to help them. To get the full benefit of the program, we must try to help other alcoholics. We may try to help somebody and think we have failed, but the seed we have planted may bear fruit some time. We never know the results even a word of ours might have. But the main thing is to have charity for others, a real desire to help them, whether we succeed or not.

So ............

Do I have real charity?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Feeling Offended

Were we offended by someone today? Do we harbor resentment for remarks, oversights, or unpleasant mannerisms? Do we feel tense or uneasy about how someone else has treated us? We can probably make a good case to justify our reactions. Perhaps we are in the right and they are in the wrong.

Yet, even if we are justified, it doesn't matter. We may be puffing ourselves up and wasting energy. When we are oversensitive, we take a self-righteous position, which leads us far from our path of spiritual awakening. Our strength is diminished.

How much better it is to let go of the lightness, let go of our grandiosity, and accept the imperfections in others. We need to accept our own imperfections too. When we do, we are better men, and our strength and energy can be focused on richer goals. I will accept others' imperfections; I do not need to always be right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Allergy

We believe, and so suggested a few years ago, that the action of alcohol on these chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy; that the phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and never occurs in the average temperate drinker. These allergic types can never safely use alcohol in any form at all; and once having formed the habit and found they cannot break it, once having lost their self- confidence, their reliance upon things human, their problems pile up on them and become astonishingly difficult to solve.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page xxviii

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.” ~ Carl Jung

bluidkiti 03-11-2022 05:55 AM

March 11

Prayer for Strength and Faith

Lord,
See me through these hard times. In these troubling times, I am filled with unspeakable fears. I reach out my hand to you now, And ask you to walk besides me. I cannot carry all my burdens, But I know you can, and will. Please walk beside me. Please guide me. Please help me hold on strong, Through the trials and storms. Help me hold on to my faith, In even the darkest hour.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Today, I have more peace and contentment.

Life has fallen into place. The pieces of the jigsaw puzzle have found their correct position. Life is whole, all of one piece. I am not cast hither and yon on every wind of circumstance or fancy. I am no longer a dry leaf cast up and away by the breeze. I have found my place of rest, my place where I belong. I am content. I do not vainly wish for things I cannot have. I have "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. "

So ............

Have I found contentment in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Instant Satisfaction

As we have reached for instant cures, one-minute answers, and quick highs, we have developed lifestyles that foreclosed deeper possibilities.

Today, our greatest temptation may be to grab for the fast solutions rather than allowing time for small but important steps to occur. When we are frustrated, it will help to remember the difficulty may lie in our insistence on a quick answer. Sometimes simply being true to ourselves and standing as a witness while the answer develops are all that is asked of us.

This day, I will have faith that time is on my side and it will teach me valuable things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Belief

One of the oldtimers used the electricity metaphor, which I later found in the Big Book. 'A person walking into a dark room does not worry about understanding electricity,' he said. 'He just finds the switch and turns on the light.' He explained that we can turn on the switch of spirituality by simply asking God each morning for another day of sobriety and thanking Him at night for another beautiful sober day. He said, 'Do it mechanically if you really don't believe in it. But do it every day. There is probably no one who really understands the wonderful ways of the Higher Power, and we don't need to. He understands us.'

Came to Believe, 30th printing 2004, pg. 30

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Recovery is something that you have to work on every single day and it’s something that doesn’t get a day off.” ~ Demi Lovato

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluidkiti 03-12-2022 05:40 AM

March 12

Prayer to Release Fear

Lord,
Sometimes I feel afraid in the tough trials of life.
Sometimes the darkness overwhelms me, and I grow discouraged as I face the uncertainties of life.
Help me remember I am not alone in my battles.
I can count on your presence wherever I go, and rely on the power and provision of your presence in my times of deepest need.
Thank you for being near, for walking with me every day.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought.

What a change our lives are today.

When the morning sun comes up on a nice bright day and we jump out of bed, we're thankful to God that we feel well and happy instead of sick and disgusted. Serenity and happiness have become much more important to us than the excitement of drinking, which lifts us up for a short while, but lets us go down in the end. Of course, all of us alcoholics had a lot of fun with drinking. We might as well admit it. We can look back on a lot of good times, before we became alcoholics. But the time comes for all of us alcoholics when drinking ceases to be fun and becomes trouble.

So ............

Have I learned that drinking can never again be anything but trouble for me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Anger

Sometimes we just want to yell. Maybe a family member or a friend messed up, and we want to “set them straight.” Start counting. Maybe we got chewed out at work and we want “to get even.”

Start counting.
We get drunk on anger. We may feel powerful when we “set someone straight.” But like an alcohol high, an anger high lasts only a short time and can hurt others. We must control our anger. This is why we count.

Cool down. Think out what you need or want to say. Use words that you’ll not be ashamed of later. Learning how to respect others when we’re angry is a sign of recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Release From Fear

The practice of AA's Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions in our personal lives also brought incredible releases from fear of every description, despite the wide prevalence of formidable personal problems. When fear did persist, we knew it for what it was, and under God's grace we became able to handle it.

The Language of the Heart Page 268

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." ~ George Lucas asYoda

YanKeeGal 03-12-2022 06:14 AM

Thank you. Excellent post

willbe275 03-12-2022 12:08 PM

Yes I totally agree, that was indeed a very awesome post.

bluidkiti 03-13-2022 07:42 AM

March 13

Powerless Prayer

Dear God,
I am powerless and my life is unmanageable without Your help and guidance. I come to you today because I believe that You can restore and renew me to meet my needs today. Since I cannot manage my life or affairs, I have decided to give them to You. I put my life, my will, my thoughts, my desires and ambitions in Your hands.

I cannot control or change my friends or loved ones, so I release them into Your care for Your loving hands to do with as You will. Just keep me loving and free from judging them. If they need changing, God, You’ll have to do it; I can’t. Just make me willing and ready to be of service to You, to have my shortcomings removed, and to do my best.

~ Anonymous

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

In the past, we kept right on drinking in spite of all the trouble we got into.

We were foolish enough to believe that drinking could still be fun in spite of everything that happened to us. When we came into A.A., we found a lot of people who, like ourselves, had had fun with drinking, but who now admitted that alcohol had become nothing but trouble for them. And when we found that this thing had happened to a lot of other people beside ourselves, we realized that perhaps we weren't hopeless after all.

So ............

Have I learned to admit that for me drinking has ceased to be fun and has become nothing but trouble?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

New Way

If we had to get well by ourselves, we’d be in trouble. We’ve already tried this route. We need to learn a new way to live, not the old way we already know.

That’s why we have sponsors in Twelve Step programs. Sponsors are one of the best things about our recovery. We pick people who are happy and doing well in recovery. Then we copy them. We copy them because sponsors are special people who have what we want. They have sobriety. They have happiness. They have common sense. They have peace and serenity. And they will help us get those things too. We learn a new way to live from them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wants or Needs

We are taught to differentiate between our wants (which are never satisfied) and our needs (which are always provided for). We cast off the burdens of the past and the anxieties of the future, as we begin to live in the present, one day at a time. We are granted 'the serenity to accept the things we cannot change' - and thus lose our quickness to anger and our sensitivity to criticism.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 560, 3rd Edition

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“People seldom improve when they have no model but themselves to copy.” ~ Oliver Goldsmith