Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   Daily Recovery Readings (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Prayer & Some Thoughts - September (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21331)

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:38 AM

A Prayer & Some Thoughts - September

September 1

Prayer For The Overwhelmed

Lord, I do not see a way out of the burden I feel, but I put all my faith and trust in You for a path to open up, that new opportunities and new relationships will grace my life.
Give me strength, to overcome these negative feelings and to get all the task that I have to do, completed efficiently, effectively, and on time!
Calm my mind, give me peace, as I recollect all the tasks I need to complete.
Give me patience to be still and remember that You will make all things work together for my good.
Everything that happens to me happens for a reason – to make me stronger.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Unless we discuss our defects with another person, we do not acquire enough humility, fearlessness, and honesty to really get the program. We must be entirely honest with somebody, if we expect to live happily in this world. We must be hard on ourselves, but always considerate of others. We pocket our pride and go to it, illuminating every twist of character and every dark cranny of the past. Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we can look the world in the eyes.

So ............

Have I discussed all my defects with another person?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Find My Limits

We learn about ourselves by throwing ourselves into a project, meeting an obstacle we can't overcome, perhaps making some mistakes, we learn what we are capable of and what we are not. We are not here to live a comfortable and placid life. Our task is to grow and learn, to make a contribution, and to have some tranquility while we do. The only way we can achieve those goals is to assert ourselves, find out where the solid limits are, and assert our right to make mistakes in the process.

Today, I will have opportunities to assert myself. I will take the risks required to learn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiritual Growth

When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you find in this book. Do not let any prejudice you may have against spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself what they mean to you. At the start, this was all we needed to commence spiritual growth, to effect our first conscious relation with God as we understood Him. Afterward, we found ourselves accepting many things which then seemed entirely out of reach. That was growth, but if we wished to grow we had to begin somewhere. So we used our own conception, however limited it was.

We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 47

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"It does not matter how much money you have or how long you are spending on the earth. Matters the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in your life." ~~ Amit Ray Read

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:40 AM

September 2

Prayer When Frustrated & Overwhelmed

Lord,
Life can be so overwhelming at times, frustration has gotten the better of me today. I feel as though I am weary but there is yet so much to do and there seems to be so little time. My workload seems to be growing; the demands on me from everyone are just simply too much for me today, it’s too overwhelming. My energy is drained and I feel as though I am losing hope, that this life would not get any easier.

Give me strength, Lord, to overcome these negative feelings and to get all the tasks that I have to do. That they be completed, efficiently and effectively, and on time!
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

If we are still clinging to something that we will not let go, we must sincerely ask God to help us to be willing to let even that go, too. We cannot divide our lives into compartments and keep some for ourselves. We must give all the compartments to God. We must say: 'My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my friends.

So ............

Am I still clinging to something that I will not let go?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self Honesty

Our lies to ourselves kept us so fully in the dark. We sometimes told "sincere" lies because we honestly did not distinguish the truth within ourselves. For so long we had preferred dishonest rationalizations, and we had come to believe them.

We slowly cleanse ourselves of the lies that we told ourselves. With this kind of honesty comes an inner peace with ourselves, and we can say, "I know myself."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tolerance

For countless reasons, people with drinking problems blunder into conflicts with others. It's not unusual to hear that a person has not spoken to a relative for years as a result of some foolish misunderstanding.

The key to peace in our lives is the slogan: "Live and Let Live." If we reflect on this slogan a bit, we want to live freely, and we ought to let others choose their lifestyles without interference from us. After all, if there was anything we alcoholics resented, it was the busybody who tried to shape our lives for us.

Nobody has the competence or understanding to tell us how we should live, nor should we try to control other people.

~~ Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just a Quote

"Forget perfect on the first try. In the face of frustration, your best tool is a few deep breaths, and remembering that you can do anything once you've practiced two hundred times. Seriously." ~~ Andrea Buchanan

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:40 AM

September 3

Prayer to Clear My Mind

Clear my mind of doubt, fear, worry, sadness, despair, lust, temptation, envy, jealousy, malice, pride and anything that stops me from becoming a better person daily. Give me the strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Procrastination – is not acting when the time is right - is a self-defeating behavior. It produces anxiety, guilt, disharmony, and a nagging consciousness of the task that life is telling us it's time to do.

Is there something in your life you are avoiding because you don't want to face it? Is there a building anxiety from putting this off?

So ............

Trust and listen to yourself, your Higher Power. Watch for signs and signals. If it is time to do something, do it now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Acceptance is not submission

Powerlessly watching our lives go by was common for many of us, and our feelings of powerlessness escalated the more idle we were.

The courage to take action, to make decisions that will benefit us as well as the people who are close to us, is a gift of recovery. Also, courage to accept what we cannot change, believing that all will be well, courage to change in ourselves what we do have control over, is a by product of our spiritual progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surrender

On the face of it, surrendering certainly does not seem like winning. But it is in AA

Only after we have come to the end of our rope, hit a stone wall in some aspect of our lives beyond which we can go no further; only when we hit "bottom" in despair and surrender, can we accomplish sobriety which we could never accomplish before.
We must, and we do, surrender in order to win.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 2nd Edition, pp. 341-2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“When someone tries to trigger you by insulting you or by doing or saying something that irritates you, take a deep breath and switch off your ego. Remember that if you are easily offended, you are easily manipulated.” ~~ Mitra Phukan

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:41 AM

September 4

Simple Morning Prayer

God, please enlighten my mind with truth, inflame my heart with love, inspire my will with courage, enrich my life with service.
Pardon what I have been, sanctify what I am, and order what I shall be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We must continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. We should grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter; it should continue for our lifetime. Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We must not rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve, contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.

So ............

Am I checking my spiritual condition daily?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Happiness is a by-product of love and service

A life of power and joy and satisfaction is built on love and service. Persons who hate or are selfish are going against the law of their own being. They are cutting themselves off from God and other people. Little acts of love and encouragement, of service and help, erase the rough places of life and help to make the path smooth. If we do these things, we cannot help having our share of happiness.

I pray that I may not grow weary in my attempts to do the right thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leisure
by W. H. Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty’s glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“Happiness is a choice, a repetitive one.” ~~ Akilnathan Logeswaran

“Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight.” ~~ Gordon B. Hinckley

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:41 AM

September 5

Prayer For Alcoholic Anonymous

Lord, thank You for all those that are involved in helping others with their addiction to alcohol. We thank You for places like Alcoholic Anonymous and the many other places that are dedicated to helping men and women recover from this debilitating and distressing addiction.

Give wisdom, grace and patience to all that are serving in one capacity or another to relieve the distress and devastation that alcoholism leaves in it wake. We pray that You would give them the right words of encouragement and advice to enable those that are addicted to permanently break free of their alcoholism and so live a more meaningful and fruitful life

We pray that You would not only rescue alcoholic men and women from the depths of despair to which many have fallen, but also that bring them into newness of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We cannot get along without prayer and meditation. On awakening, let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking. Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when we start the day with prayer and meditation. We conclude this period of meditation with a prayer that we will be shown through the day what our next step is to be. The basis of all our prayers is: Thy will be done in me and through me today.

So ............

Am I sincere in my desire to do God's will today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Choose the right way

God has given us two things - His spirit and the power of choice - to accept or not, as we will. We have the gift of free will. When we choose the path of selfishness and greed and pride, we are refusing to accept God's spirit. When we choose the path of love and service, we accept God's spirit and it flows into us and makes all things new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Healing Contact

Sometimes we become overburdened with frustration and disappointment in our lives. When we turn inward and focus only on our problems, we may be cutting ourselves off from the healing effect of contact with others.

When we help others, we affirm our solidarity with them in their stress and suffering. We don't give help because we are better or without problems of our own, but because we suffer too. When we act as fellowmen/women, the comradeship and human contact we get provide us with as much help as we give. They liberate us from our own oppressive egos and make us see we are worthwhile.

~~ Peter Benton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Take life one day at a time. There's no need to finish everything all at once. Avoid a hectic day and just breathe." ~~ 12-Step Sayings for Everyone (Guideposts)

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:43 AM

September 6

Accepting Others Prayer

Lord, it's sometimes hard for me to understand or accept or love those who are different from me. I find myself wanting to change them, so that they fit my accepted patterns. I know that the difference between us need not separate us, but my lack of understanding makes me want to stay within the safety of my own perceptions rather than embrace what seems foreign. Give me curiosity of mind so that I am open to the perspectives that others can offer me. Help me see the similarities that bind us together.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We live in an age of information. The technological tools have put us into a mode of speed—we actually start trying to approach the soaking up of information at a rate similar to a computer processing data. In such a fast-paced environment the slow savoring of ideas and concepts has gotten lost in the push for quickness and efficiency.

The practice of spiritual reading is one way to regain a more balanced and meaningful interaction with the world around us. It can help us slow down so that information is allowed to seep unhurriedly into our heart, our mind, our soul, where it can be turned over. This action of slowing our intake of information helps us slacken our pace as we walk through the world without—and the world within.

So ............

Am I using a form of meditation and reflection that calms a thumping heart to a gentle and silent beat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Accepting Our Best

We will do our best for the moment. If we have to redo it, we can do our best in another moment, later. There comes a time when we feel we have done our best.

God, help me stop criticizing myself so I can start appreciating how far I've come.
Today, I will do my best, and then let it go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Justified Resentments

One of the greatest hurdles in sobriety is the so-called justified resentment. We feel that we have a right to be angry at somebody who has hurt or offended us. This feeling might be correct if our anger could remedy the matter and bring it to a just conclusion, but this hardly ever happens. If we are angry, we usually want revenge more than we want justice. Uncontrolled anger will make us behave as unjustly as those who harmed us did. This means more trouble. Whether revenge is sought or not, anger also poisons our own lives.

We can deal with "justified resentment" by reminding ourselves that there's no justification for the pain and sickness a festering resentment will cause in our lives. There is no justified resentment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“I live on a ship full of outcasts, populated by society's unacceptable. And yet, here I stand, happy. And I love them all. It is time to tender myself the same level of courtesy. Or perhaps it is time that I simply accepted that I too am one of the strange and abandoned.” ~~ Gail Carriger

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:44 AM

September 7

A Prayer For Purpose

Lord, at times my days run together into weeks, into months, into years without any conscious thought on my part. Then, suddenly, I come to myself in the space of a moment and realize how unaware and without purpose I have been. Yet, when I try to define my purpose, it seems strangely elusive. I ask that you will give me clarity of purpose; that you will reveal to me my own reason for existence; that you will give me the sure and certain assurance that even when I have lost track of myself and my life, your purpose, though unknown to me or forgotten by me, is still being lived out through me. I ask this for this charity.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

There are just two kinds of people in the world: givers and takers. Those of us who are givers delight in it. But sometimes we givers are uncomfortable when we're on the receiving end. We brush off thanks and gifts and help, even when they're needed or deserved.

Those of us who are takers, on the other hand, know how to receive graciously what others have to give; we know how to ask for what we need. Often, however, we don't know how to give.

We can all strive to become traders, people who have learned how to both give and receive. We each have the capacity to give what we have freely and to ask, gratefully, for what we don't have.

So ............

What can I give and take today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Garbage in, Garbage Out

One thing we don't need in our lives is garbage from the past. Yet many of us say that old thoughts and bitter memories often sneak devilishly back to spoil what should have been a pleasant day. Why do we let garbage from the past befoul our lives a second time?

There is no benefit in bringing back old garbage. We can't change the past. We can't change our mistakes by brooding about them, and we can't obtain justice by remembering how badly we were treated or by plotting revenge. When we bring back garbage, we allow it to occupy space that should be devoted to constructive and positive things.
If we don't want garbage in our lives, let's not put it there by bringing up matters that should have been released, forgiven, and forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Accountability

In the early days of his drinking, the alcoholic is often guilty of
irresponsibility. But once the time of compulsive drinking has arrived,
he can't very well be held fully accountable for his conduct. He then
has an obsession that condemns him to drink. and a bodily sensitivity to
alcohol that guarantees his final madness and death.

But when he is made aware of this condition, he is under pressure to
accept A.A.'s program of moral regeneration.

"As Bill See It" Page 32

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

"Maintaining sobriety is like feeding a parking meter. It's all about change." ~~ unknown

"Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one." ~~ Hans Selye

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:44 AM

September 8

A Troubled Mind Prayer

Dear Lord,

Calm my troubled mind
Still my worried heart
Guide my endless thoughts
Come and leave your mark.

Shelter my tired body
Lift my heavy soul
Quiet my deepest fears
Come and make me whole.

Carry my deepest hurt
Cover my open wounds
Restore my abandoned dreams
Come and hold my life.

Open my ears to hear
Shower my life with praise
Full up my thoughts with truth
Stay by me every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Sometimes we want to get what we want right away. But some things take time. We might have lessons to learn first, lessons that prepare us so we can accept the good. Be patient, Relax and trust. Let go.

Today, I will identify what I want and need; then, I'll be willing to let go of it. I will devote my energy to living my life today, so I may master my lessons as quickly as possible. I will trust that what I want and need is coming to me.

So ............

I will let go of my need to control the details.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

What most of us want is to be heard

If we want attention, we must also give it. That means letting go of all extraneous thoughts when we're in conversation with someone. We cannot expect to get from others what we are unable or unwilling to give.

The beauty of hearing each other is that it helps us to hear ourselves. We know better who we are when we listen to one another. Every conversation offers us a chance to be real, to help another person be real.

Attention is a gift. If I want to receive it, I must give it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H.A.L.T.

H.A.L.T. stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. These feelings can be danger to us. They can lead us away from our program. We need to eat regular meals. When we get too hungry, we get cranky. Then we say and do things we regret. We need to turn anger over to our Higher Power, or else our anger turns into rage. We need friends to help us in recovery. If we get to lonely, we may turn our addictive way for friendship. We don't stay sober by ourselves. We need a clear mind to deal with life. If we get too tried, we tend to feel sorry for ourselves. Being tired get us into crazy thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

"He who knows the precepts by heart, but fails to practice them, Is like unto one who lights a lamp and then shuts his eyes." ~~ Akkineni Nagarjuna

"Listen or thy tongue will keep thee deaf." ~~ American Indian Proverb

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:45 AM

September 9

A Prayer for a Good Day

Lord,
I pray, that You will help me have a good day today, despite my changing circumstances. Give me the wisdom and discernment to know how I can help someone or reach out to someone who is hurting. Help me be a good part of someone else’s day, and encourage me to think of others before myself. And at the end of this day, remind me to thank You for every blessing You have given me. May I always take delight in every small or large blessing.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Outline the program of action to new prospects, explaining how you made a self appraisal, how you straightened out your past, and why you are now endeavoring to help them. It is important for them to realize that your attempt to pass this on to them plays a vital part in your own recovery. The more hopeless they feel, the better. They will be more likely to follow your suggestions. Tell them about the fellowship of A.A. and if they show interest, lend them a copy of the Big Book

So ............

Can I tell the A.A. story to another alcoholic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

We take our failures non-seriously

Perfectionism and its control over our lives stands seriously in the way of our growth and well-being, emotionally, spiritually, and even physically. Life's lessons come through failures probably more than successes. Through our failures we learn humility. We learn to look to others for help and guidance. We learn how to let others fail, too. We fail because we are human.

When we no longer fear failure, we are free to attempt greater feats. We dare to learn more, and life is fuller for it--not just our own lives, but the lives that we touch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not Allied With Any Sect

While A.A. has restored thousands of poor Christians to their
churches, and has made believers out of atheists and agnostics, it has
also made good A.A.'s out of those belonging to the Buddhist, Islamic,
and Jewish faiths. For example, we question very much whether our
Buddhist members in Japan would ever have joined this Society had
A.A. officially stamped itself a strictly Christian movement.

You can easily convince yourself of this by imagining that A.A. started
among the Buddhists and that they then told you you couldn't join them
unless you became a Buddhist, too. If you were a Christian alcoholic
under these circumstances, you might well turn your face to the wall and
die.

"As Bill Sees It" Page 34

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never be fulfilled. If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy with yourself. Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” ~~ Lao Tzu

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:45 AM

September 10

Prayer for Contentment

Lord,
I pray for Contentment.
Help me to stay positive even when it feels like my world is falling apart.
Help me to see blessings, even in my burdens
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Coping with problems and weathering troubled times - is part of life. Those of us who have survived painful experiences have a duty to help younger ones prepare to face bad times by sharing the solutions we found.

We will never have perfect living conditions. The only place where every day is a sunny one is in the desert. When pain comes, we can walk through our problems and settle things quickly, rather than prolonging the hurt by battling our way around the obstacles in an effort to avoid them.

So ............

What problem can I confront and eliminate today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Honesty

Sometimes we think that honesty is simply too painful and demanding---- all sacrifice with no gain. If we are completely honest with ourselves, however, the results can only be positive.What are the advantages of being entirely honest about our motives and feelings? One benefit is that we never will have to face the disillusionment and humiliation that come from self-deception.

The honest person has self-respect and a clear conscious. In real honesty, there is no inner struggle to keep up appearances or to pretend we are anybody except ourselves. Honesty makes us comfortable rather than pained, relaxed rather than anxious, and decisive rather than confused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Practice These Principles

Step Twelve - "Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

In Step Eight, we continued our housecleaning, for we saw that we were not only in conflict with ourselves, but also with people and situations in the world in which we lived. We had to begin to make our peace, and so we listed the people we had harmed and became willing to set things right. We followed this up in Step Nine by making direct amends to those concerned, except when it would injure them or other people. By this time, at Step Ten, we had begun to get a basis for daily living, and we keenly realized that we would need to continue taking personal inventory, and that when we were in the wrong we ought to admit it promptly. In Step Eleven we saw that if a Higher Power had restored us to sanity and had enabled us to live with some peace of mind in a sorely troubled world, then such a Higher Power was worth knowing better, by as direct contact as possible. The persistent use of meditation and prayer, we found, did open the channel so that where there had been a trickle, there now was a river which led to sure power and safe guidance from God as we were increasingly better able to understand Him.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 108-109

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Storms make trees take deeper roots." ~~ Claude McDonald

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:48 AM

September 11
Prayer of Gratitude

Lord, thank you for the blessings you have bestowed on my life. You have surrounded me with people who always look out for me. You have given me family and friends who bless me every day with kind words and actions. They lift me up in many ways.

Also, thank you, Lord, for keeping me safe. You help me make better choices, and you have provided me with advisors that help me with the difficult decisions. You speak to me in so many ways.

And Lord, I am so grateful to you, for keeping those around me safe and loved. I hope that you provide me with the ability and sense to show them every day how much they matter. I hope that you give me the ability to give to them the same kindness they have provided to me. I am just so grateful for all of your blessings in my life, Lord. I pray that you remind me of just how lucky I am, and that you never allow me to forget to show my gratitude in prayer and returned kind acts.
Amen

~~ Kelli Mahoney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

We must be careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an institution. Experience shows that such an attitude is not helpful to anyone. We are not fanatics or intolerant of people who can drink normally. Prospects are relieved when they find we are not witch burners. Temperate drinking is okay, but we alcoholics can't get away with it. And no alcoholic likes to be told about alcohol by anyone who hates it. We shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility.

So ............

Do I have tolerance for those who can drink normally?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Petty Annoyances

Do not become encumbered by petty annoyances. Never respond to emotional upsets by emotional upset. Try to keep calm in all circumstances. Try not to fight back. Call on the grace of God to calm you when you feel like retaliating. Look to God for the inner strength to drop those resentments that drag you down. If you are burdened by annoyances, you will lose your inward peace and the spirit of God will be shut out. Try to keep peaceful within.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Long View

One thing we learn in A.A. is to take a long view of drinking instead of a short view. When we were drinking we thought more about the pleasure or release that a drink would give us, than we did about the consequences which would result from our taking that drink. Liquor looks good from the short view. When we look in a package store window, we see liquor dressed up in its best wrappings, with fancy labels and decorations. They look swell. But have I learned that what's inside those beautiful bottles is just plain poison to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Where humility formerly stood for a forced feeding on humble pie, it now begins to mean the nourishing ingredient that can give us serenity.” ~~ Bill W.

September 12

Prayer for Wisdom

In everything we do, Lord, give us a desire to seek out the truth;
give us a willingness to heed the advice of others;
give us wisdom in reaching decisions;
give us faith to believe in our conclusions;
give us courage to put our ideas to the test;
and, if we prove ourselves wrong, give us the grace to admit it.
Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"First Things First."

This means that we should always keep in mind that alcohol is our number one problem. We must never let any other problem; whether of family, business, friends, or anything else take precedence in our minds over our alcoholic problem. As we go along in A.A., we learn to recognize the things that may upset us emotionally. When we find ourselves getting upset over something, we must realize that it's a luxury we alcoholics can't afford. Anything that makes us forget our number one problem is dangerous to us.

So ............

Am I keeping sobriety in first place in my mind?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

View of Competition

Although competitiveness can be a good quality, we've seen it become very ugly and destructive. A few like the excitement of competition, but many of us withdraw from it. We hate anything that includes the risk of defeat or might make us appear second best. Sometimes we even feel guilty in winning.

There is a kind of competition that does pay off …… competition with ourselves. We can try to be better people than we might have been yesterday, or a week ago, or a month ago. This kind of competition requires skill and stamina, and it also requires exercise and training. But anybody who sincerely seeks a spiritual life and true self-improvement can find it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most Important Thing

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life.
The most important decision I ever made was my decision
to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life
depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the
world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything
I have, my whole life depends on that one thing. Can I afford
ever to forget this, even for one minute?

~~ Richmond Walker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Nothing is interesting, if you are not interested." ~~ Helen MacInnes

September 13

God's Happiness in Me

Dear God, I pray for happiness.
I pray that I have a cheerful heart.
I pray that others are drawn to my happy smile, my positive attitude, and my face that shines with joy.
Dear God, I know that you have created me and everyone else to be happy, to find joy and laughter in the different stages and experiences of life.
I pray that I express You in my expression of joy.
A cheerful heart is a continual feast.
My outlook is positive, and I feel happy.
My life is a banquet of uplifting experiences.
I feel so good as I release the joy of God from within.
I express God's eternal, loving presence within me.
I pray, daily, that my cheerful heart up lifts me, and brings joy to everyone around me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"Live and Let Live."

This, of course, means tolerance of people who think differently than we do, whether they are in A.A. or outside of A.A. We cannot afford the luxury of being intolerant or critical of other people. We do not try to impose our wills on those who differ from us. We are not "holier than thou." We do not have all the answers. We are not better than other good people. We live the best way we can and we allow others to do likewise.

So ............

Am I willing to live and let live?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

What surprises lie in wait for us today

We may look forward, not just to the expected, but to the unexpected. Whom shall we meet? What will we see? What will we learn? How will we be entertained? What changes to help others will come our way? What chances to love and be loved?

Now that our eyes are opened to today's beauty, let us remain alert for new sights. Let us cry when sad, smile when touched, and laugh at what is funny in a whole new lifetime before us.

What can I be thankful for today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thankful

The family must realize that dad, though marvelously improved, is still convalescing. They should be thankful he is sober and able to be of this world once more. Let them praise his progress. Let them remember that his drinking wrought all kinds of damage that may take long to repair. If they sense these things, they will not take so seriously his periods of crankiness, depression, or apathy, which will disappear when there is tolerance, love, and spiritual understanding.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 127

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.” ~~ John F. Kennedy

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:49 AM

September 14

A Prayer for Today

Lord,
Just for this day,
Help me to understand and do your will.
Allow me the strength to face and overcome stressful situations.
Please give my family and friends the same strength, this day.
Let me try to help another human being, like I was helped.
Allow me the willingness to look for the good and serenity to accept the bad.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

God's Timetable

We have probably heard many times at meetings that God's timetable is not necessarily the same as our timetable. That events will happen as scheduled to fit a picture bigger than the picture encompassed by our egos. And frequently our patience wears thin because we aren't privy to God's timetable. But we can trust, today and always, that doors open on time. Opportunities are offered when we are ready for them. Nary a moment passes that doesn't invite us to both give and receive a special message--a particular lesson. We are always in God's care, and every circumstance of our lives is helping to mold the person we are meant to be.

So ............

Will I take a long look at where I am today and be grateful for my place?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Humility

Humility is the quality of being humble and means putting the needs of another person before your own, and thinking of others before yourself. It also means not drawing attention to yourself, and it can mean acknowledging that you are not always right.

To cultivate humility: Spend time listening to others, Practice mindfulness and focus on the present, Be grateful for what you have, Ask for help when you need it, Seek feedback from others on a regular basis, Review your actions against the language of pride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newcomer Problems

You can't make a horse drink water if he still prefers beer or is too
crazy to know what he does want. Set a pail of water beside him, tell
him how good it is and why, and leave him alone.

If people really want to get drunk, there is, so far as I know, no way
stopping this--so leave them alone and let them get drunk. But don't
exclude them from the water pail, either.

As Bill Sees It Page 14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“We are willing to turn our lives over to the care of God, as each of us understands Him. As we let ourselves be led hour-by-hour and day-by-day, our lives fall into place, and we are given inner joy and serenity.” ~~ John W., San Antonio, TX

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:49 AM

September 15

A Patience Prayer

Dear God, I pray that I am patient
every moment of this day with myself
and with everyone around me. I am patient in traffic.
I am patient in the workplace and with my co-workers.
I am patient with the world when I hear
the news on radio or TV.
I am patient at home with my spouse and loved ones.
I am a patient person, because I have a patient God.
God is patient with me. Therefore,
I am patient with all those around me
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Recovery is a process.The Twelve Steps provide the foundation to support our growth as healthy, productive men and women. Each Step must be carefully and honestly worked, or the whole foundation will be weakened

Not only can we discover who we are, now, but also we can change, nurture those traits that we favor, diminish those that attract trouble. My actions today are the key. They tell who I am at this moment. Who I become is up to me. I will work each Step and reflect before I move ahead. The strength of my foundation depends on it.

So ............

I am building my foundation?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Spiritual Growth

In our spiritual growth, one of our movements is from passive to active, from helpless to responsive.

Our Higher Power speaks to us in a quiet, subtle voice, which can easily be ignored until we learn to listen. It takes courage to listen to this inner voice. When we listen, we develop a relationship that is a strong force moving us into recovery. We are still powerless over many things, but we can make active choices in how we will grow and how we will respond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Understanding & Approval

The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself. As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval. Momentarily we did - then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen - Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. Unhappy drinkers who read this page will understand!

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 151

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” ~~ Frank A. Clark

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:56 AM

September 16

Prayer of Surrender

Lord, take my life I pray, and use it as You will. I choose today to surrender my all to You. You know the thoughts of my heart, and I have not come to this decision lightly, but know that this must be the path that I take from now on.

Lord, I ask that You do whatever it takes for me to live entirely in Your will and to be able to say in every circumstance of my life, “Your will be done and not mine”

Search out my heart and change me into the person that You desire me to be.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

"Easy Does It."
Means that we just go along in A.A. doing the best we can and not getting steamed up over problems that arise in A.A. or outside of it. We alcoholics are emotional people and we have gone to excess in almost everything we have done. We have not been moderate in many things. We have not known how to relax. Faith in a Higher Power can help us to learn to take it easy. We are not running the world. I am only one among many. We are resolved to live normal, regular lives. From our A.A. experience we learn that "easy does it."

So ............

Have I learned to take it easy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Stop making excuses for other people and for ourselves.

Our goal to accept reality and hold people accountable for their behavior. We can also hold ourselves accountable for our own behavior and, at the same time, have compassion and understanding for others and ourselves.

Today, I will avoid making excuses for my own or someone else's behavior. I will let consequences and responsibility fall where they belong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pipeline to God

I am a firm believer in both guidance and prayer. But I am fully aware,
and humble enough, I hope, to see there may be nothing infallible about
my guidance.

The minute I figure I have got a perfectly clear pipeline to God, I have
become egotistical enough to get into real trouble. Nobody can cause
more needless grief than a power-driver who thinks he has got it straight
from God.

As Bill Sees It Page 38

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have a habit of making excuses.” ~~ George Washington Carver

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:56 AM

September 17

A Short Morning Prayer

Lord, I am so sorry for the way I complain about my circumstances.
Please forgive me for my bad attitude when things don’t go my way.
Help me learn how to face every storm with confidence, knowing that you really are in control even though I cannot hear Your voice or see Your hand at work.
Amen.

~~ Mary Southerland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Once we have fully accepted the program we become humble about our achievement. We do not take too much credit for our sobriety. When we see another suffering alcoholic in the throes of alcoholism, we say to ourselves: "But for the grace of God, there go I." We do not forget the kind of people we were. We remember those we left behind us. And we are very grateful to the grace of God, which has given us another chance.

So ............

Am I truly grateful for the grace of God?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Change

We are often so busy trying to control the outcome of the happenings in our daily lives, so intent on projecting our tomorrows that we let life slip by. Life is today.

Life is a series of things to let go of - our friends and loved ones, our children as they grow, our dreams, or our youth. Only we ourselves, our inner selves, are a constant to be found and learned about every day, in the present moment.

How well can I enjoy each moment today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiritual Angle

How often do we sit in AA meetings and hear the speaker declare, "But I haven't yet got the spiritual angle." Prior to this statement, he had described a miracle of transformation which had occurred in him -- not only his release from alcohol, but a complete change in his whole attitude toward life and the living of it. It is apparent to nearly everyone else present that he has received a great gift; " . . . except that he doesn't seem to know it yet!" We well know that this questioning individual will tell us six months or a year hence that he has found faith in God.

Language Of The Heart Page 275

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Decision is the spark that ignites action. Until a decision is made, nothing happens.” ~~ Wilfred A. Peterson

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:57 AM

September 18

Prayer to Let Go Disappointments

Lord, please help me to let go of all the disappointments of the past and to forgive those that have hurt and disappointed me so deeply. Keep me from all bitterness Lord. I know that I am holding resentment in my heart, and that this is destructive to my own peace.

Lord, I am finding forgiveness so very difficult. Help me I pray, I know in my heart that forgiveness is a choice that I have to make. Help me to make the right choice. Help me to choose to let forgiveness flood my heart, so that I am not nursing grievances within, and so that healing of my own heart can start to take place.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When alcoholics are offered a life of sobriety by following the A.A. program, they will look at the prospect of living without alcohol and they will ask: "Am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some of the righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute? Many have, in the change offered by of the 12 Steps of A.A.

So ............

Have I found a more than sufficient substitute for drinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Perspective will come in retrospect

We do not always know why things are happening the way they are. We do not always know how a particular relationship will work out. We do not always understand the source of our feelings, why we've been led down a particular path.

Today, I will let things happen without trying to figure everything out. If clarity is not available to me today, I will trust it to come later, in retrospect. I will put simple trust in the truth that all is well, events are unfolding as they should, and all will work out for good in my life - better than I can imagine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amends to Others

The people most affected by our disease were undoubtedly the members of our own family. Then came our closest friends, if we had any left. These people were directly affected by our negative moods and by our withdrawal.

Making amends is sometimes embarrassing and often difficult. It involves much pride swallowing. A simple, sincere apology may be all that is necessary. There may be concrete acts, which we can perform. As with making amends to ourselves, the best way we can make up for the hurt we have caused to family and friends is by abstaining from alcohol. As we abstain, we reach out to those around us instead of withdrawing. Our own sanity is the best gift we can give to others.

~~ From the writings of Cristina Ferrare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"What do you do when disappointment comes? When it weighs on you like a rock, you can either let it press you down until you become discouraged, even devastated, or you can use it as a stepping-stone to better things." ~~ Joyce Meyer

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:57 AM

September 19

Prayer of Celebration

Great Spirit,
We join our minds and hearts in prayer and celebration. We celebrate Your essence within each of us. We celebrate the Love which connects us. We celebrate the work that we have before us. Today, we reach out and bless each and every person. We embrace each other like the members of a big family that we really are and we commit ourselves to live from love in all ways. Each of us is Your ambassador and we let Your light shine through our lives into each workplace, town and home that we touch. Together, we proclaim the Truth that You,Great Spirit, are Love, and that You love each person just as they are. Thank You. Thank You. And so it is. Amen.

Based on an Old American Native Prayer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The things we put in place of drinking are more than substitutes for it. One is the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. In this company, you find release from care, boredom, and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Among other A.A.s you will make lifelong friends. You will be bound to them with new and wonderful ties.

So ............

Does life mean something to me now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-approval

Most of us want to be liked. We want other people to think of us as nice, friendly, kind, and loving. Most of us want the approval of others. We may look for approval from people who have none to give. We may not know that we're lovable now and can learn to approve of ourselves.

The unmet needs for approval and love from our past give others control over us today. These needs can prevent us from acting in our best interest and being true to ourselves.

I will try to let go of my need for approval and my need to be liked. I will replace them with a need to like and approve of myself. I will enjoy the surprise I find when I do this. The people who count, including myself, will respect me when I am true to myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life's Promises

Life doesn't promise us anything, except a chance. We have a chance to live any way we like. No matter how we choose to live, we'll have pain and we'll have joy. And we can learn from both.
Because of our recovery program, we can have life's biggest wonder---love. We share it in a smile, a touch, a phone call, or a note. We share it with our friends, our partners, our family. Life didn't promise to be wonderful, but it sure is full of little wonders! And we only have to open up and see them, feel them, and let them happen.

~~ Simon Tyler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness now. How? By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged. Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime." ~~ Dale Carnegie

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:58 AM

September 20

A Morning Resolve

I will try this day to live a simple, sincere and serene life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity, and self-seeking; cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy silence; exercising economy in expenditure, generosity in giving, carefulness in conversation, diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust, and a childlike faith in God.

And as I cannot in my own strength do this, nor even with a hope of success attempt it, I look to thee, O Lord to help fulfill my resolve.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

The answers to the question of how a person can live without liquor and be happy, we say: "You will be bound to the other A.A.’s with new and wonderful ties, for you and they will escape disaster together and all will commence shoulder to shoulder the common journey to a better and more satisfactory life. You will know what it means to give of yourself that others may survive and rediscover life. You will become happy, respected, and useful once more. Since these things have happened to us, they can happen to you."

So ............

Have these things happened to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Friendship

A good friendship is like a flower garden. It needs attention and care. Like a garden, friendships need care and love in order to thrive. We nourish friendships with visits, thoughtful favors, and trust. When we are feeling down or in need of help, a friendship can offer us more than just beauty.

When we work at our friendships, they are not seasonal but bloom in any weather, and they surround us with comfort and the knowledge that we have, and deserve, love.

How can I nurture a friendship today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How Much Anonymity

As a rule, the average newcomer wanted his family to know immediately what he was trying to do. He also wanted to tell others who had tried to help him--his doctor, his minister, and close friends. As he gained confidence, he felt it right to explain his new way of life to his employer and business associates. When opportunities to be helpful came along, he found he could talk easily about A.A. to almost anyone.

These quiet disclosures helped him to lose his fear of the alcoholic stigma, and spread the news of A.A.'s existence in his community. Many a man and woman came to A.A. because of such conversations. Since it is only at the top public level that anonymity is expected, such communications were well within its spirit.

As Bill See It Page 43

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Hard things are put in our way, not to stop us, but to call out our courage and strength.” ~~Anonymous

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 02:59 AM

September 21

Prayer for Calm

Lord,
My mind prowls around, looking for someone to blame, hunting for a way to release the anger I feel. I am trapped, enraged by these feelings. Resentment weighs me down and revenge follows me. It overtakes my life.
Lord, guide my thoughts and calm my fears,steady my emotions. Guide my feelings, so I may not be overcome by upset. Show me a encouraging vision for the future, and hope for tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Paradoxes

Our program contains some surprising paradoxes. When we admit that we are powerless, we can receive Power. When we accept what we do not like, then a change can begin.

Until we admit defeat, we will not succeed with the AA program. The biggest defeat is the one that is dealt to our illusions of self-reliance and self-sufficiency. As long as we insist on trying to control our lives by ourselves, we will be confused. It is by relinquishing control that we gain strength and are freed from our compulsion and obsession. We save our lives by giving them away.

The key to these paradoxes is our willingness to believe in a Higher Power. By ourselves, we are weak, ineffectual, and sick. When operating in accordance with the will of the Power greater than ourselves, our potential is limitless.

So ............

Can I accept the paradoxes that I do not understand ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Guidance

Does guidance from our Higher Power always come through? We must believe that it does, even when we don't seem to receive a visible answer.
Spiritual guidance usually doesn't come as we think it should. What we're likely to find instead is that over time, a number of unrelated events come together for a good purpose. Although this appears to be chance or coincidence, very important outcomes often develop from simple happenings___ maybe just from meeting someone on the street.
We can never really determine how any chain of events will play out. The best we can do is to continue seeking guidance while following the highest principles in our program. Many chance happenings will be recognized as guidance when we look back at an entire chain of events.

My best way to seek guidance is simply to remember today that my life and affairs are in God's care and keeping. The highest good will come from this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neither Dependence nor Self-Sufficiency

When we insisted, like infants, that people protect and take care of us or that the world owed us a living, then the result was unfortunate. The people we most loved often pushed us aside or perhaps deserted us entirely. Our disillusionment was hard to bear.

We failed to see that, though adult in years, we were still behaving childishly, trying to turn everybody--friends, wives, husbands, even the world itself--into protective parents. We refused to learn that overdependence upon people is unsuccessful because all people are fallible, and even the best of them will sometimes let us down, especially when our demands for attention become unreasonable.

"As Bill See It" Page 265

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start." -- Nido Qubein

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 03:00 AM

September 22

Prayer to Loving Difficult People

Lord, I have to thank You for looking beyond my faults and for loving me unconditionally.
Forgive me when I fail to love others in the same way.
Give me eyes to see the needs of the difficult people in my life, and show me how to meet those needs.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

What draws newcomers to A.A. and gives them hope? They hear the stories of men and women whose experiences tally with their own. The very practical approach to their problems, the absence of intolerance of any kind, the informality, the genuine democracy, the uncanny understanding which these people in A.A. have is irresistible.

So ............

Have I found a real haven in A.A.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Disagreements

A good relationship includes some disagreement. Anger and disagreement, when we express them respectfully, are important ways of renewing communication and breaking through the walls that sometimes built up.

In any relationship we care about, there will be differences. When we avoid all confrontations, our relationships go stale because all emotional issues are avoided. Carefulness and over control undermine love because they don't give it room to breathe, but disagreement and anger expressed in honest and respectful ways will help love grow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carrying the Message

We do not keep our program unless we give it away.
Our participation in meetings is a means of sharing with others what AA has given us. We are genuinely interested in newcomers, because they remind us of where we came from and because they give us an opportunity to strengthen our own program by sharing what we have received. Practicing the AA principles in all areas of our life is carrying the message.

Abstinence and the AA program now occupy the central place in our lives. Following the will of our Higher Power means that we carry the message as He directs us. We are willing to be used in whatever way God moves us to give away our program.

~~ Arianna T.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“In some ways, we will always be different. In other ways, we will always be the same. There is always room to disagree and blame, just as there is always room to take a new perspective and empathize. Understanding is a choice.” -- Vironika Tugaleva

September 23

Prayer for Self Control

Lord,
I’m asking you to help me think before I speak and to think before I act.
Infuse me with the self discipline I need to walk in your ways, not my own.
Help me Lord to control my thoughts, my words and my actions.
Let me honor the pause, before I choose to respond.
Strengthen me to resist temptation and choose your best for me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

No one is too discredited, nor has sunk too low, to be welcomed cordially into A.A., if he or she means business. Social distinctions, petty rivalries and jealousies are laughed out of countenance. Being wrecked in the same vessel, being restored and united, with hearts and minds attuned to the welfare of others, the things which matter so much to some people no longer signify much to us. In A.A., we have true democracy and true brotherhood.

So ............

Has A.A. taught me to be truly democratic?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Pain & Change

Pain, repeatedly experienced, indicates a need for self-assessment, an inventory of our behavior. Honest self-appraisal may well call for change, a change in attitude perhaps, a change in specific behavior in some instances, or maybe a change in direction.

Each of us must find our own willingness. Each of us must develop attentiveness to the signs that repeatedly invite changes in our behavior. But most of all, each of us has to travel the road to change, singly. Changes we must find the courage to make will never be exactly like someone else's changes.

Courage to change accompanies faith. My fears are telling me to look within to the spiritual source of strength, ever present but often forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That First Drink

After that first drink, we had a single track mind. It was like a railroad train. The first drink started it off and it kept going on the single track until it got to the end of the line, drunkenness.

We knew this would happen when we sat down at a bar to have the first drink, but still we couldn't keep away from liquor. Our will-power was gone. We had become helpless and hopeless before the power of alcohol. It's not the second drink or the tenth drink that does the damage. It's the first drink.

Will I ever take that first drink again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“See, alcoholism is exactly like bubble gum. You know when you blow a bubble and it bursts, some of the gum sticks to you chin? What's the only thing that gets the bubble gum off your chin? Bubble gum. You have to take the bubble gum out of your mouth and press it against the gum on your chin and it'll pick it up. Only an alcoholic can treat another alcoholic. Only other alcoholics can get you sober.” -- Augusten Burroughs

September 24

Prayer for Patience

Lord, teach me to be patient - with life, with people,and with myself. I sometimes try to hurry things along too much, and I push for answers before the time is right. Teach me to trust Your sense of timing rather than my own and to surrender my will to Your greater and wiser plan. Help me let life unfold slowly, like the small rosebud whose petals unravel bit by bit, and remind me that in hurrying the bloom along, I destroy the bud and much of the beauty therein.

Instead, let me wait for all to unfold in its own time. Each moment and state of growth contains a loveliness. Teach me to slow down enough to appreciate life and all it holds.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

For many of us, our spiritual awakening began when we first heard our Higher Power might be our group. We learned that God may exist in the connections between people in our group just as well as within each individual.

When we ask another member to listen to us, we contribute to the strength of this spirit. When we give someone a ride to a meeting or spread the word about this program to other suffering men and women, we make a contribution and receive its benefits. Even now, if we need a renewal of confidence in God's presence in our lives, we can telephone another member and just talk. We will quickly sense the spirit.

So ............

Am I grateful to feel God's presence in my life and within the people around me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Getting Through Hard Times

Hard times, stressful times, are not all there is to life, but they are part of life, growth, and moving forward. What we do with hard times, or hard energy, is our choice.

Hard times can motivate and mold us to bring out our best. We can use these times to move forward and upward to higher levels of living, loving, and growth. The choice is ours.

We do not always require hard energy, or stress, to motivate us to grow and change. We do not have to create stress, seek it, or attract it. But if it's there, we can learn to channel it into growth and use it for achieving what's good in life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Compliance Isn’t Acceptance

We are sometimes mystified when people come into the AA program, respond to its message for months or years, and then disappear, seemingly without a trace. Later, we may be shocked to learn that they’re drinking again. One possible explanation is that they were practicing compliance without really accepting the program. The danger of compliance is that it may simply be an outward show of working the program while leaving one’s real thoughts and feelings unchanged. For example, to “bring the body” to meetings in the belief that they heart will follow. This does little good if one’s heart does not follow!

The only solution is to continue the difficult but rewarding search for honesty in all things. When we examine ourselves honestly, we will recognize when we are truly accepting and when we are merely complying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” -- Mithra Phukan

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 03:01 AM

September 25

Prayer for Sobriety Today

God, direct my thinking today so that it be empty of self-pity, dishonesty, self-will, self-seeking and fear.
God, inspire my thinking, decisions and intuitions. Help me to relax and take it easy.
Free me from doubt and indecision. Guide me through this day and show me my next step.
God, show me what I need to do to take care of any problems.
I ask all these things that I may be of maximum service to you and my fellow man.
In the spirit of the Steps I pray.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Let us begin a short study of The Twelve Steps of A.A. These Twelve Steps seem to embody five principles. The first step is the membership requirement step. The second, third, and eleventh steps are the spiritual steps of the program. The fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and tenth steps are the personal inventory steps. The eighth and ninth steps are the restitution steps. The twelfth step is the passing on of the program, or helping others, step. So the five principles are membership requirement, spiritual basis, personal inventory, restitution, and helping others.

So ............

Have I made all these steps a part of me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Revenge

No matter how solid our spiritual ground, we may still feel an overwhelming desire at times to punish, or get even, with another person. We want revenge. We want to see the other person hurt the way he or she has hurt us.

Those are normal feelings, but we do not have to act on them. We can allow ourselves to feel the anger. But our goal is to release the feelings, and be finished with them.

Today, I will be as angry as I need to be, with a goal of finishing my business with others. Once I have released my hurt and anger, I will strive for healthy forgiveness - forgiveness with boundaries. I understand that boundaries, coupled with forgiveness and compassion, will move me forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gratitude In Recovery

The mindset of Alcoholics is: “I’m different,” “Me vs. the world” or “Everyone is out to get me” are all common ways of selfish thinking when in the throes of addiction. It’s actually a defense mechanism to protect our erratic behaviors. How does gratitude help this? It’s the opposite of virtually all these behaviors. One gets to thinking less of self and more on the efforts of those trying to help. It develops humility and gratefulness. By cultivating this in recovery, we develop a better mindset overall and have a much more positive perspective on life. Gratitude is even backed by science studies. Those who practice gratitude are generally happier people.

One such study also revealed that grateful people are:

More Optimistic
Stronger at Dealing with Challenges
Have more Energy
More in Control of Their Lives
Think More Clearly
Experience less Stress
Live Longer

Adapted from “Cirque Lodge”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Few Quotes

“An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.” ~~ Mahatma Gandhi

“Revenge, the sweetest morsel to the mouth that ever was cooked in hell.” ~~ Walter Scott

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 03:01 AM

September 26

Start This Morning Prayer

Lord,
Help me remember what a difference it makes when I make time with You a priority in my morning.
Awaken me in body and spirit each day with a desire to meet with You and to hear You speak words of affirmation, assurance, and wisdom over my heart as I prepare to go into my day.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

When we came into A.A., we came to believe in a Power greater than ourselves. We came to believe in that Divine Principle in the universe which we call God, and to whom we could turn for help. Each morning we have a quiet time. We ask God for the power to stay sober for the next twenty-four hours. And each night we thank Him for helping us to keep sober for that day.

So ............

Do I believe that each man or woman I see in A.A. is a demonstration of the power of God to change a human being from a drunkard to a sober person?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Happiness

We have striven for happiness, generally in self-centered ways. We expected others to favor us with their attention. Or we waited for invitations or gifts. We have probably tried to buy happiness with the purchase of a new clothes or shoes. But soon we became discontented, once again. And the search was begun anew.

Today, we are learning that happiness that comes from "giving." Giving to others, giving attention, sharing hope, sharing our own stories, listening to theirs, is the key to finding the happiness for which we've searched so long. We must get outside of ourselves and focus on another's joy or sorrow. Only then do we get a clear perspective on who we are and the necessary role we play in the lives of others who need our attention and who have a message we also need to hear. Looking deeply into another person, listening intently to the stirring will elicit joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True Independence of the Spirit

The more we become willing to depend upon a Higher Power, the more independent we actually are. Therefore, dependence as A.A. practices it is really a means of gaining true independence of the spirit.

At the level of everyday living, it is startling to discover how dependent we really are, and how unconscious of that dependence. Every modern house has electric wiring carrying power and light to its interior. By accepting with delight our dependence upon this marvel of science, we find ourselves personally more independent, more comfortable and secure. Power flows just where it is needed. Silently and surely, electricity, that strange energy so few people understand, meets our simplest daily needs.

Though we readily accept this principle of healthy dependence in many of our temporal affairs, we often fiercely resist the identical principle when asked to apply it as a means of growth in the life of the spirit. Clearly, we shall never know freedom under God until we try to seek His will for us. The choice is ours.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 36

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.” -- Herbert Bayard Swope

bluidkiti 09-27-2020 03:05 AM

September 27

Prayer For Loneliness

Lord, it’s hard to stay motivated when I feel lonely.
There are so many things I should be doing, but I cannot bring myself to get started.
Help me, Lord, to find ways to stay productive and moving forward during this time.
I ask that you, please bring people into my life who will be there for me.
Amen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

An alcoholic carries an awful load around with them. What a load lying puts on your shoulders! Drinking makes liars out of all of us alcoholics. In order to get all the liquor we want, we have to lie all the time. We have to lie about where we've been and what we've been doing. When you are lying you are only half alive, because of the fear of being found out. When you come into A.A., and get honest with yourself and with other people, that terrible load of lying falls off your shoulders.

So ............

Have I got rid of that load of lying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Freedom & Choices

Freedom is a funny thing, in a way, it can make life harder. We are free to do what we want, but every choice makes a difference in our lives. Some choices make us happy and some bring trouble.
We can make good choices. We can control our actions. We can start by having control in little ways: follow the law, pay the rent, and make the bed every day. These choices put order in our lives. Eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep. These choices make us strong enough to live each day to the fullest.

These kinds of choices set us free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grudges & Revenge

When we harbored grudges and planned revenge for defeats, we were really beating ourselves with the club of anger we had intended to use on others. We learned that if we were seriously disturbed, our very first need was to quiet that disturbance, regardless of who or what we thought caused it.

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Page 47

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved." -- Mother Teresa

bluidkiti 09-28-2020 04:54 AM

September 28

Lead Me

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following Your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please You does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that, if I do this, You will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust You always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for You are ever with me, and You will never leave me to face my perils alone.

-- Thomas Merton (1915-1968)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

After we have found sobriety through the A.A. program, we gradually began to get a peace of mind and serenity which we never thought were possible. This peace of mind is based on a feeling that fundamentally all is well. That does not mean that all is well on the surface of things. Little things can keep going wrong and big things can keep on upsetting us. But deep down in our hearts we know that everything is eventually going to be all right, now that we are living sober lives.

So ............

Have I achieved a deep down, inner calm?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Mature Living

Being in error now and then is part of our human existence. Many of us, however, feel unbearable self-reproach when we make a mistake. Some compulsive people even blame themselves for errors beyond their control.

But the worst mistake is the refusal, or denial, of responsibility for mistakes. This comes from a strange belief that we can erase the mistake by refusing to accept it. It may stem from the belief that we should be above mistakes. This is immature thinking.

We are learning and growing when we accept our mistakes graciously and immediately move to correct them. Most of the time, when this is done, the distress passes quickly and we can go on to other matters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Obsession

The idea that somehow, some day, he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

Alcoholics Anonymous Page 30

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"Love is caring for another human being and allowing them to be who they are and make their own choices without any demand that they meet yours." - -- Vickie Dishner

bluidkiti 09-29-2020 05:08 AM

September 29

Resentment Prayer

Dear God,
Please help me to honestly take stock. Help me to search out the flaws in my make-up which caused my failure. Help me to see where resentment has plagued me and resulted in spiritual malady, but more importantly help me to understand my part in these resentments. Help me to resolutely look for my own mistakes and to understand where I had been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking and frightened. Please help me to be searching and fearless in my endeavor to write my inventory.

(aka 4th Step Prayer)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

Step One is, "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable."

This step states the membership requirement of A.A. We must admit that our lives are disturbed. We must accept the fact that we are helpless before the power of alcohol. We must admit that we are licked as far as drinking is concerned and that we need help. We must be willing to accept the bitter fact that we cannot drink like normal people. And we must make, as gracefully as possible, surrender to the inevitable fact that we must stop drinking.

So ............

Is it difficult for me to admit that I am different from normal drinkers?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Self-love

An important part of our lives is simply tending to our basic needs. Paying attention to these things only when they become crises makes our lives unbalanced and crisis oriented.

Self-love allows us to be responsible for our care, and it puts us in a stronger position to help others, to be creative. I have to look after the essentials of my personal care and my family's care before I take on other things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God Is Here

The Power, which restores us to sanity, is not something remote and abstract, which we must search for by reading books and performing great feats. Our Higher Power is with us constantly and is involved in the minute details of every day. We do not have to wait and work to become acceptable to God. He accepts us now, just as we are.

To be aware of the presence of God in our lives every day, all we need is the willingness to be open to Him. What we may have spent years searching for or denying turns out to be the ground of our existence and the Power that sustains us every minute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

"We must positively and definitely extend forgiveness to everyone to whom it is possible that we can owe forgiveness, namely, to anyone who we think can have injured us in any way." ~~ Emmet Fox

bluidkiti 09-30-2020 05:29 AM

September 30

Empty Vessel

Behold, Lord,
An empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it. I am weak in faith; Strengthen thou me. I am cold in love; Warm me and make me fervent That my love may go out to my neighbour. I do not have a strong and firm faith; At times I doubt and am unable to trust thee altogether. O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in thee. In thee I have sealed the treasures of all I have. I am poor; Thou art rich and didst come to be merciful to the poor. I am a sinner; Thou art upright. With me there is an abundance of sin; In thee is the fullness of righteousness. Therefore, I will remain with thee of who I can receive But to whom I may not give.
Amen.

–- Martin Luther (1483-1546)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Thought

A drinking life isn't a happy life. Drinking cuts you off from other people and from God. One of the worst things about drinking is the loneliness. And one of the best things about A.A. is the fellowship. Drinking cuts you off from other people, at least from the people who really matter to you, your wife and children, your family and real friends. No matter how much you love them, you build up a wall between you and them by your drinking. You're cut off from any real companionship with them. As a result, you're terribly lonely.

So ............

Have I got rid of my loneliness?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Contemplation

Outlook

We choose the lives we lead Accepting full responsibility for our actions is one of the requirements of maturity. Not always the easiest thing to do. An unexpected benefit of accepting our responsibility is that it heightens our awareness of personal power Our attitude about any condition, present or future, is within our power, if we take it.

Life is "doing unto us" only what we allow. And it will favor us with whatever we choose. If we look for excitement, we'll find it. We can search out the positive in any experience. All situations present seeds of new understanding, if we are open to them. Our responses to the events around us determine whatever meaning life offers. We are in control of our outlook. And our outlook decides our future.

(From the writings of Karen Casey)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maintenance and Growth

It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. To the precise extent we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worthwhile. But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of harboring resentment is infinitely grave. For then we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the spirit. The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again. And with us, to drink is to die.

If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the sudden rage were not for us. Anger is the dubious luxury of normal men, but for us alcoholics it is poison.

Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 66

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a Quote

“God doesn’t give you the people you want, he gives you the people you need. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you the person you were meant to be.” – Anonymous A.A.